Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
Very interesting comments. Many years ago I used .177 Superdomes in my 77K and later, when I got a s/h S400 I switched to 8.4 AAF for both rifles. I found accuracy with both rifles to be very good. I did need a new zero for the 77k though.
Sometime later I had a dodgy tin of AAF (well it seemed that way ... poor accuracy that was then corrected by opening a new tin) and moved on to JSB 8.4. I admit I have not trawled through several other pellet makes in search of anything better.
But, to get to the point: the comments about soft and hard are very interesting but would it be possible to rank pellet makes in order of hardness? A few have been mentioned but the differentiation between hard and soft seems a bit subjective. Is there a definitive test that produces actual values e.g 1mm deformation at a force of X? A list of pellets according to hardness could be useful.
Maybe it is a case of searching back through Jim's publications ... or even getting Gary Wain to compile a list?
Cheers, Phil
I have never directly tried to measure pellet hardness, Phil, but I did measure start pressures of JSB and other pellets, and the JSBs were all 200psi or less, the rest just under twice that (H&N FTT) or greater.