Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Collecting.....blowing hot and cold

edbear2 Guest

Collecting.....blowing hot and cold

I had a P.M. from a friend on here recently, with the above expression he mentioned as we discussed various stuff. It got me thinking as it is a good way to describe the hobby. As discussed on other threads there are all sorts of collectors interested in different eras/types/conditions of guns, but the description is more to do with the intensity of the hobby.

I personally loved to chase and discover stuff all over the place, online and in the real world, but every time I got to about 20 -25 rifles i would get some sort of guilt pang and sell a few!....I also thought that total was too many to shoot even on a rotational basis. I have (I am pretty sure) 6 now, My long TX200 bell gun, HW80 MK1 (.25), 45 inch and 43 inch IMD's, A Custom IMD I made and an Airsporter Club, so 3 calibres from 1911 to 1999 which do all my needs.

I know of folk with 100's of the things, including even one guy who fanatically chases stuff, then wraps them in grease and stashes away and never shoots them (probably the extreme end of hoarding) but it's the going from bonkers accumilating to the dormant thing that seems to be a common trait, maybe caused by financial constraints, or maybe like me you think "that's enough" but then see that next "special" one.

I think I am happier now I had a clear out, I still (before lockdown) would see stuff while out, and have a look and chat, but for some reason was happy to leave it at that, maybe I have got it out of my system.....But
    you never know I suppose!

ATB, Ed

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Stone Age Airgunning

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post

I personally loved to chase and discover stuff all over the place, online and in the real world, but every time I got to about 20 -25 rifles i would get some sort of guilt pang and sell a few!....I also thought that total was too many to shoot even on a rotational basis. I have (I am pretty sure) 6 now, My long TX200 bell gun, HW80 MK1 (.25), 45 inch and 43 inch IMD's, A Custom IMD I made and an Airsporter Club, so 3 calibres from 1911 to 1999 which do all my needs.

I think I am happier now I had a clear out, I still (before lockdown) would see stuff while out, and have a look and chat, but for some reason was happy to leave it at that, maybe I have got it out of my system.....But

ATB, Ed
    I think there are two things going on here.

One is the human predisposition to hunting and foraging. Sometimes it is disguised as someone 'using the market' to find something of the greatest utility to them, like a stylish but economical car, or a home which is good value and in a nice place. But the deep level programming is to get out into the environment and hunt down the scarce thing 'by any means necessary'. I like to go for walks in a forest which borders onto the shoreline and as I am adverse to plastic and other detritus messing the place up, I take a bag and a grabber thing and if I see stuff I take it back and bin it. I was very surprised when the last time I went I met one of my colleagues and his girlfriend and they got really excited about this process, more than me. They go out and aggressively litter-pick now, even in the town. I think it was because its a kind of 'foraging', even if the harvest is literally rubbish. From car boot sales to y-Bay to Sotheby's, its all about hunting down that 'thing'.

Once you have the 'thing' the fun of the forage is done and it's down to the actually qualities itself. If it is a rifle, then it will basically be how good owning the thing is, whether that is performance, fit, quality of engineering, beauty or how much you can modify it before you have to stop.

Human beings in their natural state live in groups of about 30 ish. And in modern times, in spite of some people claiming 1000s of 'friends' on social networks, few people have more than 30 friends that they actually keep up with in any meaningful way. The number of 'true' friends - those who would lend you £50 without asking for it back in a week or who would pick up your kid from the airport when you are ill - is probably far fewer than that.

Your airguns are the same. Its impossible to 'enjoy' owning more than 20 or 30 as there simply isnt enough time or energy in one's life to do so. One can chase down and catch any number of airguns, thousands even, but you cannot really enjoy the ownership of that number. Emptying the inventory means you will have the money and the space to get back out there hunting the odd rifle or the hen's teeth, which is the exciting bit. Lastly, the 'true friends' will number under 5 - the 'shooters' that you reach for when you want to have fun/hit what you are aiming at and you know its going to be good.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, I agree with Al, there's a lot of excitement in the hunt.. and every now and again, clearing stuff out that just isn't that exciting / of much utility value to own makes sense.. That then creates space to hunt the next challenge down
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I'm feeling guilty now

I must admit once you get past 20 rifles, the novelty wears off. I have been guilty of 'Servicitus' and intend to thin out all my duplicates at the next Armsfair or maybe sooner....

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    It all depends on your motivation for collecting. In my case, 40 years ago, I made the postive decision to try to own (and keep) one example of every spring air pistol model ever made. Impossible I know, but it has been great fun trying. As the collection swells, the itch doen't go away, and the challenge to find the next item just gets harder, giving you another reason to get up in the morning. Anything that does that at my age can't be bad.

When I said "that's enough" to having more airguns, I said so with the same determination like when I gave up tobacco smoking
    Its still working..... so far.

I only have about 20 odd airguns and a pistol ("acquired" over approximately 30 years).
    I am being careful not to use the word "collected" because I suppose the fact that I have quite a few does not automatically make me a collector. I do not shy away from doing whatever needs doing to them to make them presentable and perform well. That was always my goal.

I did set out with the desire to acquire target guns needing some TLC, with different power plants, designs and subdivisions, such as the recoiless Dianas, sled type, recoiling, SSP, fixed/break barrel etc.
    I strayed briefly from my chosen path by acquiring some that fall into the sporting category who were also crying out for some TLC.

I leave the historical (or whatever) collecting of more pristine examples for others and they have their place too.
    I have had occasion to reference them during the various rehabilitations of airguns I have done so as not to deviate too much from the original.

Incidentally, a very knowledgeable person on here did remark to me that one of the sporting airguns that I have, has the rather rare "perlkorn" front sight. That's a bonus to me which I appreciated at the time and I was just as pleased to have the opportunity to fabricate the missing leaf-spring that locks the sight on the foresight ramp along which was missing its shroud.
    When that was done, I enquired with another knowledgeable and well respected gentleman on here to obtain dimensions to make part of the missing rear sight.
    One has to appreciate whatever floats the boat of other collectors.

I suppose the fact that I still have all my acquisitions, does qualify me as a collector of sorts. Perhaps custodian would be a better word.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    I had a P.M. from a friend on here recently, with the above expression he mentioned as we discussed various stuff. It got me thinking as it is a good way to describe the hobby. As discussed on other threads there are all sorts of collectors interested in different eras/types/conditions of guns, but the description is more to do with the intensity of the hobby.

I know of folk with 100's of the things, including even one guy who fanatically chases stuff, then wraps them in grease and stashes away and never shoots them (probably the extreme end of hoarding) but it's the going from bonkers accumilating to the dormant thing that seems to be a common trait, maybe caused by financial constraints, or maybe like me you think "that's enough" but then see that next "special" one.

ATB, Ed
    Well Ed, l am a bit like yourself, it is the chase for me trying to find guns that l like that are within my budget. which is the hard part. but l have been lucky in that respect over the years. but also having brainstorms and paying over the odds for some of them. but l am down sizing now and quite a few have now gone. but l do have most of them on display on the walls and in draws, has l do get a lot of enjoyment just looking and handling them. l don't see the point in wraping them up and hiding them away. but each to their own.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Well Ed, l am a bit like yourself, it is the chase for me trying to find guns that l like that are within my budget. which is the hard part. but l have been lucky in that respect over the years. but also having brainstorms and paying over the odds for some of them. but l am down sizing now and quite a few have now gone. but l do have most of them on display on the walls and in draws, has l do get a lot of enjoyment just looking and handling them. l don't see the point in wraping them up and hiding them away. but each to their own.
    I think collectors like you, where the fun of the chase is the main thing, are a fantastic asset to collectors like me. You seek out the rarities with a real vigour, yet at some future date you are happy to let them go. I know I have obtained many choice items for my collection thanks to such collectors, and always at prices well below what dealers ask.

Sad to say, my sort of collecting tends to be one way traffic, and I only let things go if I have more than one example, and then usually only as part of a deal for something else.

I suppose I'm not a collector as such. My CO2 guns are because I've always been fascinated by revolvers, & the PO8, might be tempted by a Webley .455 or Mauser 'broomhandle' replica when funds permit.
    Most of the others, mainly BSA/Webleys are because they are ones I wanted or had as a youngster. The exception is the modern HW35 in .177, the only rifle I've ever bought new. But I prefer the older HW in .22.
    Not saying I won't get any more, I've had a hankering for a Supertarget/Club for years - but have to accept with my eyesight now it would be a 'cabinet queen' which would be a waste. Don't think the aperture sights would suit me at all.
    When my health permits, I do like to shoot my oldies - there's nothing like the solid, hand made feel of them. Guess if I had a pristine, unfired example, boxed with all the original accessories I might feel differently, but I don't get the 'wrap it up & put it away thing'.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

The only time I feel "guilty" when collecting is paying a lot for something.
    Say 500 for a service mk2. For the same money I could buy 5 Vulcan ,restore them and give them a good home

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Not saying I won't get any more, I've had a hankering for a Supertarget/Club for years - but have to accept with my eyesight now it would be a 'cabinet queen' which would be a waste. Don't think the aperture sights would suit me at all.
    WHY? a set of proper shooting glasses or a correction lens fitted in the sights eyepiece can make a huge difference to the quality of enjoyment. I have a couple of PH sighted rifles and swop an eyepiece between them. My optician charges me about £25 to supply a fitted prescription lens.

I also have 2 pairs of Knobloch spectacles. 1 for pistol , 1 for rifle. The Varga ones are just as good and they do make a big difference, especially for pistol.

I used to buy guns and very rarely sell anything.
    About two years ago I found I wasn’t using most of my pcp guns and decided to sell some.
    I fortunately ended up buying part of a collection from a fellow bbs member,with the proceeds from my pcp sell off.
    The only gun that I was interested in getting was a breakdown pattern bsa,at some time in the future.
    Then I watched the Crosman 600 video and thought wow (that will do)and gladly got one.
    I do feel that I have to many (sometimes ldeek) but find it hard to let them go.
    Les..

I have been a seller usually because as a fairly new collector I think your focus can change as you experience more guns. At this point I have a much better idea of what will fit into my collection and yes it’s the hunt that does add excitement and entertainment. Also I love the research and exploration that a new gun causes: I can’t seem to ever know enough about the gun and the history behind it.

Lastly I think we are fortunate that collecting Airguns usually is not the financial burden that many antiques can be. I know in the US collecting antique firearms can be for the elite collector at times. Yes there are exceptions but the majority of my desires are not going to hamper my retirement. Also as a retired banker I love to get that bargain, all part of the enjoyment of the hunt. But this year on several “must have” guns I paid paid probably more than they may have been worth but surprisingly I have had no regrets the actual dollar amount is still pretty small in this hobby?

I have read all the comments and it's interesting to note different opinions on collecting etc. I have had an interest in airguns since owning my first air pistol a Diana SP50 at the age of 10. A bit young I know. It came into my possession via a trade with a friend. I continued to enjoy airguns throughout my teens through to adulthood remaining faithful to the sport to this present day. I currently own 5 rifles and 3 pistols. Each one rotated to shoot on a monthly basis at my local range. I usually take two rifles and one pistol with me on my shoot. Personally it's nice to have a variation of airguns to choose from and each one being different from the other. I doubt I will purchase anymore pistols as I am content with what I have. I had many and over the years have thinned my pistol collection due to the fact that they were not being used. As for my current rifles. They are keepers. And there's always room for one more. I wouldn't consider myself a collector but an enthusiast of airguns because I enjoy using them.