Thread: PTFE Defeated me !

PTFE Defeated me !

OK just saying after playing with a ptfe washer on a walhter LP53, I officially shall never PTFE use as washer again LOl, drove me mad, right parachute washer tryout next

Some guns it won't work on any day of the week.
    I tried on a HW35L and it was having none of it. On others it's worked fine.
    Dave

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    told you it wasn't finished
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Don't PTFE

It Stands for

Pain Through Futile Effort

I know BTDT ran one in his 77 for a long time but that's the only recorded instance of them working.

They don't fit initially then slam, then they expand and are too tight, they offer 'slipperiness' when it is obvious that the disadvantages outweigh that by 100 to 1 and they just want to make you tear your hair out.

Just don't.

Also, you do know that the Lucznik Predom is a pre-tuned Walther LP53? It pumps out what you are getting just out of the Cold War communist cardboard box.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    told you it wasn't finished
    yep you did , the saga will continue tomorrow ! But not with PTFE !

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Don't PTFE

Also, you do know that the Lucznik Predom is a pre-tuned Walther LP53? It pumps out what you are getting just out of the Cold War communist cardboard box.
    Yes but they are a bit crude and I have fallen in love again lol, for a few weeks !

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Don't PTFE

Yes but they are a bit crude and I have fallen in love again lol, for a few weeks !

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsquad View Post
    Well maybe for a future project. The cruder the muffin, the bigger the buffin.

Back in 1983 I fitted a TR Robb PTFE washer to a .177 HW35.

I didn't have a chrono then, so have no idea if it improved power or not. The firing cycle did seem quicker. Very, very accurate using Eley Wasps.

However, during extended sessions, my trigger finger had "pins and needles" sensations. Surge leading to "finger slap"???

It wasn't terrible but I later upgraded to a .177 HW80 to go with the .22 that I already had.

We now know that PTFE has no memory and can creep, so I would tend to avoid if possible. Although I think there are a few experimenters out there who are still getting good results.

Yes, the HW45 has a PTFE washer. Mine still runs on one. But they're reportedly much nicer once switched to a parachute design........
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I once fitted a Tornado with a PTFE piston washer. I thought it was OK for a while but then power dropped / became inconsistent and cocking became stiffer. I took it out and resized it to restore the fit. It lasted maybe 50 shots then started playing up again. I took it out and put a leather one back. I have not made a PTFE seal since.
    Cheers, Phil

And once you go back to leather on those golden oldies you benefit from the extra bonus of that lovely aroma.. Luvverly........
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Did I once remember reading a post by Mick, T20, where the PTFE had smeared down the bore of the compression area?

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"

Ertalyte TX

I don’t know if it’s suitable for your particular application but I’ve used this stuff before in place of PTFE which was too soft.

https://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/ert...-rod-tube.html

It’s nice stuff to machine and seems to be pretty dimensionally stable and has a low coefficient of friction.
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I once fitted a Tornado with a PTFE piston washer. I thought it was OK for a while but then power dropped / became inconsistent and cocking became stiffer. I took it out and resized it to restore the fit. It lasted maybe 50 shots then started playing up again. I took it out and put a leather one back. I have not made a PTFE seal since.
    Cheers, Phil
    Yep with you 100% the stuff just changes without regard for my sanity !! never again !

ptfe

never had any luck with the stuff no good at all