Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shame it has been refinished

Shame it has been refinished

The BSA Air Rifle, don't worry I won't be asking questions

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Shame?

Looks great to me, but it depends on what state it was before. Sometimes it is more about what a gun deserves than what collectors think.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Shame?

Looks great to me, but it depends on what state it was before. Sometimes it is more about what a gun deserves than what collectors think.
    Although not a big fan of refinished air guns, I don't think this particular example appears so bad. I remember seeing one at an Arms Fair which looked so bright it might have just left the factory which just didn't look right.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 16-11-2020 at 09:05 PM.

It is smooth now, but has thin stamping.
    I have only seen it in this condition and I suppose it is better than a pitted rust bucket.

Re- Finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    I have only seen it in this condition and I suppose it is better than a pitted rust bucket.
    I will agree with that,i would rather have a nice refinish than a load of rust and worn out links and other parts.What looks better and drives better than a nice rebuilt motor car or bike.On saying that nothing is more desirable than a early example of what you fancy in clean original , working condition. Every one to their own ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Shame?

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Although not a big fan of refinished air guns, I don't think this particular example appears so bad. I remember seeing one at an Arms Fair which looked so bright it might have just left the factory which just didn't look right.

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    I will agree with that,i would rather have a nice refinish than a load of rust and worn out links and other parts.What looks better and drives better than a nice rebuilt motor car or bike.On saying that nothing is more desirable than a early example of what you fancy in clean original , working condition. Every one to their own ideas.
    Exactly. Patina and history are nice, but if something has emerged from a loft, cellar, or shed as a mess of ferric oxide metal and water-damaged, mouldy, wood, then a refinish is more than OK.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I agree...

Patina is good if there is some history to give it a raison d'être - otherwise it's just historic abuse .

Save others time

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I agree...

Patina is good if there is some history to give it a raison d'être - otherwise it's just historic abuse .

the most important reason or purpose for someone or something's existence.
    "seeking to shock is the catwalk's raison d'être"

the most important reason or purpose for someone or something's existence.
    "seeking to shock is the catwalk's raison d'être"

The main problem with refinishing is that it obliterates what was there, so it might as well have been done yesterday...

As said, it's better than having a neglected, pitted rustbucket. But not much.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hi I have one that was so rusted and pitted ,and generally badly cared for that I think it was a barn pond find lol
    I spent a very long time sanding the cylinder with 1500 and oil and still all that remains is a T.....some trace of pitting remains and
    It's been reblued by me ,the stock I cleaned as much as possible.
    It now shoots spot on
    Alternatively I have a Walther Lg53m from 1953/4...this has very little blueing left but all the lettering is sharp so I have left it as is
    I see myself as a shooter not a collector but I think when something is old and has good patina then leave it.
    Cheersi an

I think it looks fantastic and is excellently finished, would not bother me at all.

I would rather have a refinished gun any day rather than a sweaty old rusted relic.

Think positive ... it does not have a scope rail screwed / welded on the cylinder.
    Cheers, Phil

I'd be happy enough to own that refinished or not. Nice rifle and a nice job in my humble opinion.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Looks very pretty