Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meteor box

Quote : "£15 sounds a bit low considering everyone has told me how rare it is".

I don't have one of these boxes available for sale, but if I did and asked for a valuation on it, I'd ask anyone who'd told me how rare it was and worth £££ how much they would actually offer me at this moment in time to buy it.

It's £££ in the pocket that matter, not rhetoric.

JMHO, Vic Thompson.

And as an aside, what are your expectations as to the selling price for it ? In my opinion that's a fair question to ask (as a BBS Member). You've asked for our opinion on the matter and speaking for myself, some of us out here would appreciate this particular input from your side.

Vic T

Thumbs up

Not sure about a box with no poly inner but I took an older boxed Meteor that was 'as new' for a friend to put on the bring and buy table at Melbourne, I can't remember exactly what it sold for but I think it may have been around £125, I reckon the gun would have fetched near a hundred quid on it's own due to the stunning condition so that would leave £25 in the box + the other bits that were still in there, It did have the polystyrene inner caryton that stops everything from sliding around in the box though!

I don't actually like Meteors very much even though I have three of em!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Bought one years ago on that site,£20 with a liner,no label though.

What do I want? What do I really, really want?

Thanks again to all the people who are helping me out here.
    I am only asking because I have sold so many things over the years (hi-fi, guns, books, lathes etc) only to find out (sometimes very quickly) that I have asked too little and have done myself. So I thought I would ask the experts on here.
    I am profoundly grateful for all your help.
    To answer your question Vic, I would be happy to sell the box for £45 plus postage. Obviously after lockdown, collection could be arranged instead.

Thanks for the reply majex45. Following on from Abasmajor's suggestion :

Advertising on the BBS is at no cost and by doing so you'd get an informed opinion of its desirability and value based on the level of response and offers made (from knowledgeable people actually interested in buying it).

Ditto a Bay Watch run would do the same, often prices on there achieve surprising levels, but of course it's an Auction situation with costs involved and the risk of a final bid below expectations.

The final problem is then dealing with posting (if applicable). It's a fairly delicate item and would need good packaging with a final shipping cost likely to be an "ouch" moment for someone.

HTH, Vic Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    Bought one years ago on that site,£20 with a liner,no label though.
    Forgot,I contacted the seller and managed to buy the box contents.

A standard mk5 .177.

Hi Vic,
    Thanks for the post. The problem with the forum is that you cannot have an auction, you must state what you want. So if I said I wanted £150 then no one answers (except with abuse about my greed) if I said £15 then I may be underselling it.
    I have had a couple of bad experiences with the 'bay recently so I am reluctant to put it up there.
    I'll think about it for a while - after all I've had it for a long time so there is no rush. I'd like it to go to a collector who will appreciate it without doing myself.
    Majex45

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Thompson View Post
    Thanks for the reply majex45. Following on from Abasmajor's suggestion :

Advertising on the BBS is at no cost and by doing so you'd get an informed opinion of its desirability and value based on the level of response and offers made (from knowledgeable people actually interested in buying it).

Ditto a Bay Watch run would do the same, often prices on there achieve surprising levels, but of course it's an Auction situation with costs involved and the risk of a final bid below expectations.

The final problem is then dealing with posting (if applicable). It's a fairly delicate item and would need good packaging with a final shipping cost likely to be an "ouch" moment for someone.

HTH, Vic Thompson.

i would definitely hang on to it,as they say,"it doesnt eat no corn",leave it in the loft and i bet a meteor to fill it will come along on here soon
    atb

Quote Originally Posted by majex45 View Post
    Thanks again to all the people who are helping me out here.
    I am only asking because I have sold so many things over the years (hi-fi, guns, books, lathes etc) only to find out (sometimes very quickly) that I have asked too little and have done myself. So I thought I would ask the experts on here.
    I am profoundly grateful for all your help.
    To answer your question Vic, I would be happy to sell the box for £45 plus postage. Obviously after lockdown, collection could be arranged instead.
    How would you pack it for postage ?

A good gust of wind and it’d be on the next street.

Maybe fill it with bags of rice ( 35p per 250g from Aldi ) , and then pack it in ....

Errrr ... an air rifle box perhaps ?

Quote Originally Posted by Beazley View Post
    i would definitely hang on to it,as they say,"it doesnt eat no corn",leave it in the loft and i bet a meteor to fill it will come along on here soon
    atb
    Hi,
    Thanks for the input. It has been up there for some time already. I was hoping to move it on for three reasons:
    1) Make a little cash.
    2) Make a little room in the loft.
    3) Ensure someone has it who appreciates it.
    I'll wait until the end of lockdown (dreadful word) and think again.
    Thank you to everybody who has helped with this thread.

Well, now we all know. It is worth £16 plus post, the best offer I had.

I really think you should have a nice glass display case made and and put it on the wall as a piece of wonderful cardboard packaging!

FWIW: I bought a Mk5 Meteor box complete with contents (polystyrene, manual, yellow "check card", empty plastic oil bottle, BSA target holder) from Protek for 40 pounds.
    Cheers, Louis

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    FWIW: I bought a Mk5 Meteor box complete with contents (polystyrene, manual, yellow "check card", empty plastic oil bottle, BSA target holder) from Protek for 40 pounds.
    Cheers, Louis

Those barrels look a lot shorter than mine was, from memory. Did they make a carbine version?

I always like seeing your "carbinized" Meteors Louis -- I bet they are great little plinkers, a bit like a spring version of a Crosman 180!