Thread: Diana Model 58

Diana Model 58

I have seen more BSA Military Pattern rifles than the above. If I had the £££ and could sneak it in, I would buy it!

http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/airriflespre1939.html

Scroll down.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    I have seen more BSA Military Pattern rifles than the above. If I had the £££ and could sneak it in, I would buy it!

http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/airriflespre1939.html

Scroll down.
    Yes, pretty scarce! Looks nice but pics so tiny it's hard to be sure.

Interestingly, Protek has added to its description of the Diana 35 that it's still advertising as a circa 1925 Diana 34 to say the following:

"For avoidance of doubt we initially identified this as a model 34. This identification was taken from a 1927 Gecado catalogue where there is listed “NR2776 (Diana NR34) Wir number 2772, aber mit Englischem pistolgriffschaft und fischhaut” A re-reading of the catalogue leads us now to believe this seems to refer to a more familiar Diana 27 style rifle but with an English style checkered grip. (Possibly same as a pre world war 1 Lincoln Jeffries type pistol grip stock). The 35 is listed as similar “Aber mit Langem Vorderschaft” (but with long fore end). So this is a 35 but 34 did exist (as did 33 and 32) but gone by time of 1929 Geco catalogue that we have."

All very fascinating stuff I'm sure, but it's still an early Diana 35, probably dating to 1928-30.

Se here for more prewar Diana catalogues than most humans can bear:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery.com/vintage-diana-resources/diana-airguns-pre-war-catalogues-brochures/

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I know this is picky for such a rare item but the 2nd variant is the Diana 58 to roll out the money for. I was fortunate this year to buy the 2nd and 3rd variants and the second is the truly special rifle.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Although it is a very very rare rifle. l would sooner have one of the Giffard's for a lot less money. they have a lot more history to them, just my take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Although it is a very very rare rifle. l would sooner have one of the Giffard's for a lot less money. they have a lot more history to them, just my take on it.
    Actually I could agree but the spring mechanics of the Diana are a lot easier to deal with if you want to shoot the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    I grew with this. I am fairly sure there is a Giffard in my future, once I am a bit more familiar with what’s what there. I’ve no interest in the Diana but then I’ve got drawers full of things that interest me that for others would be “meh”, so each to his own.
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I know this is picky for such a rare item but the 2nd variant is the Diana 58 to roll out the money for. I was fortunate this year to buy the 2nd and 3rd variants and the second is the truly special rifle.
    I tend to agree with this. The third series Diana 58 is a lovely air rifle but the second series is even lovelier. To find a near-mint one like yours is a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity, in Europe at least.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I tend to agree with this. The third series Diana 58 is a lovely air rifle but the second series is even lovelier. To find a near-mint one like yours is a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity, in Europe at least.
    We may have a few more over? Stoeger had it in its catalog but given its price you got to wonder how many were actually sold during the Depression? Mine has German retail markings so could be GI bring back or GI purchases since we had and still have a large military base there? My retail shop markings are from a shop in a town right by that base?