Thread: Quick HW95 177 question

Quick HW95 177 question

I have had come into my possession a 2004ish hw95 in 177 flavour, I was wondering for chrono purposes what pellet gives the best power in said gun so I can set it at 11 and a gnats with it .
    Thanks for any help
    Cheers richie

Depends on how the gun is set up wits spring/piston weight, and the breech taper can affect which pellet fits best too. I've seen some setups where a stiff skirt is needed to get the most energy.

But generally, JSB RS or RWS Hobby tend to give the highest power in springers.

Would agree entirely with the above.

When it comes to accuracy testing, they don't seem to be particularly pellet sensitive and mine gives excellent accuracy with just about everything from H&N, JSB, RWS and boxed Crosman Premier, with the Field Target Trophy and Baracuda FT just edging it. And the Baracuda FT and JSB Heavy being particularly good at longer range in breezy conditions.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Well in my eyes, you find the most accurate pellet first and then adjust the power of the rifle to that pellet, there's no point in having a rifle doing top power if you can't hit anything with it.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Well in my eyes, you find the most accurate pellet first and then adjust the power of the rifle to that pellet, there's no point in having a rifle doing top power if you can't hit anything with it.

Pete
    The problem with that approach is that you may end up with a rifle that goes over your countrys power limit with other pellets.
    Plus a rifles most accurate pellet may change with the setup.

Yep, agreed.

Pete, I think that what the OP is aiming (sic!) to achieve is to ensure that the rifle is safely under the limit with any pellet to keep legal and that will entail power testing with as wide a range of pellets as possible, but, most especially, with the ones most likely to attain higher energy figures.

I agree, the pellet that I USE for shooting will be the one that accuracy testing has revealed to be the most accurate in my gun / barrel combination.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Yep, agreed.

Pete, I think that what the OP is aiming (sic!) to achieve is to ensure that the rifle is safely under the limit with any pellet to keep legal and that will entail power testing with as wide a range of pellets as possible, but, most especially, with the ones most likely to attain higher energy figures.

I agree, the pellet that I USE for shooting will be the one that accuracy testing has revealed to be the most accurate in my gun / barrel combination.
    From my perspective.. I use Hobby's to set the power...then never use them again.
    Then a pellet testing session - over quite a time me thinks... to find the most accurate to suit the rifle.

Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Yep, agreed.

Pete, I think that what the OP is aiming (sic!) to achieve is to ensure that the rifle is safely under the limit with any pellet
    Pretty much this, if I set it to just over 11 with a pellet likely to give high energy figures it should be safely under , its a paper puncher so maximum downrange power isn't really an issue .
    I can find out what works best accuracy wise at a later point but legality is the main concern here. The only 177 pellets I have currently are 10.5 gn jsb and I know these will give a lower power than the light stuff(or should) ,so I'm looking for a recommendation on what pellet weight (roughly) will give me a high power reading so j can grab some for testing. (This is my first 177 springer so I have mainly heavier 177 pellets here atm for my pcps )
    Thanks again
    RIchie

Higher springer efficiency with lighter pellets isn't miles off the mark, but other factors also come into play, like pellet fit, skirt thickness, soft or hard composition, pellet release pressure......However, as evert said in post #2, depending on the internal set up of your particular rifle, there's a very strong possibility that the highest muzzle energy values will be achieved with the JSB Exact pellets in 7.3 grains and 7.87 grains flavour (RS and Express), maybe the "standard" 8.4 grains one and maybe the RWS Hobby. Responsibly set up with the most efficient of these should see you very safely under with other pellets.

Not sure how efficiency works with the lighter, lead free varieties, though.......

Sample Pack

Available from our sponsor including RS, Express and "standard" Exact if you didn't want to buy full tins.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, as Tony says, purely for max power setting, I'd consider JSB RS / express / exact but also try with superdome as the larger, tighter fitting skirts can give higher velocities with some setups. Hobbies worth a try too for combo of light weight and tightish skirt.

Between those 5, I'd be very surprised if you managed to find anything else that could take it over - and as a bonus they are all accurate, decent pellets, especially the JSBs, which are highly likely to be the most accurate too..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

richie,

It is dependent on a lot of factors.

However, in my HW95, the highest energy comes from JSB Express, with JSB RS and JSB Exact just slightly behind.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ