Thread: Hw45 has it had any changes over the years

Hw45 has it had any changes over the years

Hi does anyone know if the hw 45 is made the same ? I was offered one for me to buy,just wondering if parts are still available ,he told me he bought it in the 1980s thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by poacher19 View Post
    Hi does anyone know if the hw 45 is made the same ? I was offered one for me to buy,just wondering if parts are still available ,he told me he bought it in the 1980s thanks in advance
    Check here https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24564/HW45/

Almost all spares are still available and those that are not may not be in stock but still available.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    The later ones have two power levels, early ones are still great! You may find this useful
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I thought it was the early 177 that had two power levels?

From my experience the early ones are nicer and they don't have that stupid white warning lettering on the side.

In terms of parts, I'm pretty certain most parts will fit from old to new guns (except for the ones with the horrible elephant's foot woodwork, which have a different grip frame).

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    I thought it was the early 177 that had two power levels?

From my experience the early ones are nicer and they don't have that stupid white warning lettering on the side.

In terms of parts, I'm pretty certain most parts will fit from old to new guns (except for the ones with the horrible elephant's foot woodwork, which have a different grip frame).
    The .177” and the rare .20” definitely had the two power levels. Roughly 3 and 4.5-5 ft-lbs respectively. The .22” didn’t, full power only. Though some people retrofitted .22” barrels to .177”/.20” guns, giving you a two power .22”.

I think some folk also fitted non-factory .25” barrels, which are either fun or stupid depending on how you feel about .25” in a pistol. Or both.

I think but aren’t 100% sure that the two power thing is no longer a feature. It’s no great loss, IMHO. If you want a 3 ft-lbs springer, there are smaller, lighter, cheaper and probably better choices.

The other change I know of is the sights. Older ones have plain black sights. Later ones have fibre-optics. That’s a marmite thing. As an old-school paper-puncher, I do not like fibre-optics. Others do. Each to his own (though, obviously, those who like fibre-optics are utterly wrong and probably sick in the head ).

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Two power levels was only in .177 when it started, now both calibres. No great loss as mentioned, recoil usually feels worse in low power and throws shots high
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Antoni is online now There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    .. some folk also fitted non-factory .25” barrels, which are either fun or stupid depending on how you feel about .25” in a pistol. Or both.
    I concur, as a past owner of a completely impractical Orion 6 Brocock cartridge revolver which someone had modified to .25. It was running full legal power and I shot it at 28 yards with a massive holdover.

I have an elephant foot HW45. The elephant's foot is not big enough for my right hand but comfortable in my left. I like the fibre optics - they help my aging eyes. The ccurrent non-elephant foot models have the fibres IIRC, the earlier ones don't.

I'm very tempted to buy a non-elephant foot version so as to have both versions.

There are some parts which are different (apart from the frame and grips of course) but it seems they are all available.

I often shoot my 45 in my living room (well at least there's no chance of a pellet leaving my property!). It would be sensible to use its low power setting as the pellets would remain intact and easy to find if they depart the pellet catcher, but I always use its full power setting for one of the the reasons in the quote above.

Plus, I find it's harder to cock the gun in half power mode because you need a longer time with muscle force in your arm to get it right. This is really nit-picking, but if the whole point of accurate pistol shooting relies on the lowest possible heart rate and arms which have not done any work. It's just much easier to cock it full-power.

Long and short of it is that Youtube will tell you what you need to know, as it does with all guns. I reckon it's about 14 times more useful than any airgun m̶a̶g̶a̶z̶i̶n̶e̶ publication for that purpose.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

thanks to everyone for the info i will purchase now ....thanks again people