Thread: Looking for someone to do stippling

Looking for someone to do stippling

Can anyone please recommend someone that does stippling.I have a cs500 stock but only the pistol grip is stippled I’d like some nice forend panels

James Reynolds,The Woodworking Gunsmith.
    James is in North Yorkshire.
    THEWOODWORKINGGUNSMITH.CO.UK
    Look on his site for photos of his work,a very talented stock maker.
    Les..

Get yourself a thick bolt and cut cross hatches in the end (about three passes each way with a hacksaw). File to a point. Bash it into the stock with a hammer a few hundred times.
    Or get an electric engraver tool and run that over the stock.

I recommend practising on some scrap wood first.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Article here about doing it DIY using a nail.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...hinner%20point.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I used a ball end bit in a Dremmel... Very pleased with how it turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Article here about doing it DIY using a nail.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...hinner%20point.
    I found this to be the easiest way to stipple and once you get into the rhythm of tap, nail up, move nail and tap. I also find it better to have the nail 'cocked' in the up position so it's not actually touching the wood when you tap it. A bit difficult to explain, but if done this way it's a lot easier to move the tip of the nail around the panel...Dom

Ps. When I've worked out how to load pics I'll pop up an image of one of my stocks

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Get yourself a thick bolt and cut cross hatches in the end (about three passes each way with a hacksaw). File to a point. Bash it into the stock with a hammer a few hundred times.
    Or get an electric engraver tool and run that over the stock.

I recommend practising on some scrap wood first.
    I second this method, I've been using it on pipes for a rustic finish and, once you get the hang of it, it can produce a nice deep stippling. I use a smallish Allen bolt, M6 or M8, screw it to a wooden handle, cut a cross with a hacksaw on the bolt head and sharpen the four segments. After I'm done I run over it with a stiff brush or a dremel brush to get rid of the loose pieces.

Another vote for the nail ... search /google / you tube. I had a go on scrap wood then ventured onto an actual stock. Once you get into the rhythm it is remarkably fast and satisfying to do.
    Cheers, Phil

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    I'll add a refinement to the nail if I may?

Older, i.e not age but long serving, may remember Baz, who used to be admin on here. He posted a tutorial on how to do stippling. It may be archived for all I know. But the trick is to use a short rigid Nail, hammered all the through a length (about 12'', 300mm is ideal) of broomhandle then blunt the end of the nail-but keeping the pointed shape. Now make believe you're a drummer in a rock band (Charlie watts, Keith Moon, Jon Bonham- your choice) and use the broomhandle stippler to beat out a rhythm on your stock!

As always practise on a scrap bit of wood but this works really well and you can achieve great accuracy and speed. I've stippled many stocks with this technique and it works well. Just remember you're not nailing anything but simply tapping out a rhythm

The other thing I do is to mark out the outline of the area you want to stipple, then mask off the rest of the stock with carefully applied duct tape- use several layers. This will prevent any stray taps from marking the stock. Finish off by putting a border around the stippled panel with a triangular swiss file.
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

I would say use a dremel with a diamond bur ball bit in it , just get the smallest you can and then just take your time , pratise on a scrap first to get the depth you like and then your away ,i did my daystate stock but can't put picture on here , the outline can be marked out and use a cutting bur or just a very fine straight bur cut the line and then just go deeper and then you can open it up once you have a track to follow run a wider bur along it to open the border up or leave it thin .
    Just go slow and steady but when your hand gets tired stop or you will make mistakes

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe1966 View Post
    I would say use a dremel with a diamond bur ball bit in it , just get the smallest you can and then just take your time , pratise on a scrap first to get the depth you like and then your away ,i did my daystate stock but can't put picture on here , the outline can be marked out and use a cutting bur or just a very fine straight bur cut the line and then just go deeper and then you can open it up once you have a track to follow run a wider bur along it to open the border up or leave it thin .
    Just go slow and steady but when your hand gets tired stop or you will make mistakes
    I've tried a dremel but found I just couldn't control the depth with any finesse. I suspect the grain of the wood plays a big part in this?
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    I've tried a dremel but found I just couldn't control the depth with any finesse. I suspect the grain of the wood plays a big part in this?
    Hi tony you can fit a little plastic tip to the bur to make sure of the depth , i have a huge huge HUGE amount of burs cutting and polishing burs lol i know the wife said what more , she use to get them for me when she worked in the dentist years ago .
    If you put the bur in at the longest it can then tip the dremel on a side ways it means you can only go in that little bit or just lay the dremel over a finger and tip it back and forward like a rocking horse , there are a huge amount of ways but it is easy mate .
    I would do it for people but everyone has there own vision of how it should come out , i have cut pictures in to i did a wolf scene for one and he was over the moon another wanted his name in italics and when done he said oh i think roman would have looked better , so now i just do my own guns .
    if i can help let me know

I use an old Burgess Powerline electric engraving tool, ( you can buy them very cheap second hand on the internet), they have a fine hammer action, which can be adjusted from light to heavy hammer, once the outline is marked out it takes no time at all to do the job (about half an hour on pistol grips) and is very even and professional looking. I use it with the blunt pointed tool supplied with the machine.

Cheers, Lawrie :