Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First purchase all rounder advice

First purchase all rounder advice

Hi all, I'm just getting back into shooting having not done it for 20 years or so, and even back then not very often. I'm looking for some advice on what to buy as a decent all-rounder for somebody new to the sport. I'm going to join a club and have a go on the ranges but also would like to try HFT in the future and maybe even a spot of hunting with my mate.
    If money was no object I'd possibly buy different rifles for different disciplines but money is tight, so I can only afford the one rifle and will probably have to buy second hand. Due to cost I'm looking at a springer. My mate has recommended the HW97K which seems to get good write ups on here and elsewhere. Would this be a decent all rounder and what others do you think are worth a look that are readily available on the second hand market? Also, the million dollar question, would .177 or .22 be best for an all rounder?

Cheers,

Stu.

Your own suggestion is good, a .177 HW97k will do almost anything you could ask from a sub-fac airgun, except 10m olympic competition.
    Its only drawback is that it can be a bit heavy.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, can't really go wrong with the 97, or it's slightly more refined British clone, the TX200. Both are very capable rifles for HFt and general use.

As said, they are a fraction heavy, so just try one before you buy. If they are too heavy, an HW95 or 99 makes sense.

.177 has the more forgiving trajectory, and cheaper pellets, so probably the best choice at this stage. Without opening the calibre debate, .22 might make sense for hunting, but .177 does everything, so start there.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Welcome to the forum, Stu.

Yes, the HW97 is an excellent recommendation. Also consider the 77, 95 and 98 plus the Air Arms TX200, basing your final decision on how the rifle feels for you, size, balance and weight wise. All in .177.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Rair Rifles

Hi I have a early HW 97 177 cal and I love it

Rair Rifles

Hi I also have a Remington pest controller.22 About £120 brand new .there a video review on the internet by (big dans airguns ) Be thinks they are great have a watch somewhere to start maybe

Quote Originally Posted by stooby doo View Post
    Hi all, I'm just getting back into shooting having not done it for 20 years or so, and even back then not very often. I'm looking for some advice on what to buy as a decent all-rounder for somebody new to the sport. I'm going to join a club and have a go on the ranges but also would like to try HFT in the future and maybe even a spot of hunting with my mate.
    If money was no object I'd possibly buy different rifles for different disciplines but money is tight, so I can only afford the one......

Cheers,

Stu.
    Having "just" the one rifle wouldn't actually be a disadvantage, Stu, and there's that old saying in shooting circles, "beware the man with just the one gun"......Having "just" that one gun means you get to know that gun inside out. How it behaves. How the trigger breaks. Especially with a springer - how it recoils and prefers to be "held", and even more important on positional shots as they behave differently when shot from different positions. Having more than one rifle just confuses the issue, especially if you're chopping and changing constantly. Throw different calibres in with their different trajectories and that's another set of variables.

I have far too many guns and I'm a hopeless shot these days.

So, my advice would be to get that research done. As far as Covid allows, try and get to handle and try as many rifles as possible to see what suits you. Buy wisely, buy once. Once purchased, get it set up as you want / need. Discover the most accurate pellet for your rifle and stick with it. Practice, practice, practice. From as many different positions as you can and at different ranges / angles etc. Then practice some more. And more......I guarantee you top results and satisfaction if you follow this mantra.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by stooby doo View Post
    If money was no object I'd possibly buy different rifles for different disciplines but money is tight, so I can only afford the one rifle and will probably have to buy second hand. Due to cost I'm looking at a springer. My mate has recommended the HW97K which seems to get good write ups on here and elsewhere. Would this be a decent all rounder and what others do you think are worth a look that are readily available on the second hand market? Also, the million dollar question, would .177 or .22 be best for an all rounder?

Cheers,

Stu.
    HW95

It can be medium weight or heavy weight with addition of heavier balancing scope / mounts and moderator, easy to change calibre, loads of tuning and stock options later on etc etc
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

A new shooter will be unlikely to get on with a 97 / 77 TX - easy to forget that a lot of muscle memory / build up happens for springer shooting

I've seen people do the big heavy rifle route as new shooters a lot when I was more into clubs - it just puts more off than stay - though they don't let on their arms are about to drop off or cramped usually - the matcho stuff

Hw 95 best option / Diana 31/34 - OK but they are not so easy to tune upgrade now as so many variants which gets confusing
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

HW 99S .22 Had every HW there is over the years for me the 99s was the most accurate out of the box fast loading and could be carried all day.

Unpopular opinion?

Try and find a good used AA S400 that’s within your budget.

If you’re shooting targets and looking for accuracy, you’ll be disappointed if you compare yourself with a springer against others with PCPs.

I’ve seen lots of new club shooters go the route you’re considering. Those that don’t drop by the wayside in fairly short order rapidly acquire a PCP.

Don’t get me wrong, I love shooting springers but for fun.

*ducks and prepares for incoming*

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkiets View Post
    Try and find a good used AA S400 that’s within your budget.

If you’re shooting targets and looking for accuracy, you’ll be disappointed if you compare yourself with a springer against others with PCPs.

I’ve seen lots of new club shooters go the route you’re considering. Those that don’t drop by the wayside in fairly short order rapidly acquire a PCP.

Don’t get me wrong, I love shooting springers but for fun.

*ducks and prepares for incoming*
    I'm of the same mind

I've had almost everything mentioned above over the years, and currently have a TX200 which replaced my last HW97 - very little difference between them, and both have had work done to them meaning something like an AA S400/410 would actually be cheaper to purchase than the ones I had/have, and second hand is a better way to go with a tight budget anyway. I only shoot .177 as for most situations the trajectory gain in achievable accuracy by the average shooter outweighs any perceived gain in pellet weight/size for hunting. This is due to the fact that regardless of the calibre, the main goal is to hit the target for a clean kill in the first place, and under field conditions a .177 is easier to estimate using fieldcraft more of the time.

I'm assuming you have tried both PCPs and springers? If you have not, I'd suggest getting a go of both types of gun before you jump in, but just remember for the PCP you need charging gear at around the £120 mark second hand, so realistically your looking at about £500 for an S400/410 set up, you could get an untouched HW97/TX200 for around the £280/£300 mark if money is a key factor.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Wow, lot's to think about, thanks for all the responses.

There are a couple of dealers local to me. I think best bet would be to pay them a visit once we get out of this bloody lockdown and get a feel for some of those suggested - thanks again.

starter kit

I know you said you wanted a springer but if you can find the money I'd really consider an S400. 2nd hand you can probably find one for £300, add a scope for £70,-jsr- (if you join a club somebody may even lend you a perfectly good 3-9x40). Most clubs also have an air bottle so that would save that expense, but a new pump can be had for £80 (airforce).
    Get along to a club if you can - difficult at the moment I know - but bargains do come up at clubs. Last year at my club somebody sold up their kit, s400, good scope, dive bottle, bag etc to a new member for £400. HTH Dave

Hi Stooby,
    Once restrictions lift enough for the range at leigh (Bolton Airgun Club) to reopen.
    Get your self along there.
    If I am in (Usually Tuesdays after 4pm pre C19) ….you are welcome to try what I have with me.......
    with pre arrangement I can take my 97 (.177) for you, to see if you can get along with it.
    Otherwise it will be PCPs
    To be fair its a good crowd that get in there, always happy to help newcomers.
    I would try as many as you possibly can and ask lots of questions ... before deciding
    what to buy.
    Where abouts in St Helens are you ?