Thread: Red Dot Sights

Red Dot Sights

A recent thread in collectables about early Red Dot Sights has me wondering if any of the current crop of budget models (say up to £140) would be any use for low light condition vermin control when the target silhouette can be seen, for instance Rats in low light up to about 15 - 20 metres. Rifle would be along the lines of a BSA Ultra or HW95
    Appreciate comments from anyone who has experience in this field
    Last edited by ken69; 02-12-2020 at 05:48 PM.

I think that red dot sights work really well on rifles out to 15m. At 20m you will find the dot starts to cover more of the target than you might like. You won't find many of the headshot only snipers advocating them LOL

I think you also need to make clear if you refer to the holographic (?) dot projected on to a bit of perspex type, which imo are not fit for use on live prey end of.
    Or
    The dot laser target designators, which can be very accurate if set up correctly

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I went through this exact thing a few months ago. I now have a Hawke Reflex Dot 3 moa and a Geco open 2 moa, both are very good and both work well enough on a .22lr to 50m.
    I think the Hawke was around £100 and the Geco was about £170. The Hawke is on the Glock and gets a hammering, it has never lost zero, the Geco is on .22 Browning and is a tack driver in my wifes hands.
    Both worth every penny imo.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Yes, as stated above, the really cheap plastic ones are rather wobbly to say the least. They will also have the largest, most un-round dots too. But I guess they wouldn't sell many if they called them Red Smudge Sights LOL.
    The best of the best are the laser/hologram sights but they are often more expensive than decent quality magnifying optics. I think that red dots of around £100 are reasonable though. These will be of good construction and will use properly coated glass reflective surfaces. Expect the dot sizes to be 3 to 4 mil dots in size. Holographics are more like 1 to 2 mil dots I think but I can't recall exact specs without further reference. Bear in mind though that even the best versions are only suitable for 25m tops. These sights were invented for rapid acquisition of man sized targets in urban situations i.e. less than 30m not rats heads at 20m.
    They are fun though and I think that's the point (oops, pardon the pun )

Nice guns & sights TinBum.
    Not seen a Buckman in a while. I think that's the lower one isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I think you also need to make clear if you refer to the holographic (?) dot projected on to a bit of perspex type, which imo are not fit for use on live prey end of.
    Or
    The dot laser target designators, which can be very accurate if set up correctly
    To be honest they are something I know very little about, hence the reason for asking. I need to read up on a few specifications. I had thought about a £140 budget, just wondering if I could get anything fit for purpose for that sort of money

Budget ones have loads of issues. Top of the range very few. Rifle specific will deliver solid central hits as far as you like, 400m no problem. Dot size from 4MOA to 1 MOA are normal, I like 2 on handgun, 1 on carbines.
    So its really all about what you want to pay. For plinking good fun then £120 should get something fun, if not perfect. I would still try to find a main budget brand rather than unbranded.

A make like Vortex is where I would start when going beyond plinking fun. AimPoint are superb as are EOtech. Gets all a bit of a bun fight of loyalties who is best at the higher quality levels. Much is just personal.

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    To be honest they are something I know very little about....
    Then borrow one or buy a really cheap one, some are after all very cheap! You can decide whether you like them then maybe buy a good one.

I bought a cheap one one then acquired two more on guns. One of them is a Hawke and has different reticles. It's optically good as far as I can judge and I think it has the widest field of view. Fast acquisition of the target is easier because you can be further off target and still see where the dot is. You have to be good at intuitively pointing a pistol if you want to be fast with a red dot.

Glow-dot open sights? Well, you can see them even if you're 30 degrees off!
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Tinners, stop winding all us popgun shooters up
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    Then borrow one or buy a really cheap one, some are after all very cheap! You can decide whether you like them then maybe buy a good one.

I bought a cheap one one then acquired two more on guns. One of them is a Hawke and has different reticles. It's optically good as far as I can judge and I think it has the widest field of view. Fast acquisition of the target is easier because you can be further off target and still see where the dot is. You have to be good at intuitively pointing a pistol if you want to be fast with a red dot.

Glow-dot open sights? Well, you can see them even if you're 30 degrees off!
    That’s a great offer thanks. PM me details and I will send you some cash to cover postage costs

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Oh shit.

It wasn't an offer. If you look at the text I wrote there's no offer there.

However...

Yes. You can have the cheap one free except for postage. I think that's within the rules. I'll PM you with my phone number.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2