Thread: Sharp ace muzzle protector/ moderator ?

Sharp ace muzzle protector/ moderator ?

Hi I have just bought a sharp ace, been after one for quite some time but was waiting for one at the right price and this one needs some work to it but it has at some point had a muzzle cap or moderator on it that’s been long broken off and would like to know what it would have originally been and a quick net search has brought up nothing.

Any ideas?

Originally they would have had a foresight on the end, a bit like a bigger, better version of the ones seen on ratcatchers but with a tunnel over the post.
    Rich
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Looks like part of a Galway to me.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

the original was held on by a grub screw from memory and metal with a hood
    i think isold my ace that still had one on and my others have either silencer adapters or have a threaded barrel(before i got them)

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Looks like of a Galway to me.
    It does look like the base of the Galway silencer. At first I thought it was one of those old rubber muzzle protectors that were available for many early to mid 80s guns.
    In fact, it could be either. Whats it made of?
    Last edited by Drew451; 06-12-2020 at 08:28 PM.

Another vote for a Galway.

If not, maybe an Air Logic.

It’s a plastic material looks to be very brittle and has been mauled by a wrench before being snapped off!

And there we have it, quick search for Galway and it bought this up, looks like mystery is solved thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by rovercoupe View Post
    It’s a plastic material looks to be very brittle and has been mauled by a wrench before being snapped off!
    Then I'm not at all sure its any part of a Galway moderator. They were anodised aluminium if I recall correctly
    I'm going for one of the muzzle protectors thatwere briefly popular in the mid 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Then I'm not at all sure its any part of a Galway moderator. They were anodised aluminium if I recall correctly
    I'm going for one of the muzzle protectors thatwere briefly popular in the mid 80s.
    Weren't they made of rubber? Ive still got a couple attached to the end of some of my classic rifles.

Also, didn't Galway make some cheaper mods out of plastic?

Weren't they made of rubber? Ive still got a couple attached to the end of some of my classic rifles.

They were certainly made of rubber and therefore wouldnt require a wrench to remove. And wouldn't easily shear either.

I think Galway did.

Air Logic ads at the time made a point of stressing that theirs were all-metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I think Galway did.

Air Logic ads at the time made a point of stressing that theirs were all-metal.
    And also mentioned that they didn't contain matting whoes fibres could set on fire!

Point of interest (I think). Air Logic silencers, designed by Richard Spencer of Genesis fame, were made locally in Rishton at Precision Engineers. Im a mine of useless info.

And also mentioned that they didn't contain matting whoes fibres could set on fire!

Point of interest (I think). Air Logic silencers, designed by Richard Spencer of Genesis fame, were made locally in Rishton at Precision Engineers. Im a mine of useless info.
    Interesting info I.J., A while back I did come across some info about Glawya including patents etc
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177