Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: single point sight

single point sight

hi all,rummaging around in the loft yesterday looking for christmas tree lights came across this.whats it worth if anything please?.its just as it is in the photo,no turret caps no mounts,cheers greasemonkey..
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

Stick it on the bay as a Star Wars scope and you may well get £100 plus. Its missing its caps.

As an air rifle scope then £35. As a Star Wars prop £100 to £200 depending on condition. Yours is the clear perspex day example so more desirable than the day/night misted version which used to be more expensive.

Many have cracked lenses which the Star Wars guys don't worry too much about. They even print copies.

Certain 4x20 scopes do well too as Star Wars props.

greasemonkey,

My SinglePoint is also missing the caps - in fact, all of the (few) SinglePoints I have seen, in the flesh, in the last twenty (20) years have been missing the caps !

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

singlepoint

I have 7 or 8 of them.

Good luck in getting more than £30 for one and yours sadly is in worse condition than any of mine which were bought for £20-£30. Albeit a good while ago before people cottoned on to the Star War connection.

Having said that, it's been a good few years since I bought the last one so I could be well out of date.

Mentioned in the House of Lords here in 1971....

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/l...glepoint-sight

I can assure there are some out there that will pay stooooooooopid money for these things. Watched a few on the bay in the last couple of years go for way more than £30, way more!
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    I have 7 or 8 of them.

Mentioned in the House of Lords here in 1971....

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/l...glepoint-sight

I have one from those days complete with caps. Factory fitted to an SLR dust cover. No, I'm not parting with it

The original Star wars guns are coming up for sale next month with the scopes fitted. Starting price of 20k up on saleroom. com
    List your scope on fleabay and sell worldwide. Should fetch £200 to a buyer in the States. I've sold a few there.
    ,AA , Magtech , Arnie, Sako, Ruger . plus the others .

Please report back here if you can get those sort of prices. I don't really need 7 of them.....

I had one on my Gas rammed Air Arms Hi-Power at one point then my HW45 .

Mine was complete as I bought it brand new via Battle Orders for around £30 in the early 90's .

When I swapped the Hi-power for a radio scanner ,the single point went with the rifle and a scope on the rifle .

Wished I had kept them all

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Three digit sum no trouble at all... Just follow a few on the bay - you'll soon get an idea

https://i.imgur.com/NLOQ2IR.png

'Take-no-crap' looking dude apparently in Vietnam....

https://soldiersystems.net/2015/11/1...1-cqbr-part-i/

See a couple of pages down for more info..

The Singlepoint Sight and Mount

To many historians and enthusiasts, the defining feature of a Son Tay rifle is the Singlepoint OEG scope. According to The Son Tay Raid: American POWs in Vietnam Were Not Forgotten, the night shooting performance of assault team members was limited by the conventional field sights mounted atop the carry handle of the GAU-5 Carbines. Team members discovered an advertisement for the Singlepoint OEG scope by the Normark Corporation and commercially acquired a unit for evaluation. Testing showed that the scope was constructed to military specifications and was able to increase the night engagement capability of the assault teams. The team purchased the first scope in mid-September 1970 and ordered another 49 units prior to the end of October 1970. Each scope was priced at $49.95 per unit.5 Author’s Note: $49.95 in 1970s dollars adjusts to approximately $305.00 in 2015 dollars.
    Last edited by BigDuncs; 27-11-2020 at 12:44 AM.

thanks all for your contributions,everydays a schoolday.i have certainly learnt a fair bit about about this "scope".my wifes uncle gave it to me in the 1980's.like the military connection,i have a hazy recollection of reading about it at the time ,did not some British solders purchase them for use in Northern Ireland?.there is a great deal of knowledge in this part of the forum..cheers greasemonkey..
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 27-11-2020 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spelin
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

In Wild Geese the SAS soldier has one on his rifle. Plenty tried the scope for military purposes but most gave up due to it needing to be zeroed to the individual. It was a bit fragile too.
    I shot with one just enough to get an impression. Not bad, but nothing like as good as say an AimPoint.
    Very much of their time.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    In Wild Geese the SAS soldier has one on his rifle. Plenty tried the scope for military purposes but most gave up due to it needing to be zeroed to the individual. It was a bit fragile too.
    I shot with one just enough to get an impression. Not bad, but nothing like as good as say an AimPoint.
    Very much of their time.
    I had one mounted on my HW35 in the very early 80's....it didn't stay on the long though.
    I replaced it with the ''Original'' 4 x 40 jap scope (I believe it was a generic Jap scope badged to suit many suppliers) that I originally fitted in 1978.

BTW - I've still got that scope - crystal clear...

Cheers Steve

There were several different versions with flat/round lenses even some green dots later on

The dots were rarely round and not much use beyond close range but they fulfilled a requirement at the time until Hakko red dot and Tasco aimpoints came along , they saw limited and massively over emphasised military service, hence their popularity through the late 70s and early 80s.

They are virtually unbreakable apart from the lens and without caps will still attract over £100 on the bay of fleas

HTH
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930