Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheridan C9 Blue Streak

Sheridan C9 Blue Streak

So the next project has turned up unexpectedly. Doing some work near my folks and my Dad asked me to drop by. They're clearing house trying to get ready for a pre-xmas move ( circumstances permitting ) and this has ended up with me. Purchased new by him somewhere around mid - late 80's for us to use as teenagers. Was shot a lot when new but probably only had occasional outings for the last two decades. Always stored with two pumps in it but apparently the bolt is getting a bit stiff to cock now. Should satisfy my curiosity and urge to tinker with stuff for a few weeks.

http://imgur.com/a/nAK9UEx
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

You lucky man that is a beautiful rifle.

Yes, nice early Sheridan CB9.probably 1991 manufactured in Benjamin's Racine factory, pre Crosman take over.

they were made after crosmans take over i think as well up to about 93-94 but they were the best of the c9's imo

blue streak

when where these first made, ime 74 and sure i had one in my teens, cheers ray

Managed to snatch a quick go and took a few goes to get it zeroed. My dad is a proper lefty but I shoot righty, and he'd been shooting 20m not 30m. Bolt was quite stiff but not binding and pretty smooth. Still cocks and shoots well on 6 pumps. My excuses for the last five shots strung horizontally across the middle are the weather, a trigger that's heavier than I'm used to, a scope that's parallaxed for 100yds, weather again and really poor quality jsb exact pellets ( more excuses to follow when I can think of them )

http://imgur.com/a/VedUcCU

Wood needs tidying up and the forend on the pump arm is not sat right so the metalwork inside may be warped slightly but nothing that cant be fixed I'm sure. It makes a right crack though, quite at odds with the complete lack of movement!

Quote Originally Posted by pigeonbasher1 View Post
    when where these first made, ime 74 and sure i had one in my teens, cheers ray
    The Sheridan was introduced in the US in 1947, first the model A and then the model B. The A in particular is arguably the highest-quality factory multi-pump ever made.

The nickel model C arrived in 1949 and the blued one in 1952. Small numbers came into the U.K. until the 12 ft-lbs limit was introduced in 1968 (the Sheridan typically made 14 ft-lbs on eight pumps).

Sussex Armoury started importing them again from the late 70s or very early 80s, with the hammer springs chopped to keep them legal by not exhausting all the air in one shot.

Later imports I think were more sophisticated, using a blow-off valve or similar to regulate power. They were fairly widely available, including through the OP’s CB9 series and to some extent the final C9As, though I don’t think huge numbers were sold as they were competing with things like HW springers.

blue streak

very interesting, thanks ray

That's a nice rifle, I like the larger pump handle.

Thumbs up

That's a beauty!

I've a couple of Streaks but the forend stocks are different, I do have one with the same type of stock but from memory it's marked as Benjamin, Or maybe Crosman (Can't recall for sure!)

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I had one quite a few years ago which ended up with Simmo on here. I polished it down to the brass underneath, and it came up really well.
    Rich enough to pay for streaming services online 24/7, without subsidising a left wing organisation. 🖕

Seems there's some love out there for this type of rifle, and thanks for the history lesson. I've not really looked in to the origins of them before and it's interesting to know there was a bit of history to the model.

I'm thinking I'll probably leave the metalwork as is for now. The brass is showing in a few places but given that it seems sound mechanically it seems daft to strip it down and risk disturbing something. The wood will definitely get some attention though. Still need to run it over a chrono as well. I do remember it locking up once when, as foolish teens, we tried to give it more than the recommended 8 pumps. Not entirely sure what the gunsmith did to sort it out but after a stern talking to by dad we never tried more than 8 pumps again and generally gave it 6 at most.

My first post ever was to ask about restoring the finish to my Benjamin 347.
    Members Herpquest (who unfortunately no longer posts anymore) and gingernut (who fortunately does) replied saying it would be better to retain the original untouched -- good advice!

Nobody believes me on non airgun related tho!

Sounds like it had valve lock from over pumping. They can be left for a while and hope the pressure reduces however the Benjamin sheridans and Crosman multi pumps I've had seem to hold air forever. The gunsmith probably removed the end cap, hammer and spring, inserted a rod of some sort onto the valve stem and gave it a wack to release the air.

Keep it stored with a pump and the pivot points lubed and they seem to go on forever.

Quote Originally Posted by charliemow13 View Post
    Seems there's some love out there for this type of rifle, and thanks for the history lesson. I've not really looked in to the origins of them before and it's interesting to know there was a bit of history to the model.

I'm thinking I'll probably leave the metalwork as is for now. The brass is showing in a few places but given that it seems sound mechanically it seems daft to strip it down and risk disturbing something. The wood will definitely get some attention though. Still need to run it over a chrono as well. I do remember it locking up once when, as foolish teens, we tried to give it more than the recommended 8 pumps. Not entirely sure what the gunsmith did to sort it out but after a stern talking to by dad we never tried more than 8 pumps again and generally gave it 6 at most.
    Last edited by ratbuster2240; 02-11-2020 at 10:39 PM.