Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .25 Pellet advice needed.

.25 Pellet advice needed.

For many years I have had an old BSA Supersport in .25. Fantastic little rifle which doesn't come out as much as it should.
    I have always used Rhino 19grn pellets as they shoot well and I had a few tins of them. im now down to my last half a tin
    and struggling to find them or another pellet that is suitable. Wether its just my gun or normal for other .25 rifles im finding
    other brands seem too long to seat properly without using a probe which buggers the accuracy up. Iv ordered some BSA
    Pylarm ones off a well known web site in the hope they are ok. Anyone else have problems with finding .25 pellets.?? Tim

Hi Tim,

I'm in Ancaster & have some .25's you can try if you want. I have heard that the BSA's have a smaller barrel at .243 ? which would make them difficult to fit in. I also have a pellet sizer you can try.

Rob

Hi, many thanks. Iv tried H&N Field target and Bisley super field but neither suited. The original Rhino's I had
    where 18 grain and the tin I have left are 19 grain. Both appear much shorter than the H & N or the Bisley.
    Which makes do you have. ?? Tim

The problem with pellet sizers is they usually damege the pellet leading to it being inaccurate. Open te breech with a taper reamer instead.

.25 pellts

Hi, iv been down this road also, the older Bsa barrels are 6.3mm , whereas the modern barrels and pellets made mostly on the continent are 6.35mm.
    Which is a real bugger, if tried the various pellets & pellet sizers, .243 will undersized the pellet and will actually slip down the barrel.
    Iv found good old fashioned marksman pellets very good for my .25 British Bsa. As modern bsa's are made by gamo in Spain.
    So if looking for .25 pellets look for 6.3mm ones. Hope this helps a little

Quote Originally Posted by steviebee View Post
    Hi, iv been down this road also, the older Bsa barrels are 6.3mm , whereas the modern barrels and pellets made mostly on the continent are 6.35mm.
    Which is a real bugger, if tried the various pellets & pellet sizers, .243 will undersized the pellet and will actually slip down the barrel.
    Iv found good old fashioned marksman pellets very good for my .25 British Bsa. As modern bsa's are made by gamo in Spain.
    So if looking for .25 pellets look for 6.3mm ones. Hope this helps a little
    Many Thanks, I have been doing a bit of digging today and it seems im not the only one with pellet issues in older BSA rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    For many years I have had an old BSA Supersport in .25. Fantastic little rifle which doesn't come out as much as it should.
    I have always used Rhino 19grn pellets as they shoot well and I had a few tins of them. im now down to my last half a tin
    and struggling to find them or another pellet that is suitable. Wether its just my gun or normal for other .25 rifles im finding
    other brands seem too long to seat properly without using a probe which buggers the accuracy up. Iv ordered some BSA
    Pylarm ones off a well known web site in the hope they are ok.
    Anyone else have problems with finding .25 pellets.?? Tim
    Unfortunately as I said on the other current open thread about .25 pellets (),
    only the old 18.6gn Pylarm are any use in old BSA barrels because they were 6.2mm, the new 21.6gn Pylarm are European 6.35mm & don't fit.

Not seen another open thread but will have a look. Ta.!

Hi Tim
    The site sponsor J S Ramsbottom has the RWS hollow point in .25,they are 25 grain and 6.35 but I found them a easy fit in my pre 2013 Lightning. I got my H/P for £2 a tin on a special deal they had going at the time.They are doing them for £3.79 a tin at the moment.
    May be worth a try at that price.
    Les..

I have some marksman, jsb polymags, jsb lead free & some Chinese one's

I have tried many .25 pellets albeit not in a BSA ….
    I was strangely surprised by the 18.3gn Marksman pellets ….good out to 25m ….. I would give these a go …
    and not too expensive if unsuitable

Many Thanks to all for your response. I had a tin of BSA Pylarm arrive today from Js Ramsbottoms but these too are very tight in the chamber.
    Measuring the dome head of my old Rhino's they are a lot smaller than the modern 6.35mm ones. Might have to look at a sizing die as now have
    three tins of pellets that are too big.

Quote Originally Posted by robthedog View Post
    Hi Tim,

I'm in Ancaster & have some .25's you can try if you want. I have heard that the BSA's have a smaller barrel at .243 ? which would make them difficult to fit in. I also have a pellet sizer you can try.

Rob
    Hi Rob, What size sizer do you use.???

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Many Thanks to all for your response. I had a tin of BSA Pylarm arrive today from Js Ramsbottoms but these too are very tight in the chamber.
    Measuring the dome head of my old Rhino's they are a lot smaller than the modern 6.35mm ones. Might have to look at a sizing die as now have
    three tins of pellets that are too big.
    They'll be the 21.6gn, 6.3mm then

I've just got hold of a 6.2mm reamer to open out my .243 sizer a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    They'll be the 21.6gn, 6.3mm then

I've just got hold of a 6.2mm reamer to open out my .243 sizer a bit.
    Keep us informed how it goes. If thats what we have to do to keep our old springers shooting then so be it.!!