Thread: Superstar trigger help please

Superstar trigger help please

I have not admitted defeat but ..... stripping a BSA Superstar no real problem especially as I used Pete Evand AGW guide. All now done but the trigger assembly has me puzzled. In Pete's article he showed the various pins to remove in order to get the sear out of the way to allow the piston to come out ..... OK OK I now know this was not necessary but I did try depressing the sear but got nowhere. Maybe I pressed in the wrong place (). But even though Pete shows a diagram of the bits and even mentioned one pin holding the two springs, he did not give advice on reassembly.

Sp ... does anyone have a reassembly guide ... BSAOG is no more .... or notes to help me put the bits back together. I may be getting there slowly but have spent more time than I expected on this and a little advice would be welcome.
    I also searched for Supersport trigger but found nothing terribly helpful.

All help appreciated,
    Cheers, Phil

Black mark for me, I promise to try harder in future
    Now from memory, which isn't always reliable, but will check the photos later. With the action on its back, the main sear in first, I think there is a pin which holds it loosely in place. There is another "double legged" spring which straddles the sear, i think its legs sit on the pins which stick out form the sear, and then the little centre piece on the spring needs to be depressed before moving a smaller in from the side to keep it tensioned. That I believe is the worse bit as its a bit of a fiddle.
    The next bit uses the v shaped spring which fits between the main sear and the trigger sear, this must be the right way round, as it is easy to refit the wrong way. After that its just the trigger stop pin.
    Not sure if that is explained well, will dig out the photos to see if they stimulate the grey cells!

Just checked, with the main sear in place, the sear tensioning spring and the v shaped spring go in together and share the same pin, then the little protruding tongue on the two legged spring is pushed down and the pin slid in to lock that little tongue in place. Then the trigger complete with its blade and spring.

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    Black mark for me, I promise to try harder in future
    Now from memory, which isn't always reliable, but will check the photos later. With the action on its back, the main sear in first, I think there is a pin which holds it loosely in place. There is another "double legged" spring which straddles the sear, i think its legs sit on the pins which stick out form the sear, and then the little centre piece on the spring needs to be depressed before moving a smaller in from the side to keep it tensioned. That I believe is the worse bit as its a bit of a fiddle.
    The next bit uses the v shaped spring which fits between the main sear and the trigger sear, this must be the right way round, as it is easy to refit the wrong way. After that its just the trigger stop pin.
    Not sure if that is explained well, will dig out the photos to see if they stimulate the grey cells!
    Thanks PJ. Do the 2 springs ... one hefty one with long legs and a small tab underneath and the second a lighter spring in a sort of V shape both fit on the same pin. Indeed Pete Evans (is that you PJ?) mentions this in his strip guide. But I wonder if this is a typo...
    The main sear sits in the action, pivoted on a pin approx 5 mm diameter .. the one the u/l long spring clips to. I reckon the hefty spring legs sit inside the trigger housing under a fixed pin in the main sear. When fitted like this the spring legs extend beyond the trigger housing by about 3mm. I cannot see the legs in your photos. The smaller spring straddles the larger spring with, if both springs are indeed on the same pin, a pin going through the holes in the springs. I got that far OK. I think the loop in this spring sits around the sear bit that the trigger locates with. I thought I had it at this point but apparently not as there is no tension on the main sear. Somewhere I am missing adding tension to the small tab bit on the hefty spring. Must try harder as I have clearly missed a trick. Could it be that the 2 springs do not share the same pin? From your photos there is a hole in the trigger housing to the left of the one your drift points at. Does the large spring pivot here? This would bring the spring legs back a bit into the housing. And if this were so, the small tab on this spring would be bearing on the pin from the photo you point at and so add tension to the big spring and the main sear.
    Terrible explanation I know as I have written as I look at the article from AGW March 2019. Must try it in the morning even if I am wrong.

Cheers, Phil

PJ and Pete Evans are indeed the same animal.
    Looked at pics again, I'm sure both the springs pivot on the same pin. The legs shouldn't protrude, sure they rest either side of the main sear. I remember swivelling the V shaped spring out of the way, to allow me to press on the little bit that protrudes to lock with the pin. That long spring is strong.
    Is the main sear in the right way round, you are right its the largest pin which holds that in position.

They can be a bit fiddly to get back together... I found a good way to assemble them a while ago, when I was playing around a lot with various springs and tophats. Its about assembling everything in the right order.
    Unfortunately, the last time I had one apart, about a month ago, I didnt remember the trick anymore

Thanks Pete ... very good to meet you albeit remotely.
    This is a puzzle.I will have to look again in the morning. I can appreciate that the small tab needs to be tensioned but if both springs pivot on the same pin (above the drift, photo labelled 'sear spring') I am puzzled as to how the tab is tensioned as there is not another pin to the right of the pivot. But if the big sear spring pivoted on the pin to the left then the tab could locate (I think) on the pin the drift points at.

Oh, such fun!
    Thanks again, I will report back.
    Cheers, Phil

Just got a pic here of the supersport trigger group, which is similar.
    Viewed from the left side. Top left large pin for the top sear, middle far left above rivet would be the pin for the two springs to pivot. To the right of this would be the pin to lock and tension the large two legged spring, further right is the larger trigger stop pin.
    Bottom pin is the blade retaining pin, this particular pic shows three holes of differing sizes which are not used. Let us know how you get on.

Sent you an email of the trigger group from the left side to help illustrate my ham fisted description.

all sorted thanks to Pete, p.j.

Thank you Pete.

Now, as a shot in the dark does anyone know the O ring sizes for the rotary breech? I am pretty certain the small one is BS010 but not certain of the large one ... maybe 1.5mm cs x 25mm id.

Cheers, Phil