Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meteor box

Meteor box

I was sorting through some bits recently and came across my old BSA Meteor box. The rifle is long gone and I wonder how much the box would be worth?
    Anyone tell me?
    It is for a .22 rifle serial number Th79xxx & is a bit grubby from being in a loft, there are some marks where parcel tape has been (glue residue but not sticky).
    How do I attach photos??
    Last edited by majex45; 16-11-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by majex45 View Post
    I was sorting through some bits recently and came across my old BSA Meteor box. The rifle is long gone and I wonder how much the box would be worth?
    Anyone tell me?
    It is for a .22 rifle serial number Th79xxx & is a bit grubby from being in a loft, there are some marks where parcel tape has been (glue residue but not sticky).
    How do I attach photos??
    Is no one able to help me with this? Are they THAT rare?

Is no one able to help me with this? Are they THAT rare?
    John Knibbs says it's for a Meteor made between 1979 and 1993 (at least that's when the rifle was made, he says). No idea on value, sorry.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks

Thanks Garvin,
    Interesting information.
    Best regards
    Majex45

Here are some pictures of Peter's BSA Meteor box.

Brian

Probably worth around £40 to a collector.

Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post
    Probably worth around £40 to a collector.
    Thanks for the input. I know Webley pistol boxes seem to fetch good money so I have hopes for my box.
    I just have to work out how to post it.

there was a complete carton for a 70's bsa on a while back,meteor or mercury,i cant remember exactly which but it went for a surprising price,more than the guns go for on here,it may have been £150+ ish or something equally as daft,
    atb
    b

Thanks for the input. I know Webley pistol boxes seem to fetch good money so I have hopes for my box.
    I just have to work out how to post it.
    Hello Peter,
    It's hard to estimate a value for something which rarely appears for sale, so you might want to consider letting it find its own value via internet auction.
    Brian

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Without the polystyrene inner, I suspect it would be of only limited appeal to a collector.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

saw a webley Vulcan empty box do £300 once,4 months later and an identical box didnt even sell for £40
    it all depends on how bad someone wants one at the time of selling

Wouldn't think a meteor box is worth the post cost the meteor rifle is not that collectable maybe a mint mk1 or mk2 ok the later versions were made in their hundreds of thousands ive bought meteors for 30 quid so a box maybe a tenner.

Dave.

Regarding valuation I'm on DM80's side in this case. A few years ago (at Kempton Park I think it was), I brought a complete boxed unused Meteor for £80 and was worried about having paid too much. Meteors most likely fetch more as a parts gun rather than as a complete entity, so that would raise the value of the outer carton that you've got a little, but to be frank if it fetched £15 I'd be surprised. It's real value lies in what someone with everything else that belongs with the kit (but with an outer carton in a worse condition than your one) would want to pay for it.

JMHO, Vic Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Without the polystyrene inner, I suspect it would be of only limited appeal to a collector.
    Agreed and if the end label is present, it will be numbered to a different gun. This severely limits desirability to a collector.

John

Hmmmmm....

Thank you everyone for your help. I'll cogitate for a bit them decide how best to sell it.
    £15 sounds a bit low considering everyone has told me how rare it is, but then again, £150 sounds rather a lot for a piece of cardboard.
    I would prefer to sell it here rather than but don't want to "do" myself when there is an expensive time coming up.
    Also...I have my eye on a couple of raaaaather good books that I covet & they are NOT cheap.