Thread: Shame it has been refinished

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shame it has been refinished

The BSA Air Rifle, don't worry I won't be asking questions

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Shame?

Looks great to me, but it depends on what state it was before. Sometimes it is more about what a gun deserves than what collectors think.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Shame?

Looks great to me, but it depends on what state it was before. Sometimes it is more about what a gun deserves than what collectors think.
    Although not a big fan of refinished air guns, I don't think this particular example appears so bad. I remember seeing one at an Arms Fair which looked so bright it might have just left the factory which just didn't look right.

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 16-11-2020 at 09:05 PM.

It is smooth now, but has thin stamping.
    I have only seen it in this condition and I suppose it is better than a pitted rust bucket.

Re- Finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    I have only seen it in this condition and I suppose it is better than a pitted rust bucket.
    I will agree with that,i would rather have a nice refinish than a load of rust and worn out links and other parts.What looks better and drives better than a nice rebuilt motor car or bike.On saying that nothing is more desirable than a early example of what you fancy in clean original , working condition. Every one to their own ideas.

Shame?

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Although not a big fan of refinished air guns, I don't think this particular example appears so bad. I remember seeing one at an Arms Fair which looked so bright it might have just left the factory which just didn't look right.

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    I will agree with that,i would rather have a nice refinish than a load of rust and worn out links and other parts.What looks better and drives better than a nice rebuilt motor car or bike.On saying that nothing is more desirable than a early example of what you fancy in clean original , working condition. Every one to their own ideas.
    Exactly. Patina and history are nice, but if something has emerged from a loft, cellar, or shed as a mess of ferric oxide metal and water-damaged, mouldy, wood, then a refinish is more than OK.

Shame?

Agreed!
    Regards Graham