Thread: Webley MKVI problems

Webley MKVI problems

Just repaired another MKVI, the cylinder timing was all out. The cylinder lock would not release the cylinder when the hand (pawl as some call it) is pushing up. I sorted it by reshaping the lock. The trigger return spring was also weak, not returning trigger to battery. Had to reshape that, and quite a job to refit till I worked out a method. Has anyone else had these problems ? Probably from wear and tear. I have already made a replacement seal for these, one of the most difficult shapes to cut in polyurethane.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

That seems unusual, I've got a very early one that I bought secondhand, a very well used one. The only real problem that it had was slop in the hinge, I just fitted some shims to take up the slack and it's now spot on. The cylinder lock-up and timing are just perfect (I was very impressed when I first got it) and haven't noticed any change in that so far.
    I'll keep an eye on mine, just to see if it goes the same way though. I'm wondering if the cylinder stop was travelling too far on yours and causing the timing issue, caused by wear and tear on those moving parts. As for the spring, that may well just deform again over time, the next time it happens it might be an idea to re-shape it, heat it up to the correct hardness, quench and then heat gently to temper it (to remove the brittleness from hardening it). It's either that or make a new spring.
    If you ever need replacement Dan Wesson 715 & Colt SAA hammer springs feel free to PM me