Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At risk of sounding like an X-Factor contestant, advice on gun choice needed

At risk of sounding like an X-Factor contestant, advice on gun choice needed

Hi folks,

Not been around much this year. Last years chemo failed, due to "a bit of a cold" from April until June. It was probably Covid. Leukaemia returned and is again back under control with a new regime.

However, I'm pretty weak and find breaking the barrel on either of my guns is tiring me out after just 5 shots. Which is a nuisance, 'cos this hobby was ideal due to permanent isolation thanks to a buggered immune system.

I'm open to recommendations (ideally from personal experience) on rifles, either charged by compressor or whatever. Just as long as I don't have to pump anything manually.

Cheers in advance and sorry about the sob story.

Alistair

Are you a serious targeteer or just a plinker? What range do you normally shoot at? How much weight can you handle? Compressors are expensive for good ones and keeping a bottle charged can be a problem in some areas, this Covid situation has proved that.

I'd be tempted to steer you toward C02 but need to know more please?

It's just target shooting in my garden - about 100 yds maximum. Weight tends not be an issue as I've discovered the joy of a picnic table and a mount. It's just breaking the barrel tends wear me out fast.

You make a lot of sense about the Covid thing. My workshop compressor may not have the oomph required to keep a bottle filled. So we're down to CO2 recommendations please.

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Are you a serious targeteer or just a plinker? What range do you normally shoot at? How much weight can you handle? Compressors are expensive for good ones and keeping a bottle charged can be a problem in some areas, this Covid situation has proved that.

I'd be tempted to steer you toward C02 but need to know more please?

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Beginning to look like CO2 would be a good bet. I see you mentioned a workshop- if you like tinkering then I would suggest either a Crosman 2250 of some sort or one of the QB78 series (which was a crosman in an earlier life )

Both are inherently very accurate (but must be 22 for better efficiency with CO2) , and both have a great parts and tune up back up. Great fun to improve them. I have one of each and they honestly are at the top end of my collection of enjoyable rifles!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by gwendog View Post
    It's just target shooting in my garden - about 100 yds maximum. Weight tends not be an issue as I've discovered the joy of a picnic table and a mount. It's just breaking the barrel tends wear me out fast.

You make a lot of sense about the Covid thing. My workshop compressor may not have the oomph required to keep a bottle filled. So we're down to CO2 recommendations please.

Many thanks
    A normal workshop compressor produces around the 10 bar maximum. You will need 300bar + rating to maintain a bottle . Whilst cheap Chinese HP compressors are capable of that , their longevity is suspect. Bulk supplies of 12 gramme Co2 capsules are reasonably cheap and mail order availability is good. A good supplier of them and pellets is JSR. no effort is required to change them in the gun so you would easily cope

!00 yards is a long way for most sub 12 rifles but as you are coping with springers , I suspect that something like the Chinese 78 range or the even more fun CP2 system would suit you. Both would cope with the odd short range bunny if you needed to.

What rifles do you have at the moment , and what is the Police attitude to plinking/target shooting in the garden please. I have heard they can be reluctant to issue an AWC under those circumstances.

I'm in Scotland and suitably licensed. Had no problem or questions getting the certificate and had declared I was shooting in the garden. Guess I'm lucky as 'the range' ends with a 7mtr cliff amphitheater, along with inevitable waterfall. Nearest house beyond the cliff is around 40 miles away!

While I do have left and right neighbours, I'm paranoid at the risk of anything making it over the wall and probably take excess care.

My rifles are a BSA Meteor Mk5 and a .177 who's make/model escapes me.

A normal workshop compressor produces around the 10 bar maximum. You will need 300bar + rating to maintain a bottle . Whilst cheap Chinese HP compressors are capable of that , their longevity is suspect. Bulk supplies of 12 gramme Co2 capsules are reasonably cheap and mail order availability is good. A good supplier of them and pellets is JSR. no effort is required to change them in the gun so you would easily cope

!00 yards is a long way for most sub 12 rifles but as you are coping with springers , I suspect that something like the Chinese 78 range or the even more fun CP2 system would suit you. Both would cope with the odd short range bunny if you needed to.

What rifles do you have at the moment , and what is the Police attitude to plinking/target shooting in the garden please. I have heard they can be reluctant to issue an AWC under those circumstances.

Many thanks. Shall investigate

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    Beginning to look like CO2 would be a good bet. I see you mentioned a workshop- if you like tinkering then I would suggest either a Crosman 2250 of some sort or one of the QB78 series (which was a crosman in an earlier life )

Both are inherently very accurate (but must be 22 for better efficiency with CO2) , and both have a great parts and tune up back up. Great fun to improve them. I have one of each and they honestly are at the top end of my collection of enjoyable rifles!

I'm in Scotland and suitably licensed. Had no problem or questions getting the certificate and had declared I was shooting in the garden. Guess I'm lucky as 'the range' ends with a 7mtr cliff amphitheater, along with inevitable waterfall. Nearest house beyond the cliff is around 40 miles away!

While I do have left and right neighbours, I'm paranoid at the risk of anything making it over the wall and probably take excess care.

My rifles are a BSA Meteor Mk5 and a .177 who's make/model escapes me.
    QB78 series, CP2 or Crosman 2250 will equal or out perform your Meteor so any would be a safe bet. CP2 can be single shot or magazine fed, The others are single shot but can be 'Upgraded' by using aftermarket parts. If you are of a Cowboy style bent , the Walther Winchester is worth a look at for short range low power stuff. The 2250 and Walther will not take a scope without additional parts but the others use standard 11mm mounts so if you have a scope on the Meteor, it will transfer over if you wish. Beware that modifications can be addictive and expensive, but great fun playing. Stay away from any model that needs 88 gramme co2. running costs will be expensive

do a bit of research on those models and see how you feel then. possibly put a want add on here?

good luck in your search and have fun in choosing.

PCP will give more consistent shooting and better range. Less susceptible to summer winter and fast shooting loss of power.

The need for a bottle is a fag. You want 300 bar. If you want a compressor then get a cheapo chinese and just fill the tank on the gun, not the dive bottle.

If your benching, which I suspect may be so, then a 400cc bottle mag fed on bags or a pod will take 100% of the strain away if 5 cocking strokes tires you.

If your willing to spend, then something like an impact short/compact would be ideal. Quiet, big shot count, slick side lever and 100 yard capable.

An S200 but regged would be excellent to. You need the reg as the std cylinder will only take 45 shots in .177. Its small, easy to handle but mag system might need some tlc to get it running right.

The S200 barrel is excellent but the trigger tends to be weakest link in the chain. But accuracy can wipe mant a teutonic engineered FT rifle.

There are quite a few compact high capacity rifles out there but they cost.

Co2 would be last on my list but that rather depends what you really want re range and consistency.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    PCP will give more consistent shooting and better range. Less susceptible to summer winter and fast shooting loss of power.

The need for a bottle is a fag. You want 300 bar. If you want a compressor then get a cheapo chinese and just fill the tank on the gun, not the dive bottle.

If your benching, which I suspect may be so, then a 400cc bottle mag fed on bags or a pod will take 100% of the strain away if 5 cocking strokes tires you.

If your willing to spend, then something like an impact short/compact would be ideal. Quiet, big shot count, slick side lever and 100 yard capable.

An S200 but regged would be excellent to. You need the reg as the std cylinder will only take 45 shots in .177. Its small, easy to handle but mag system might need some tlc to get it running right.

The S200 barrel is excellent but the trigger tends to be weakest link in the chain. But accuracy can wipe mant a teutonic engineered FT rifle.

There are quite a few compact high capacity rifles out there but they cost.

Co2 would be last on my list but that rather depends what you really want re range and consistency.

That would have been my suggestion but his remote location and possible air supply reliability problems prompted me to go the Co2 route. I have heard of many problems PCP users are experiencing during these troubled times, even with Chinese compressors. With dive shops and Gunsmiths closed during the lockdowns , Easy mail order supplies are the way to go in my eyes.

Sorry to hear of your woes, Alistair.

I would go along with the Crosman 2250 recommendations. If your budget allows, go for the XL version. It has the sturdy steel breech fitted as standard, giving greater barrel security and solid scope mounting dovetails. In fact, they come bundled with a very usable 4x32 scope. Longer barrel gives better efficiency too.

As said, buy the CO2 in bulk. The temperature variation issues will still be there, though.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

However, I'm pretty weak and find breaking the barrel on either of my guns is tiring me out after just 5 shots. Which is a nuisance, 'cos this hobby was ideal due to permanent isolation thanks to a buggered immune system.

I'm open to recommendations (ideally from personal experience) on rifles, either charged by compressor or whatever. Just as long as I don't have to pump anything manually.
    I'm tempted to steer you back towards springers, from the personal experience of my wife. She suffers from a similar condition to yours; heavy arthritis in fingers knees and feet, combined with chemo over several years from metastatic breast cancer.

She has problems with most of my springers, in that they are as you say, too heavy to cock for someone who has strength and joint issues.

I have set up a HW97k for her at around 10fpe, and she enjoys the gun and shoots it in metallic silhouette competition.
    The 97/77 is easier to break open as it does not have the heavy locking system of a breakbarrel, and the 10fpe setup with a reduced spring is easy to cock for someone without arm and finger strength.
    And the gun is accurate and pleasant to fire too.

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    .... the heavy locking system of a breakbarrel, and the 10fpe setup with a reduced spring is easy to cock for someone without arm and finger strength. ....
    Certainly takes muscle power to cock a springer, but not much power to break a barrel breach open - only a very brief force. Rest the rifle over your upper leg and clout the end of it with something heavy but not hard, for example the lower surface of your fore-arm. That might help.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Plinking in the garden is seen as a good reason to be issued an AWC with some exceptions.

Look at the target shooting section that mentions plinking

https://www.gov.scot/publications/gu...land/pages/20/
    Last edited by bighit; 22-11-2020 at 07:03 PM.

Big thanks to everyone who replied.

From reading everything, looks like the Ratcatcher shall be the logical choice. Seems to get positive reviews too and I quite fancy the magazine upgrade potential.