I had a P.M. from a friend on here recently, with the above expression he mentioned as we discussed various stuff. It got me thinking as it is a good way to describe the hobby. As discussed on other threads there are all sorts of collectors interested in different eras/types/conditions of guns, but the description is more to do with the intensity of the hobby.

I personally loved to chase and discover stuff all over the place, online and in the real world, but every time I got to about 20 -25 rifles i would get some sort of guilt pang and sell a few!....I also thought that total was too many to shoot even on a rotational basis. I have (I am pretty sure) 6 now, My long TX200 bell gun, HW80 MK1 (.25), 45 inch and 43 inch IMD's, A Custom IMD I made and an Airsporter Club, so 3 calibres from 1911 to 1999 which do all my needs.

I know of folk with 100's of the things, including even one guy who fanatically chases stuff, then wraps them in grease and stashes away and never shoots them (probably the extreme end of hoarding) but it's the going from bonkers accumilating to the dormant thing that seems to be a common trait, maybe caused by financial constraints, or maybe like me you think "that's enough" but then see that next "special" one.

I think I am happier now I had a clear out, I still (before lockdown) would see stuff while out, and have a look and chat, but for some reason was happy to leave it at that, maybe I have got it out of my system.....But
you never know I suppose!

ATB, Ed