Thread: BSA rear guard screw size? Superstar, Meteor etc

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BSA rear guard screw size? Superstar, Meteor etc

Can anyone confirm the thread size of the rear trigger guard screw for a Superstar / Meteor and other models? I am carrying out a little cosmetic work on a Superstar and the screw is a bit 'challenged cosmetically' although does work. I have tried various screws from my collection but failed to find a replacement. Searching around on this forum and the internet in general leads me to the conclusion it could well be UNF 8-36.
    I know I could buy a new one but that irks me a bit although to be fair, a search for unf 8-36 screws shows they are not very cheap anyway.

I am told you can re-tap to 2BA but I see no need to do that. It might be more fun to get a 8-36 die and cut a new thread on a slightly oversize screw.

Interestingly the front stock screws can be replaced with 4mm although I doubt that is the original size.

All help appreciated.
    Cheers, Phil

Two bee eh all round.

I tried googling this a while back and just bought (last week) of John knibbs. Think it was a fiver posted. Like you I tried dozens but I'm not technically minded so just bought that incase I screw the thread up

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    Two bee eh all round.
    Sorry but they are not. I tried a 2BA bolt in the rear guard just to see and it is not the right size. I found a thread somewhere that informed me that the manufacturer's thread could be retapped to 2 BA quite easily though. Maybe that is what you have come across. And the front stock screws are certainly not 2BA. 4mm fits but I doubt if that thread form is the original spec.
    Cheers, Phil

M5 in my Supersports and Superstar. Thats the rear trigger guard screw, the fronts are M4.

This is getting more puzzling. Thank you evert. I tried M% but it was too big ... pity as I have a lot of them.

I am wondering if the best solution is to strip the action and re-tap the thread.... and put a nice screw in place.
    Cheers, Phil

At the same time ... if someone has an electronic version of the Owner's Manual, I would be very pleased to have a copy.
    Cheers again.
    Last edited by Phil Russell; 29-10-2020 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    This is getting more puzzling. Thank you evert. I tried M% but it was too big ... pity as I have a lot of them.

I am wondering if the best solution is to strip the action and re-tap the thread.... and put a nice screw in place.
    Cheers, Phil
    So, after making this duboius assumption based on memory and a bunch of mixed up supersport parts, I realized that my contribution would just add more confusion. So I went and actually measured some screws on some guns:

Late Supersport (presumably Birmingham made):
    Rear: M5X0,8
    Front: M4x0,7

Early Mk2 Supersport and Superstar:
    Rear: measures in at about 4,6mm, and the thread pitch is VERY close to 0,7, and does not match up with any of my TPI gauges.
    Front: M4x0,7

I measured a mk3 Meteor too:
    Rear: the same as the early Supersport and Superstar
    Front: not measured today, but earlier confirmed to be a 2BA (I actually made some screws that I threaded with a 2BA die for a meteor a while back.)