Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diana Airking

Diana Airking

Just started a strip down and relube on a third Diana Airking. I have to say that whilst I'm pretty impressed with these guns anyhow, this last gun, being the youngest at 2015 manufacture date seems to be the best constructed.
    On all three models the spring to guide fit has been pretty good. Not quite a tight friction fit that you would get with a purpose made tune kit but more than acceptable for my purposes and not shabby enough to warrant lashing out on a full kit(in each case the springs have been in good order bar for the .25 Airking which unfortunately sheared but this one was long in the tooth anyhow).
    In each case the port restrictor was removed, piston seal sized and the gun lubed and set for the limit.
    I rarely if ever assemble a gun without a top hat these days no matter what make the gun is. I'm converted so to speak on their benefit. When you think of it, the notional negligible cost of these at manufacture means it's a shame that all springers are not fitted with them. Pat on the back for AA fitting them as standard on their guns.
    This last gun had a particularly exceptional compression tube to action fit. It really couldn't be improved by an be beneficial degree. As indeed the same could be said of the rear piston skirt. I don't think this last gun has ever been apart and I was pleasantly surprised that the internal lube was way better than I'd given credit for and had found in earlier Diana's. Maybe the penny was finally dropping back in Germany?
    Two of the guns have T05 trigger configurations, whilst this one has the latest T06. Having a number of Hw35s, 80s, a 99 and a 57 I can say with confidence this unit is to my mind the equal of the Record, though I know many would call me a heretic for saying so. I speak as I find.
    Looking forward to getting this latest one together. I've had excellent accuracy out of all three including the .25 version which, for some reason I incorrectly assumed would have poor accuracy. I'd just assumed larger calibre guns don't give good accuracy. How wrong I was.
    I've certainly matched and exceeded the accuracy I used to get from my 80 when I had my eye in with that. It's quite confidence inspiring.
    Yes I'm really looking forward to getting this one back in one piece and inflicting some more punishment on the local greys.
    Dave

Very interesting, thanks.

I’ve always fancied one, but: they are even heavier than the 48/52; they need work to perform their best at 12 ft-lbs; all sled guns perform a bit oddly fired at angles off vertical; they ain’t cheap.

Glad you like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Very interesting, thanks.

I’ve always fancied one, but: they are even heavier than the 48/52; they need work to perform their best at 12 ft-lbs; all sled guns perform a bit oddly fired at angles off vertical; they ain’t cheap.

Glad you like yours.
    Evening Geezer.
    Agreed on all points with perhaps the exception of the sled set up. Clearly shooting at angles off the horizontal will get the sled to perform differently. The guns action weight will accelerate the action slide at near vertical or slow it if gun fired below the horizon.
    However, I've hardly noticed any difference and the squirrels don't seem to have picked up on it either
    I would like to compare the Airking with a TX200SR as that's another gun I admire but from afar as I've never handled or shot one. I'm simply going by the feel and quality of other AA rifles I have. I'm a fan of that marque also. But saying this I've read that the sled there can be temperamental , harder to set up and I'm sure I read one account where a guy had both an Airking and an SR and said the Airking was superior in its working. But that's simply what I've read and have no experience to verify.
    I'm certainly a fan of the Airking and only go back to other guns now for a change rather than continued use.
    Does make me wonder if there isn't room or call for another semi recoiling springer nowadays? But clearly at a favourable price point?
    Dave

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Does make me wonder if there isn't room or call for another semi recoiling springer nowadays? But clearly at a favourable price point?
    Dave
    I think so.. Always got my eye open for a fairly priced 54 to keep my SR company
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Dave
    I get the feeling that comparatively speaking we are still making do with solid rubber tyres when it comes to medium to high powered springers. They did the basic things of what they were supposed to do, but had no refinement while doing it.
    What's not to like with a well made but simple sled system that can be adapted to just about any springer on the planet?
    It was good enough to be used in the Olympic grade airguns made by FWB and Anschutz. Diana and Air Arms adopted it as well on their sporters and looking at the simplicity of the Brass on steel system used by the Airking, there is not much to go wrong with it or that will be too expensive to produce and sell.

In each case the port restrictor was removed, piston seal sized and the gun lubed and set for the limit.

FAC?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitman View Post

FAC?
    it is simple to have it running sub 12 without the restrictor... it just requires sensible spring selection, and the shot cycle is much better when set up this way.
    The restrictor just makes the shot cycle horrible and inefficient
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitman View Post

FAC?
    No fella. Coils cut and spring input reduced for the UK limit. Much sweeter to shoot too.
    Dave

Dave, did you reuse the breech seal or fit an alternative? I fitted a T R Robb seal when I did mine based on other tuners advice. Never got to try it with the original seal minus the restrictor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    Dave, did you reuse the breech seal or fit an alternative? I fitted a T R Robb seal when I did mine based on other tuners advice. Never got to try it with the original seal minus the restrictor.
    No mate I put the seal straight back in and went from there. I can understand why Diana do this with their guns as they do need throttling back but they are horrible to shoot with them in as you likely know.
    Was the Robb seal more pliable? I was surprised just how solid the breech seals are on these guns. They seem straight up hard plastic rather than a pliable polyurethane or whatever type seal. Additionally, as I suspected there are different types as you can see that on the Chambers listing. But comparing the different types side by side they are like chalk and cheese. If you ordered a replacement that was incorrect there's no way it would work to my mind.
    What's your thoughts on your own gun? Is it an Airking or a 48/52 model? They are overlooked guns and capable of excellent accuracy. I'm quite surprised Diana have dropped the 52 from their range and this action now continues as the lower model 48. But there must be good reason not least their pricing strategy.
    Dave

Dave
    I actually found the TR Robb seal quite firm. I got a 2018 stamped Airking in .177 earlier this year. Dropped a Tinbum kit with chopped/polished spring and did the recoil system modification (http://www.eddiecolwell.tzo.com/rws-54.htm). It’s one of my favourite springer, very accurate and consistent. Not too pellet fussy but prefers the wider diameters. Considering getting another in a larger calibre. Maybe the latest pro version.
    Andy

To6

I got to agree the to6 is as good as anything Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    Dave
    I actually found the TR Robb seal quite firm. I got a 2018 stamped Airking in .177 earlier this year. Dropped a Tinbum kit with chopped/polished spring and did the recoil system modification (http://www.eddiecolwell.tzo.com/rws-54.htm). It’s one of my favourite springer, very accurate and consistent. Not too pellet fussy but prefers the wider diameters. Considering getting another in a larger calibre. Maybe the latest pro version.
    Andy
    Evening Andy.
    There's some good tips there with those tuning tips. I do find the side lever can "clack" a little on closing on some models and gluing a sliver of rubber inside the cocking arm seems a good idea. This 2015 model I note had some in there and it looks neat. Unsure if it's a factory addition these days or an aftermarket fit. I can also see what the aim of the washer and the ball not fully locating in the hole 100% on the sledge. I wonder if the same could be achieved by simple adjustment and testing of the Allen head screw behind the ball bearing though? I'm also wary of ensuring no wear or damage is done to the ball bearing or the hole that the bearing sits into? How have you found that modification? An improvement?

The Airking has also become my favourite springer. I still have a soft spot for my HW80 but it hardly gets a look-in these days.
    This particular gun came from your area and the previous owner advised it did well on Bisley Magnums. I've tried them and have to agree accuracy is superb and they double as a humane hunting pellet also.

I too am curious about the larger calibre in an Airking format. I am hoping that perhaps next summer I can choose a sheltered windless section of the farm and give the gun a go at some long range rested shooting maybe around the 100 yards mark to see how things perform. Certainly at a little over half that distance I've achieved some of the best accuracy I've been able to achieve ever.

The latest laminated Airking does seem to be a handsome beast eh?!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by gunstock View Post
    I got to agree the to6 is as good as anything Dave
    Well have to meet up sometime Gary and you can try an Airking and maybe some of its other stablemates. A gym membership helps or maybe a caddy

Yes, I have shot the majority of the HW range as stated above and I have huge respect for the Record. As mentioned so many times by so many people it's the standard by which other triggers are judged.

In my humble opinion the T06 equals it.
    Dave

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Yes, I have shot the majority of the HW range as stated above and I have huge respect for the Record. As mentioned so many times by so many people it's the standard by which other triggers are judged.

In my humble opinion the T06 equals it.
    Dave
    Hi Dave I also agree with you Do you think that the safety catch is equal to the HW's?