Thread: Crosman 137 .177 recent find

Crosman 137 .177 recent find

Hi chaps.

I recently came across this Crosman 137, in .177 cal. It shoots very well, is accurate and still has plenty of power. I'm used to Webley's and old spring powered pistols, so this is quite a fun new experience to shoot a classic vintage pistol with zero recoil.

Ive read somewhere that it isn't possible to date these pistols, but I'm not sure if that is correct. There is a serial number stamped into the breech hatch/slide. It is 71448.

https://imgur.com/z67JqKG

Would anyone know what this number indicates?

Best regards to all,

Will

hopefully more pics

i've seen references to the breech plug number being dateable but i'd have to look for the post that talked about it
    the 13x's were made in two variants the first being the ally breech with wood gip and the second with the steel breech and steel finger masher lever
    the early ones had manual cocking

Crosman serial numbers before 1975 do not indicate production date. They are just, er, numbers. You can only date (roughly) by known changes in the models.

1965?

from what i've googled, it looks like it was made in 1965?

googled 'benjamin serial numbers' and the first results should go to crosman's page, but it's no longer there. look at the cached version and it lists your serial number as 1965.

aha, crosman, not benjamin.
    Last edited by buddhachuck; 21-12-2020 at 11:43 PM.

There should be a 2 digit number on the rear barrel plug? That is how you can date the pistol. First number is the month second the year.

Crosman 137

Yes, I just checked and there is the number 81 stamped into the back of the barrel plug. Any ideas what that means?
    Also, what is the small hole for at the back of the pistol?

Thanks so much to all those who have shared their knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
    Yes, I just checked and there is the number 81 stamped into the back of the barrel plug. Any ideas what that means?
    Also, what is the small hole for at the back of the pistol?

Thanks so much to all those who have shared their knowledge
    Yes your pistol was made in August of 1961, no doubt. The little hole is to reset the valve if it doesn’t close on pumping. You would push a rod through it and push it shut.