Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FX Chrono testing?

FX Chrono testing?

Just received my new FX chrono and after doing a quick test yesterday which reveled my DS mk4 to be even more consistent than i thought, today was intending to go down the range for a more extensive test against my LMBR chrono but as it was really windy and rain forecast it thought i would do a quick direct comparison test with my LNBR chrono in front by about 12-15" but found the results about 10 to 15fps apart so my question is there a minimum/maximum distance that need to be left in front of the FX chrono for it to read properly?

?? to read the same they would need to be the same distance from the muzzle because the pellet starts to slow pretty much as soon as it leaves the muzzle
    Even then they could read differently because there's a margin of error, my chrono has claimed accuracy of +/- 1% so two chrono's would be 2%, that's 16fps at 800fps velocity.

If the FX is the radar one I'd say having any object, like another chrono, immediately next to the projectile flight path could cause an erroneous reading, but that's a pure guess.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    ?? to read the same they would need to be the same distance from the muzzle because the pellet starts to slow pretty much as soon as it leaves the muzzle
    Even then they could read differently because there's a margin of error, my chrono has claimed accuracy of +/- 1% so two chrono's would be 2%, that's 16fps at 800fps velocity.

If the FX is the radar one I'd say having any object, like another chrono, immediately next to the projectile flight path could cause an erroneous reading, but that's a pure guess.
    What if the LNBR was doing 800 FPS
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

As long as the two readings are consistent. There may well be a degree of error but if are both the same....

The combro can be tweaked a bit.... i dont know if the FX or LNBR have any ability to tweak.

Of the two Inwould probably trust the LNBR more but I agree trying tou use both at the same time is something I would be wary of

You can adjust the LMBR.

There's some videos of the manufacturer testing the timing with an LED emitter running off a timed microchip. Obviously that relies on the accuracy of that chip but it indicates that at least they're interested in accuracy to some degree.

There's a number of errors you can have with any chrono. Some are user/operational, some are design errors. It's probably the consistency which is of more interest. That is unless you're part of the tin foil hat brigade.

I’ve got FX chrono and a pro Chrono, when shooting them together they read pretty consistent together, but the pro chrono sitting a couple of feet from the muzzle always reads upto 5ftps slower than the FX one at the end of the barrel. Tbh I would expect this as any projectile immediately starts to slow down when it exits the muzzle.
    Here is an example from the other day.

Fx chrono = 937,937,938 936,937
    Pro chrono= 935,933,935,933,936

See how the Pro Chrono always shoots consistently a few ftps slower but lower in conjunction with the FX readings.

The fx chrono IMO is a cracking bit of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by 247sniper View Post
    I’ve got FX chrono and a pro Chrono, when shooting them together they read pretty consistent together, but the pro chrono sitting a couple of feet from the muzzle always reads upto 5ftps slower than the FX one at the end of the barrel. Tbh I would expect this as any projectile immediately starts to slow down when it exits the muzzle.
    Here is an example from the other day.

Fx chrono = 937,937,938 936,937
    Pro chrono= 935,933,935,933,936

See how the Pro Chrono always shoots consistently a few ftps slower but lower in conjunction with the FX readings.

The fx chrono IMO is a cracking bit of kit.
    .177 has issues for some though so it seems

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

Spot on, and to add to it - the manual says the FX needs about a meter of clearance from the muzzel to the back stop and the chrono should be placed slightly behind or level with the muzzel. You can also adjust the sensitivity, tracking and calibration of the FX, but I'd be wary of adjusting the calibration unless you have a 100% known accurate chrono to measure it against

Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

peterd8877 is offline Anschutz connoisseur and marksman
    Life's too short.

I think my spacing was probably off hence the question and the difference was that the LMBR was reading higher velocity so i will try again, I am wanting some continuity between the two and is basically down to the fact i have been using the LMBR for setting up a DS heliboard and tuning a Kral Pro 500 so need them to at least be close as i will be using the FX at the range to monitor FPS vs POI.

Sorry... but if the two are reading consistant to one another whats the problem

If there is an average of 5 FPS you either add or subtract and you have a consistant measure as far as two different devices and technologies can ever be.

Unles you adjust the LNBR to mirror the FX.

The readings where not consistent with each other while 10 t0 15 fps different the two readings had large consistency difference, while the FX indicated that the DS was more consistent than with just the LNBR the two where way apart on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky-Ricky View Post
    The readings where not consistent with each other while 10 t0 15 fps different the two readings had large consistency difference, while the FX indicated that the DS was more consistent than with just the LNBR the two where way apart on occasion.
    I would trust broken beam over radar

Its the light all led type can and will give stupid readings that will vary in seconds.
    LMBR like all others, more light = a faster speed. Proved at a grand prix some years back when they used the crap Prochrono, rifle actual 781/783 come out 840 odd, screw silencer off hey presto 780 ish.
    Seen Combro register 170 ft/sec less just by swinging where fired 10 degrees left.
    Only way an led type chrono will work is in a controlled environment.

Quote Originally Posted by hareng View Post
    Its the light all led type can and will give stupid readings that will vary in seconds.
    LMBR like all others, more light = a faster speed. Proved at a grand prix some years back when they used the crap Prochrono, rifle actual 781/783 come out 840 odd, screw silencer off hey presto 780 ish.
    Seen Combro register 170 ft/sec less just by swinging where fired 10 degrees left.
    Only way an led type chrono will work is in a controlled environment.
    LMBR chronos do not rely on light like the others IE Air Chony etc they will work fine in all light condition even in darkness.