Thread: The "R" word and collectable guns

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Very true, but I did say in my original post: " I wonder how you would define these terms when they are applied to “improving” a truly collectable gun (as opposed to a gun that is intended for regular use?"

For a true collectable, its condition does matter, both before and after we are pushing up the daisies. Collectability involves any, or all, of academic, historic, mechanical, and aesthetic interest for the collector. If you only own guns for their usefulness, then you are seeing things through the eyes of a user and not a collector. Nothing wrong with that,of coiurse, as long as you aren't the sort of user who saws off the end of the barrel a Highest Possible pistol so that it fits into the pocket better, like some have done in the past.
    It is all down to to the complexity of each individual's character to do, or not do, being comfortable and happy with ones temporary possessions. Doesn't matter to anyone else if they butcher, keep as mint and boxed, polish until there is no bluing left, use a HW35 as a fence post as long as they have paid for it and happy having fun with it. I have a tidy HW35 by the way, but no, it is not a fence post yet, but who knows?

All the best.....

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Originally Posted by SRV1

It is all down to to the complexity of each individual's character to do, or not do, being comfortable and happy with ones temporary possessions. Doesn't matter to anyone else if they butcher, keep as mint and boxed, polish until there is no bluing left, use a HW35 as a fence post as long as they have paid for it and happy having fun with it. I have a tidy HW35 by the way, but no, it is not a fence post yet, but who knows?

Mmmm. Kind of makes me think of ISIS and their attitude to ancient monuments.