Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firearms saftey consultation - inculdes airguns & minature rifle ranges

Firearms saftey consultation - inculdes airguns & minature rifle ranges

Quote Originally Posted by JB101 View Post
    I cannot see how it would not be in everybody's interests to respond as individuals to this consultation.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Please take the time to fill it in, it's our future, and if we don't have a say then we can hardly complain later.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Filled it in, but until reading it fully, didn't know/realise that a mini air rifle range (like you get at a fair ground) are the same as a mini .22 rimfire range - no regulations on who can run them

Having read through the entire document, by & large I think it's extremely fair, with most of the extra measures suggested being common sense.

About the only item I don't like is raising the age for airguns on private land,
    anyone who grows up on a farm knows that youngsters with airguns do a lot of vermin control, because of farm animals they are invariably well trained about safety especially proper back stops backstops.

The only serious problem I see with UK firearms rules is the difficulty in youngsters getting proper training, largely due to the paranoia of non shooters,
    that situation has yet to be addressed, & should be asap.

I will be responding & highlighting the final point, to prevent accidents you need to train in the safe handling of firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Having read through the entire document, by & large I think it's extremely fair, with most of the extra measures suggested being common sense.

About the only item I don't like is raising the age for airguns on private land,
    anyone who grows up on a farm knows that youngsters with airguns do a lot of vermin control, because of farm animals they are invariably well trained about safety especially proper back stops backstops.

The only serious problem I see with UK firearms rules is the difficulty in youngsters getting proper training, largely due to the paranoia of non shooters,
    that situation has yet to be addressed, & should be asap.

I will be responding & highlighting the final point, to prevent accidents you need to train in the safe handling of firearms.
    Must admit to not liking the idea of keeping the highest power guns at a range, to me, that's just asking for break-ins

Quote Originally Posted by SuffolkRifle View Post
    Must admit to not liking the idea of keeping the highest power guns at a range, to me, that's just asking for break-ins
    Very good point, as I doubt many ranges are manned 24/7.
    Plus I expect anyone wanting such a gun could/would obtain it from Eastern Europe anyway.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    To me the loophole on mini ranges should be closed - it's bizarre that you can buy 20 full bore guns and thousands of rounds of ammo by saying your running a range, yet you can't buy a .22LR for pest control without getting an FAC and being security checked by the police

I also think young people should be supervised on private land - because the vast majority of "private land" used for this is a garden, and not a farm or estate. Making farms/estates exempt for the purpose of pest control would be an option, but as it is, half of all injuries are by unsupervised kids, typically in back yards. You need to remember most of us reading this are on a forum because we are interested and enthusiastic about air guns, we care and are on the whole very responsible - this is not the typical case of Joe public handing an air gun to his kids and going to watch the match while they shoot the neighbours cat unsupervised

Some of the extra security measures for the high powered rifles are just stupid - there have been none used in any crime ever in the UK - this is just a political soap box shout out and a waste of time. To suggest we should be taking actions like "putting shutters on all doors and windows" where guns are kept is ridiculous - you cant do this to your house!!!! This is paramount to a ban

So do read the details and make your own minds up, and fill in the form to have your say.

As @angrybear mentions - training is a great things, especially with the young, but other than us do this responsibly with our own kids or in our own clubs I don't know how that could be put into legislation?

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    it's bizarre that you can buy 20 full bore guns and thousands of rounds of ammo by saying your running a range
    Leaving aside views on the 'appropriateness' of the law relating to miniature rifle ranges, the term miniature rifle range relates to rimfire rifles not fullbores.

As I understand it there are a number of miniature rifle ranges that have operated for many years without incident, unfortunately though there have been instances where this concession not loophole has been abused.
    Last edited by rockdrill; 25-11-2020 at 01:18 PM.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

In my view, the more 'security' that is put visibly on a house, the more 'attractive' it becomes to burglars - due to the 'if they've spent that much on the anti-theft precautions, there must be something worth stealing inside' mentality

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Putting aside the proposals for air weapons for a moment, the idea that "high muzzle energy rifles" could only be stored a club seems not well-thought out: surely better to store arelatively low number of such items at the owners house under the current requirements (rifle cabinet, alarm system...) where the property is frequently occupied than store many such rifles at a gun club which is frequently unoccupied?

No sensible gun club would want to take on that responsibility: their security bill would be horrendous and the accountability to both the owners and the police would be considerable. it would be a magnet for the nefarious nasties.

Jerry

The storage of "high=powered" guns at clubs has no security or safety benefits.
    Miniature range rules predate the FAC system and have been of benefit to clubs and ranges. Where is the evidence that the miniature range rules have caused a crime problem? The case involving a miniature range recently did not involve anyone being injured, although I agree that their behaviour was not endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    The storage of "high=powered" guns at clubs has no security or safety benefits.
    Miniature range rules predate the FAC system and have been of benefit to clubs and ranges. Where is the evidence that the miniature range rules have caused a crime problem? The case involving a miniature range recently did not involve anyone being injured, although I agree that their behaviour was not endearing.
    https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/up...rom-gun-range/

Former solider Craig Savage stole the semi-automatic rifle which he used to murder his estranged wife and her mother from a local gun range just minutes before the murders.

https://www.1066ts.co.uk/FAQS

Do I need to be a member?
    No, anyone aged within our age requirements can take part in our Experiences.
    We offer Membership's to customers who own their own equipment and regularly hire lanes.

Do I need to have a firearms Certificate?

No, however by signing our Section 21 form you will be declaring that you have never had a firearm or shotgun application refused or such a certificate revoked. You will also declare that you are not a person prohibited to use Firearms by virtue of Section 21 of The Firearms Act 1968.
    If you are bringing your own .22 Rifle, we would need to see proof of your Firearms Certificate.
    Last edited by bighit; 25-11-2020 at 04:07 PM.

One crime that happened at a miniature range in about 120 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    One crime that happened at a miniature range in about 120 years.
    One is enough though . The other incident at the Full Metal Jacket Range with bullets flying over the heads of truckers may have been the straw that broke the camels back.

It only takes one incident to get the ball rolling sadly.