Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sight help please 2240 crosman

Sight help please 2240 crosman

Hi newbie no nothing here
    I recently bought a used 2240 Crosman .22 for very close rat shooting I tried it out and was amazed how accurate it was at the short ranges I need
    but it was so loud !!
    and so I googled and watched videos and bought an adapter and a very efficient Silencer a Hogan Decimeater it really does make it a lot better but here`s the rub I lost the front sight and am a bit stuck as to how I can overcome this with a very limited budget
    I need something I can use in low light ? I was hoping someone made a kinda clip on the silencer type front sight or is this just in my head ?

any help /advice appreciated thanks for reading

You need a nice GMAC brass silencer adapter with front sight pin.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    As above, they work a treat and you can cut the length of the pin to suit your sight, pellets and range to get it close then fine adjust with the adjustable rear sight.
    If your pistol has scope grooves on the breech then HW77 rear sights fit nicely and are a great improvement. This is what I use on mine along with the GMac adaptor.

Have fun!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Sadly
    it says
    Currently unavailable

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrygg View Post
    Sadly
    it says
    Currently unavailable
    Just found this for you on the 'bay

video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Another way to "silence" the 2240 a bit is to cut down on the striker spring.
    The 2240 wastes a LOT of gas after the pellet has left the muzzle, because the striker bounces on the valve.
    Cutting down the spring within limits will not reduce muzzle velocity very much, and reduces both muzzle blast and gas consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    Just found this for you on the 'bay

yes I had seen that
    Please, note the thread is M14 CCW, but not 1/2" UNF ! so no good mate thanks for trying though

Crosmans can be a money pit.

Fit a scope?
    They do plastic blocks that clamp to the barrel to give you a dovetail fitting. Work OK ish, but very easy to knock the scope off zero.
    Fit a steel breach and fit a pistol scope?
    Or steel breach, Crosman stock, and something like a Simmons – 1.5-5x32.

Mine has SAK moderator, steel breach Nikko Mountmaster 3-9x40, Crosman Stock, replace trigger spring and add spring guide, polish sears.
    Pellet on pellet at 8 yds, very quiet apart from hitting the target, 1/4" group standing, unrested, with a kind of 2 handed pistol grip.
    Air Arms, Weihrauch, BSA, Crosman, and Baikal

Drill and tap an M3 hole in the silencer adaptor - screw in an M3 screw and lock it off.
    Or even just use a small jubilee clip to attach a bent bit of metal to the body of the silencer adaptor.
    Depending on the diameter of your silencer you may need to make the front sight taller than the original and in that case you may need to make a longer rear sight blade to match.

I have done exactly this mod myself - works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Another way to "silence" the 2240 a bit is to cut down on the striker spring.
    The 2240 wastes a LOT of gas after the pellet has left the muzzle, because the striker bounces on the valve.
    Cutting down the spring within limits will not reduce muzzle velocity very much, and reduces both muzzle blast and gas consumption.
    I've heard this many times and must get round to doing it to mine one day.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Fibre optic shotgun beads .
    Stick it on the moderator

https://www.google.com/search?q=fibr...&bih=548&dpr=3

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I've heard this many times and must get round to doing it to mine one day.
    And I should get around to do a spring/velocity comparison.
    I have a couple cut striker springs at different lengths, so a chronograph session with different springs should give numbers that can be used if other people want to cut down a spring without going too far.
    One thing you have to bear in mind is that a cut down spring could introduce some valve-lock at high summer temperatures.
    Other than that its a win-win-win situation: less cocking effort, less gas consumption, less noise.

And I should get around to do a spring/velocity comparison.
    I have a couple cut striker springs at different lengths, so a chronograph session with different springs should give numbers that can be used if other people want to cut down a spring without going too far.
    One thing you have to bear in mind is that a cut down spring could introduce some valve-lock at high summer temperatures.
    Other than that its a win-win-win situation: less cocking effort, less gas consumption, less noise.
    Such a comparison would prove very useful and interesting, evert. I guess temperature would also have to be an important consideration.

Re the weaker spring on the shorter barrelled 2240 (as opposed to the 2250 models), I wonder if the reduced muzzle blast may help accuracy a little?

Also, at what point may too weak a spring affect CO2 capsule piercing reliability?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Such a comparison would prove very useful and interesting
    And the, once again, I have the humbling experience of my memory not being what it used to be.
    I have a lot of different springs in the box of crosman parts, but cant figure out which is an original 22xx spring, which is a Benjamin discovery spring, which is a 1377 spring, and which is just something I put in the box several years ago because it fits the guns.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the original 2240 spring?

And the, once again, I have the humbling experience of my memory not being what it used to be.
    I have a lot of different springs in the box of crosman parts, but cant figure out which is an original 22xx spring, which is a Benjamin discovery spring, which is a 1377 spring, and which is just something I put in the box several years ago because it fits the guns.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the original 2240 spring?
    Easily done, evert. Sorry, I don't have any dimensions. Wondering if any images from sites like G-Mac, Chambers or Knibbs might help, or on-line tutorials? Maybe you could count the coils and compare if no-one were to come forward with the dimensions?