Thread: TargetScan For Scoring

TargetScan For Scoring

Hello to All,

@sgibbar submitted his last two (2) sets of MPL cards scored by TargetScan.

I am very impressed with the looks of this App

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Hi Russ
    It was recommended to me by a British pistol club member when talking about scoring. At less than the price of 2 packs of RWS R10 I thought it would be worth trying. Loaded onto an iPad no problem, able to set up and use without even having to refer to FAQ so passes intuitive use test 😉. When you get group holes it can be worth repeating the scan/photo after rotating the card if it isn’t getting a good picture, this could be because I’m using white paper behind the target rather than the light box setting that they offer (use iPad as light box and phone as camera).

I've been using it for a year now after seeing another pistol shooter using it at a comp we were at. I'd love to get an electronic target but can't justify the cost. Spotting my shots and using this app has been part of the regime thats taken my Av to 550 now. Brilliant bit of kit.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

You should be okay with white paper, it's what I use with no issues. Any retakes are usually down to a picture not being square to the camera but as a rule it's pretty forgiving.
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Quote Originally Posted by bootneckbob View Post
    You should be okay with white paper, it's what I use with no issues. Any retakes are usually down to a picture not being square to the camera but as a rule it's pretty forgiving.
    Rob, your message box is full, time for a clear out ;-)
    My Toys:-

FWB P70FT+Elite 4200 6-24x40.
    Sako Range+Leupold VXIII6.5-20x40 EFR.
    Anschutz 1407 + B & L 36x
    Marlin .38 CBC Underlever+Marbles tang sight.
    Remington 12c Pump action.
    Martini Henry Bonehill conversion with Greener Barrel.

What next

Speak your truth quietly & clearly and listen to others,
    even the dull & ignorant, they too have their story.

Housekeeping has been and cleaned up! Thanks.

Kloppville- 10,533 miles from Lake Mulwala.
    Tried 'targetscan' for the first time today. it's utter pants(maybe)....... it scored 5 in the black when only 3 were in the black and it ignored the other two shots completely, so by eye, 9,8,7,4,2.(scoring up)
    Targetscan said 10,9,8,8,7.

Do you have to calibrate it or summat?

This was done on a NSRA Air8 target with the same setting in Targetscan.

Confused?

Cheers.

Roy.
    If it moves.....shoot it!..If it don't move.....shoot it in case it tries to!!!
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

I find it works best for me using my tablet as a lightbox (with a plain, light coloured screen) and then (as mentioned before) make sure that your phone is square on and achieves correct focus. Even then you will sometimes need to manually add some shots if the app doesn't pick them up.

Atb
    Chris
    BSA Ultra Multi .22 ( Falcon Merlin 10x42T, `Tweaky` reg, HW mod, Cobra Merlin+Dipol L3 ), Skan M32 .177 (3-12x44 mini SWAT), Alros Trailsman .177 (Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 , `Tweaky` reg ), Steyr Evo 10e and a Daystate Pulsar. 177..

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_SwampThing View Post
    I find it works best for me using my tablet as a lightbox (with a plain, light coloured screen) and then (as mentioned before) make sure that your phone is square on and achieves correct focus. Even then you will sometimes need to manually add some shots if the app doesn't pick them up.

Atb
    Chris
    I have found that you need to tell it how many it’s looking for, I did put in ten then shot five, it found ten! It also helps by identifying the obvious and you can then drag the odd ones around to set onto the other holes. This is needed when you get a hole in the target with 3-5 shots in on3 group. It also seems to be important to have the target flat against the background again to stop shadows. It’s not perfect but for £20 it is pretty good once you’ve got to grips with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Retracted_Yeti View Post
    Tried 'targetscan' for the first time today. it's utter pants(maybe)....... it scored 5 in the black when only 3 were in the black and it ignored the other two shots completely, so by eye, 9,8,7,4,2.(scoring up)
    Targetscan said 10,9,8,8,7.

Do you have to calibrate it or summat?
    Hello Roy, dare I ask if you read the Help section on the app?

I know men don't like to read instructions but I find it really helps and hasn't made me bleed once a month or have mood swings for no reason at all.

You do need to tell it how many shots its looking for.......

It's really easy to use if you spend a little time on it.

I would also add it doesn't pick up shots out of the black very well if at all. I stopped shooting in the white a while ago but might be worth considering if 'you' (anyone reading this) don't tent to keep all your shots in the black. If it knows you shot 5 but can only see 3 it will drop 2 in which you can manually move.

Hello Roy, dare I ask if you read the Help section on the app?

I know men don't like to read instructions but I find it really helps and hasn't made me bleed once a month or have mood swings for no reason at all.

You do need to tell it how many shots its looking for.......

It's really easy to use if you spend a little time on it.
    Will try reading the help section(yeah right! )
    And isn't manually moving shots called cheating?

Cheers.

Roy.
    Light travels faster than sound....this is why I appear bright until you hear me speak!!!

Yeah, why would anyone buy an app to help them and then cheat? I've always thought anyone like that should just buy themselves a trophy, cut out the middleman.
    I'd suggest you learn to use it now you've spent the money, it's actually very good. I'd love to have an electronic target system but dont have a spare £1-2K.

Also, every comp I've entered requires the shooters to keep their cards for random checking or possibly because of all the 50 x50s?
    Last edited by bootneckbob; 12-11-2020 at 06:55 AM.

Yeah, why would anyone buy an app to help them and then cheat? I've always thought anyone like that should just buy themselves a trophy, cut out the middleman.
    I'd suggest you learn to use it now you've spent the money, it's actually very good. I'd love to have an electronic target system but dont have a spare £1-2K.

Also, every comp I've entered requires the shooters to keep their cards for random checking or possibly because of all the 50 x50s?
    I missed the smiley face from the end of the cheat bit! sarcastic wit don't always work the way its meant on an internet forum!
    Hey ho!

Cheers.

Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by Retracted_Yeti View Post
    I missed the smiley face from the end of the cheat bit! sarcastic wit don't always work the way its meant on an internet forum!
    Wasn't been sarcastic Roy

I was stating I don't know why someone would cheat; only cheating themselves. Not a dig at you.

Mind you I do know of a chap at a club I shot at years ago who was found to have been cheating with his BR cards. Using a knitting needle to punch the holes!

That didn't do him much good as I recall. Banned from the club and Membership cancelled. Not good for club either.