Thread: Bullets powder + cases

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bullets powder + cases

I know this is a dumb question to most , but its one i cant get my head round . If i look at load data for a given powder i cant find the listed bullets to match what i have or if the make of case matters .
    Do i say go to HORNADY for data on 140 ELD Match and use the amount of powder listed regardless of powder manufacturer , or any 140gn bullet and any use cases i have .
    I found my powder data , looked for hornady 140 ELD and they only had 149 SST , So what do i do to get the correct combination data .

What is the cartridge that you are reloading & what powder(s) do you have and what bullets?
    The cases are not that important other than overall quality cases such as Lapua

6.5CM , powder is VIHTAVUORI H555 , And bullets 140 ELD Match . and the brass will be the Hornady i have used . I'm told its follow the bullet data for load + COL , and tweak from there .

Quote Originally Posted by monkeytree View Post
    I know this is a dumb question to most , but its one i cant get my head round . If i look at load data for a given powder i cant find the listed bullets to match what i have or if the make of case matters .
    Do i say go to HORNADY for data on 140 ELD Match and use the amount of powder listed regardless of powder manufacturer , or any 140gn bullet and any use cases i have .
    I found my powder data , looked for hornady 140 ELD and they only had 149 SST , So what do i do to get the correct combination data .
    Hornady make the bullets, not the powder, I have found in the past that using the bullet makers load data the max loads can be a fair way above the powder manufacturers max loads.
    Viht have load data for the 143gn ELDx, this could be your starting point as it is a heavier bullet so the min and max loads should be safe with a lighter projectile.
    As for length, I would suggest that you start with a calibre diameter seated into the neck, as long as that isn't reaching the lands.

Thanks , very informative especially the min max safe loads . i have some factory 140ELD MATCH and ive measured those at 2.8 , so im going to stick with that as i will be using the used cases , but a great guide for the depth and i will check that to the factory oal ..

what is the X in ELD X ? , Not that it matters much

Quote Originally Posted by monkeytree View Post
    what is the X in ELD X ? , Not that it matters much
    Expanding, it is a controlled expansion hunting bullet.

MT

Measure the vol. of a fired case accurately and get someone to run all the numbers thru' QL if you want or just start at the lower end or 'something sensibly close' re component combination and develop a load as per normal (or even better the '10 round method' if you fancy being different?)

PM me if you would like to try the former?

Terry