Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: most accurate air rifle

leadpig is offline sheet lead welder extraordinaire

most accurate air rifle

we have had the best all round air rifle, but what do people consider to be the most accurate

I’d imagine it’d be pretty hard to beat an electronic Daystate
    A Wise Man Can Act A Fool, A Fool Can Not Act Wise

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    my Pro Elite
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thumbs up

A dedicated 10 metre rifle or a competition benchrest set up.

My latest S200 is the most accurate rifle I've owned and I've owned a lot over the years, including at least 7/8 S200, s.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

For pcp’s mine is the RWS500, manufactured by Daystate, closely followed by my Impact GSX200. All the rifles I have owned have been capable of better results than I can shoot
    Last edited by ken69; 09-11-2020 at 08:06 AM.

This is a fascinating topic and one I have often thought about. There are so many factors to take into account, the first of which is well illustrated by the replies so far: the human touch. People are reporting on the most accurate when they are shooting the rifle. Nothing wrong in this but that fact that you get many different combinations shows the difficulty of getting a definitive answer.
    Then you have the pellet factor. This can have a great influence on accuracy.
    But can the accuracy factor be measured? For a pcp could the rifle be clamped in a jig and fed a variety of pellets to determine the 'inherent accuracy' of the gun-pellet combination with no human influence? I am not sure if this would work for a springer though; but maybe it would only need more thought being given to the clamping procedure.
    My own favourite? HW100 or MK3FTR followed closely by my HW77K (if I do my bit to perfection, which is rare). And must not forget an S400.
    Maybe it truly is a case of trying various combinations until you find the one that suits you...
    Cheers, Phil

The one with the best shooter at the trigger.

That'll be none of mine, then!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

[QUOTE=TonyL;7949092]The one with the best shooter at the trigger.

So right!!! But for most of us it is back to the one we can most often hit our target with.

For straight clamped accuracy there is a video on the FWB website showing a clamped rifle putting ten pellets through a single hole which they then have to push a pellet through by hand as it it is too small to drop one through (well worth a look).

mmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by leadpig View Post
    we have had the best all round air rifle, but what do people consider to be the most accurate
    AA pro target had daystates etc etc but pro target was best all round

As Phil has eluded too, I think paramount it must be a consistency issue, if a rifle is consistent with a small fps variation and pellet quality is good again with few variants, then inherently it should/ could be accurate. Feinwerkbau always used to include a factory 5 shot group with their guns that very few of us could emulate, try yes copy NO!.....
    I did used to shoot comps with a Saxby Palmer Orion 6.....a lot of hard work, matching cartridges and batching their velocities, match pellets, throating the barrel and all sorts.... Yes it was accurate..... Not. Feinwerkbau accurate....
    So my vote goes to anything with great consistency, which will in turn inhance accuracy

There is a reason why most if not all the top bench rest guys use FX Impacts/(FX)

How is that accuracy defined ?
    My Rapid .25 with the correct pellet is stunning, I have no doubt that mounted in a jig the pellets would all go through the exact same hole.
    Freehand I can put a mag of 12 through a 10-12mm hole at fairly rapid-fire pace.

OTOH change the pellet & it's more like 50-100mm.

If another rifle shoots any brand to groups of say 25mm or better which is "most accurate"

I have and old titan manituo that with the right person behind it i think would push most of the new stuff to a tight line .
    I am an ok shooter but the right person had a go of it a england shooter and he put 2 through the same hole on 10 meter and he was very impressed how easy it was to shoot .
    What's the say "The old'uns are the best"

Probably - the HW100KT ... had four over the years and each has been stunning. The latest has just had the full HW100Tuning works done to it, with the big titanium cylinder, can’t wait to try out after lockdown.