Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loading 44/40 with blackpowder.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    There are a number of reasons why the British were overwhelmed at Isandhlwana, but fouling was not one of them. The MAIN cause was the way that the troops in the outer defence lines were deployed at ten-yard spaces - giving the 5000+ Zulu ample time to rush and overwhelm them.

There is an excellent movie on Youtube that examines this facet of the action, and uses reenactment to show how it took place. Remember that the soldiers were standing still, and the Zulu were running at them at around 15mph...
    Quote Originally Posted by mag44uk View Post
    I really fancy another Uberti - probably an 1873 as they seem available.
    I used to have a Yellowboy 1866 in 45 colt that I tried BP in.
    What an absolute pain to clean after.
    That is why I have opted for the 44/40. Less crud going back into the action with the bottle necked case.( Gonna give it a try, If its all to much will revert back to nitro.)

Quote Originally Posted by thibben View Post
    Martin,

The bullet and lube you use will make a difference on accuracy and consistency of operation, I'm assuming here you will be using lead bullets

Normal smokeless lubes do not work very well with BP, something like SPG is a very good lube off the shelf, if not you can easy make BP lube.

Also the hardness of the bullet makes a significant difference in BPCR's such as 45-70, 40-65's etc, not familiar with smaller capacity cases like the 44-40, but too hard a bullet and you will not get good accuracy. The BP explodes and 'smacks' the base of the bullet which then obturates into the rifling nicely. Too hard a bullet alloy (such as you find in cast bullets for smokeless) and this does not happen. This is also why and over powder wad is good in BP cartridges.

The choice of primer is more critical with BP, been lots of work carried out re. magnum vs standard, under powder or over primer paper discs/wads but again more related to the larger BPCR calibres.

Brgds Terry
    Cheers Terry. I take everything you say onboard.When I get my 44/40 will report back how it all goes.