Thread: Diana Model 27

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Can anyone assist with advice please

The 27s I have seen, the pre-warquarter stock versions (only a wooden butt like the BSA Standard) have the piston seal held by a screw (maybe 2BA? or 5mm?) through the washer into the end of the piston. The washer can take a few forms ... I have mostly seen leather cup washers with a central hard disc countersunk for the fixing screw but have also seen just two leather discs, each c 3mm thick instead of the cup washer, but again having a countersunk washer for the retaining screw.
    I do not have experience of the later (newer) mod 27 but believe it too had a leather cup washer held by a screw.
    Note: the early 27s have a very basic trigger while the later 27s could well have the feared Diana 3 ball version.
    There will be a strip guide to the early 27 in 'Idiots Guide' posts 73, 74, 136. Later 27 is post 123.

Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    The 27s I have seen, the pre-warquarter stock versions (only a wooden butt like the BSA Standard) have the piston seal held by a screw (maybe 2BA? or 5mm?) through the washer into the end of the piston. The washer can take a few forms ... I have mostly seen leather cup washers with a central hard disc countersunk for the fixing screw but have also seen just two leather discs, each c 3mm thick instead of the cup washer, but again having a countersunk washer for the retaining screw.
    I do not have experience of the later (newer) mod 27 but believe it too had a leather cup washer held by a screw.
    Note: the early 27s have a very basic trigger while the later 27s could well have the feared Diana 3 ball version.
    There will be a strip guide to the early 27 in 'Idiots Guide' posts 73, 74, 136. Later 27 is post 123.

Cheers, Phil
    Cheers Phil the version I’ve got 1938 is what I’d call full stock I believe the type that Milbro acquired the rights to build after the war but don’t quote me on that I just noticed last time it was apart that there was what looked like a drift pin near the piston seal and thought it had to be removed before trying to undo the screw in the back of my mind I think I’ve read in the past someone not doing so and chewed the screw up

OK ... a bit more research leads me to think you are correct ... it seems that some 27s, maybe those made in Germany, indeed did have a pin to hold the piston washer screw in place and advice was to drill it out. See Idiots Guide posts 7,8, 10

Chambers show the Original 25 that has the pin. If the pin goes though to the other side there should be no problem, if it only goes in one way then drilling it out may be the only option?
    Cheers, Phil

OK ... a bit more research leads me to think you are correct ... it seems that some 27s, maybe those made in Germany, indeed did have a pin to hold the piston washer screw in place and advice was to drill it out. See Idiots Guide posts 7,8, 10

Chambers show the Original 25 that has the pin. If the pin goes though to the other side there should be no problem, if it only goes in one way then drilling it out may be the only option?
    Cheers, Phil
    Cheers phil I’m unaware of these idiot post maybe because I am one where you I find them

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran07 View Post
    Cheers phil I’m unaware of these idiot post maybe because I am one where you I find them

Cheers
    The Idiots Guide is a sticky at the start of the Collectables forum ... where you are now. Look for the first post in the forum. It now runs to a lot of pages. We keep it for information on stripping old rifles not for general chatting so please do not use it for posting general posts. There is an index to the various guns included.

Cheers, Phil

The Idiots Guide is a sticky at the start of the Collectables forum ... where you are now. Look for the first post in the forum. It now runs to a lot of pages. We keep it for information on stripping old rifles not for general chatting so please do not use it for posting general posts. There is an index to the various guns included.

Cheers, Phil
    Cheers bud I found it
    if i take out the pin does it need to be put back in after
    From memory I believe it’s got like rounded head do I just drill that off so it can be drifted
    it will more and likely make sense when it’s apart again but thought it was best to ask about this pin before destroying the screw
    Also is the mainspring I’ve got which is for the g27 ok ?
    Last edited by Ciaran07; 22-11-2020 at 05:33 PM.