Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: most accurate air rifle

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    for me its my FAC MFR .22 with a smooth twist X barrel, extremely accurate with slugs and bis mags .
    I'm forever blowing "Bubbles"

I last saw my old Steyr at an HFT shoot in Maidenhead many moons ago. It was heavily modded as I recal and sporting a seville prange digital cammo stock. Wonder where it is now. That would be interesting. Such a shame Steyr dropped the barley twist barrels.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    What do think caused the rifling to wear, or was it Hw's first attempt at a smooth twist barrel ?
    I have always found HW rifling to be very shallow so perhaps it was not worn?
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    The one with the best shooter at the trigger.

That'll be none of mine, then!
    Pretty much the truth. Another factor is familiarity with the rifle tested. If you tested everything in a vice operated by a computer to avoid human error you would soon see how little difference there actually is.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

'Most accurate air rifle'

Over what range? A 10m dedicated match rifle will put pellet though pellet hole in the right hands at 10m but at 50m?
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    'Most accurate air rifle'

Over what range? A 10m dedicated match rifle will put pellet though pellet hole in the right hands at 10m but at 50m?
    My thoughts exactly. It's a very wooly question and like a lot of what I see at work with requirements documents.

Never seen a Daystate at the ISSF final
    Steyr Challenge HFT - HW97K - BSA Mercury Challenger - Anschutz 9015 One - AA Pro Target - AA Pro Elite - ASI Paratrooper (R) - Walther LP500

Most accurate i have ever shot...top 5

1. Daystate Platinum (awesome on the zero range but a turd on a HFT course)
    2. Steyr LG100 - 18 years old and barley twist (still have this and currently set up as a FT rig)
    3. Steyr LG100 - 17 years and is trialling a Hw100 60cm barrel (my current HFT rig)
    4. AA MPR
    5. AA MPR

Great barrels i've tried on the Steyr and kept as spares are a machined CZ, barley twist and a Steyr specially selected. I recently serviced a Steyr Hunting 5 auto and that was incredible on the zero range.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Some rifles just want to shoot straighter than others; sometimes better than another same make, same model.
    The most accurate rifles are the ones that just hold it together, and keep on doing so. Of course it does have to have that raw bullet on bullet one hole ability, but the rest is keep doing it without continuous pampering and twiddling.
    Keepers should be rifles that are "easy" to hit the things you want to hit, and a lot of that is because you can fit to the rifle. They keep doing it too.
    Get a rifle that does, and the rest is up to you.

I've had some lovely rifles over the years. My Park 92 keeps on impressing me. My Theoben Fenman keeps hitting the things I want to hit.
    My Annie rimfires shooting Eley never miss a beat. The group only as large as I make it, and given correct driver input make tiny tiny groups. On good days its necessary to aim off to get the "hole" bigger.
    My Rem 700 5R Milspec .308 semi custom is very forgiving and nat drives.

Other rifles just not going to do it, or not going to do it for you. Again keep the ones that make it easy.
    Last edited by Muskett; 17-11-2020 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    bog standard HW85 (early model) with the original spring and virtually no discernable rifling left!
    Is that a sub- FAC? My "untouched" full power (Norwegian, no power limits) late eighties HW85 is a bit jumpy.
    It can shoot som really good groups when I do my part, but seems like it might benefit from some work.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Is that a sub- FAC? My "untouched" full power (Norwegian, no power limits) late eighties HW85 is a bit jumpy.
    It can shoot som really good groups when I do my part, but seems like it might benefit from some work.
    There we go again, please dont take this personel but the shooter needs the work!!!
    Practice practice practice, consistency of hold, grip and trigger action is paramount with a springer.
    Dont try and make it into a recoiless rifle like many do, you just kill the springer and take away its soul!!!
    Buy a pneaumatic or practice.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    There we go again, please dont take this personel but the shooter needs the work!!!
    Practice practice practice, consistency of hold, grip and trigger action is paramount with a springer.
    Dont try and make it into a recoiless rifle like many do, you just kill the springer and take away its soul!!!
    Buy a pneaumatic or practice.
    I don't think a 95 would ever challenge as the most accurate air rifle as, in standard form at least, they are just too difficult to extract consistent accuracy from. I have much better results with my HW80's and Diana 34's
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by bootneckbob View Post
    My thoughts exactly. It's a very wooly question and like a lot of what I see at work with requirements documents.

Never seen a Daystate at the ISSF final
    Well maybe because Daystate dont make ISSFVcompliant rifles I am aware of.

Bit like saying you dont see pedal bikes at morocross
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    I don't think a 95 would ever challenge as the most accurate air rifle as, in standard form at least, they are just too difficult to extract consistent accuracy from. I have much better results with my HW80's and Diana 34's
    Funny things, HW95s.

Some swear by them as the best mid-weight 12ish ft-lbs b/b ever.

Others say what you have.

Me, never had a 95, but I do have a 1980s 85 (Luxus), which was its higher quality predecessor.

And you know what? I much prefer the Diana 34 series, FWB Sport, and Webley Omega/Tomahawk/Longbow. I just don’t get on well with that particular HW.

I have a .22 falcon prairie cs sub12 that would take some beating out to around 45 yards
    Also my rapids (fac) .20 & 22 still amaze me after many years
    Falcon Prairie CS.22 Huntsmans .20 Theoben .20 & .22 FAC

Pembroke, Pembrokeshire, South West Wales
    Probably not the most accurate guns in general but out of all the ones I've owned, the two that I have found to be the most accurate and consistent. Falcon Prairie CM .22 and Shin Sung Career 707 .22. up to and including 70m bench rest at our club. The Falcon particularly takes some beating, even besides the more expensive HW100s and Red wolf's that other patrons shoot.