Thread: Opinions on Hawke AMX Compact

Opinions on Hawke AMX Compact

Hello all,

I was wondering about the Hawke Airmax Compacts... they have been out for over a year now, and would be interested in owners' opinions on them please?

I have previously owned the little Hawke AMX 2-7x32 and loved it (why did I sell???). I generally like Hawke glass and I love the ret, hence my interest in the Compacts... but they are a step up in £...

Thanks in advance,
    Tim

I've got a 4-16x44 amx compact that I've had for a few months now. Other than a single outing to a range it's all been back garden stuff from 12 - 30m so can't really give a decent opinion on what it would be like in the field or over a HFT course. I find it is quite fussy on head position. I have to be getting myself in the right place everytime, or very close to it, or I dont get the correct sight picture. As far as I'm concerned that's a benefit though rather than a hindrance because its encouraging me to be consistent with my head position. Solid construction and all the adjusters are firm but nice and smooth.

This is my first decent quality scope so I've got nothing to measure it against tho. Sure there'll be others along who've got more experience and knowledge.
    Be good. And if you can't be good, be good at being bad.

I have 2, a 16x and a 24x. I have them on springers and mainly use them indoors out to 50yds. I initially struggled to get used to the 3" eye relief but soon overcome that. I find the glass is good for my eyes (I wear glasses but not for shooting so I have the ocular adjuster wound out quite far for the reticle to be clear).
    I do know of at least one person who had an issue with the scope going out of focus after taking the shot and returned the scope but mine have been faultless and I would buy another.

I have the 3-12x40 and 4-16x44. Their shorter overall lengths suit bullpups well and I have no reason to regret my purchases. I admit the 4-16x44 is currently in the cupboard as it's been replaced by a Sightron S-TAC but that's another step up in price....

The only real problem I've heard about them is that you mustn't over-tighten the front mount and should keep it as far from the saddle as possible or focussing accuracy can be affected.

I recently put the x24 on my .177 HW97K and so far I’m very pleased with it. I’m still learning how to use the reticle, but otherwise a straightforward, well made scope with bright, clear optics that holds zero.

Thumbs up AIRMAX 30 SF COMPACT 4-16x44

Quote Originally Posted by charliemow13 View Post
    I've got a 4-16x44 amx compact that I've had for a few months now. Other than a single outing to a range it's all been back garden stuff from 12 - 30m so can't really give a decent opinion on what it would be like in the field or over a HFT course. I find it is quite fussy on head position. I have to be getting myself in the right place everytime, or very close to it, or I dont get the correct sight picture. As far as I'm concerned that's a benefit though rather than a hindrance because its encouraging me to be consistent with my head position. Solid construction and all the adjusters are firm but nice and smooth.

This is my first decent quality scope so I've got nothing to measure it against tho. Sure there'll be others along who've got more experience and knowledge.
    I agree with this. I installed this scope on my HW95L and so far it is has been excellent, compact, 6 brightness levels for IR and side focus. I believe the glass is equal to the Nikons & Burris scopes that I also have. My wife enjoys shooting the Weihrauch using the IR feature.

Yep, I have 2 4-16x44 and love them
    Great on 10x for hunting
    Very clear glass and I find them excellent in low light in the woods .

Thanks gents, all much appreciated. Definitely something to consider for the new year (3-12x40 I think for me), all being well!

Cheers,
    Tim