Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diana Airking

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Hi Dave I also agree with you Do you think that the safety catch is equal to the HW's?
    I'm gonna have to give a politicians answer in that one Barry
    I've personally never had an issue with the HW safety over the years and I purchased my HW80 in 1984 so that a few years now. I've had one or two a little dry and temperamental to apply but a strip, clean up and lube solves that easily. So much has been said of the Rekord over the years that I'm not really going to add to it here. It's very good in the least and clever people have made it better yet.
    As regards the T06 and specifically the safety catch I find it excellent. It's is very visible to the eye, effective, well suited to thumb off, and of course has the advantage over a HW in that it is resettable. The latter point may be considered as relatively minor if good gun safety is adhered to, but I have had occasion where a grey has presented itself and I've geared for the shot only for the animal to disappear somewhere in the canopy. So it's a minor thing but can be useful I guess.
    For me though it's the fact that the T06 is a marked improvement over the T05 which itself wasn't a shabby trigger mechanism. I've also got some older Diana's with the T01 mechanism which I get along with just fine. But I'll repeat here that I find the whole Diana trigger designation thing highly confusing and I just use the thing rather than try and research and understand the workings
    I know you've been quite a proponent of the 460 Mag Barry, but has the Airking ever appealed to you? Ironically, whilst I've got a 460 it's been left as it arrived after import at German ME but clearly the cocking method and loading is simpler on them and I can see the appeal. It's obviously lighter than an Airking which some may see as quite a negative with that model.
    Dave

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    I know you've been quite a proponent of the 460 Mag Barry, but has the Airking ever appealed to you? Ironically, whilst I've got a 460 it's been left as it arrived after import at German ME but clearly the cocking method and loading is simpler on them and I can see the appeal. It's obviously lighter than an Airking which some may see as quite a negative with that model.
    Dave
    I think that most long term spring airgun fans have had a long look at the Airking I know I have but I suppose that I just prefer underlevers although I would like a old T01 52 firebird I still like the way the T01 trigger feels and I like the positive click with the safety but apparently you can fit a stronger spring to the T06 trigger safety to get a positive click I would like that

I have an Airking date stamped 07 96 in .22, bought new by myself.
    Gluing a very small rubber strip(from old tyre tube) inside the hollow of the cocking arm where it contacts the screw that connects the cocking arm link to the cylinder is what I did too.
    No more "click" after that.

I reckon that inserting "o" rings on the sled mechanism to stop the ball bearing from seating as intended in the action, does nothing beneficial especially if the shooter is constantly changing the shooting angle. It only results with the shooter having to increase the pressure on the screw to counteract the tendency for the ball to pop out of its hole prematurely or even with the slightest bump when taking those vertical shots.
    Makes the gun behave like a 48 or 52 in those situations.
    Any unnecessary screw pressure on the spring and ball will cause accelerated wear in the area over which the ball rolls.

I think that shooters of sporting sled type guns like the the 54 must accept that the gun will slide quicker and hit the stops harder when taking those rather vertical shots, if it is set to behave optimally at angles much closer to the horizontal.

Last time I looked at mine, the ball had made a very shallow track in the underside of the action over which it slides. No damage to the ball and not worried with the track becoming much deeper or wider than it is which is about 1mm wide and much less than 1 mm deep.

Scaled down versions of the D54, TX200SR or a FWB300 all set for sub 12ft lbs, would that set a new class in HFT ?

I know the one I'd go for, which one would you buy ?
    Hw77+7

Airking

Hiya DVD.
    I've thought along same lines as you as regards the sled and bearing but was unsure if I was seeing something others couldn't. That is to say that if you tighten the sled up by increasing downward force on the bearing it will simply bite harder on the metal to maintain its position. Whereas less pressure would be needed for it to sit correctly aligned in the recess? That's my take anyhow? Surely one is the same as the other? But one method (the way the manufacturer intended) means less wear? I'm happy to be corrected! Interesting to rear your observation on negligible wear on the mechanism by the way. And I totally agree, if by adjusting the sled you end up with a 48/52 esq action then simply buy a 48/52 as they are lighter! As I said earlier I've not had any issues with shooting thee gun below or above the horizon. Certainly I shot a grey earlier this year at literally vertical and it connected no issues and lights out.
    HW55T, I hear what you're saying and it's a shame there isn't more choice of semi recoiling guns. I can't vouch for both AA and FWB but owning other guns from their range Incan well imagine that the guns you mentioned are fine weapons. From my experience here and now I'd stick with the Airking but would happily try out others.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Hiya DVD.
    I've thought along same lines as you as regards the sled and bearing but was unsure if I was seeing something others couldn't. That is to say that if you tighten the sled up by increasing downward force on the bearing it will simply bite harder on the metal to maintain its position. Whereas less pressure would be needed for it to sit correctly aligned in the recess? That's my take anyhow? Surely one is the same as the other? But one method (the way the manufacturer intended) means less wear? I'm happy to be corrected! Interesting to rear your observation on negligible wear on the mechanism by the way. And I totally agree, if by adjusting the sled you end up with a 48/52 esq action then simply buy a 48/52 as they are lighter! As I said earlier I've not had any issues with shooting thee gun below or above the horizon. Certainly I shot a grey earlier this year at literally vertical and it connected no issues and lights out.
    HW55T, I hear what you're saying and it's a shame there isn't more choice of semi recoiling guns. I can't vouch for both AA and FWB but owning other guns from their range Incan well imagine that the guns you mentioned are fine weapons. From my experience here and now I'd stick with the Airking but would happily try out others.
    Dave
    I think you are on the right track Dave. The ball is meant to nearly drop through the slightly smaller corresponding hole in the action so that it provides just the right amount of resistance as it climbs out when the action recoils. Now if the ball does not fall as much as it was designed to because it is being prevented by any added washers restricting the movement of the sled mechanism, it means that there is less resistance for it to climb out of the hole resulting with an action that flies backwards more readily and hitting the end stop more forcefully.

Try and visualize the breech ball detents that Diana uses on some of its airguns. It only takes a breech washer that is a fraction of a millimetre too thick to prevent proper seating of the ball over its detent and for the barrel to break open with a just a slight tap on the foresight.

The same applies to an incorrectly engaged ball on the 54, so people erroneously increase the pressure on it via the screw and spring just to hold its partially engaged position with the action forward. When the gun is shot and it recoils, the ball readily slips out of its hole because its nearly out anyway, but now the added pressure on the ball is going to exert more pressure along the path it slides in, which increases wear in that area.

Standard is best I reckon. Diana knew what they were doing in this area and its not called the Airking for nothing

Loved my air king super accurate