Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airgun Fill pressure

Question Airgun Fill pressure

Hi , might be a silly question , but I got a rotex rm8 varmint uc , it has a 200 cc bottle and its recommended to fill 232 bars, how is this possible, ive been filling to 200, where should i fill it to.

i'm no expert but i think the bottle will have been tested to a higher pressure as will the gauge that reads 232
    but you're right to only fill to 200 as that is what's usually recommended in most cases anyway

I'd go to 200bar on that 👍

All of the above.

The safe working pressure, often PW, is stated on each cylinder. 200cc is the volume yours will store. The RM8 manual recommends 232 bar maximum fill pressure.
    This will give more shots per fill than 200 bar before needing refill at recommend 70 bar. Sorry if talking down but seems you have confused volume with pressure.
    Filling to 200 bar will apply less stress to the cylinder but store fewer shots. Haven't got an RM8 to check cylinder rating so you need to check yours.

Anything with a cylinder I always do 190 bar, Buddy bottle type I always do 200 bar. I just prefer to stay away from the maximum limit.

As others have said 232 is the max fill pressure for your bottle.

You'll have an ideal pressure somewhere up to that.

It's your choice how high you go up to 232 bar.

If you fill at 232 bar you will get more shots, but you may get a power curve on some rifles.

If you fill lower you will get less shots but probably less of a power curve on some rifles.

If you fill really low you'll get even less shots and you'll have less power.

More pressure doesn't always equal more power, and often it doesn't.

So generally with most guns people advise a sweet spot compromise between shot count and power curve. That might be why 200 bar is suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by tbagtel View Post
    i'm no expert but i think the bottle will have been tested to a higher pressure as will the gauge that reads 232
    but you're right to only fill to 200 as that is what's usually recommended in most cases anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    I'd go to 200bar on that 👍
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    As others have said 232 is the max fill pressure for your bottle.

You'll have an ideal pressure somewhere up to that.

It's your choice how high you go up to 232 bar.

If you fill at 232 bar you will get more shots, but you may get a power curve on some rifles.

If you fill lower you will get less shots but probably less of a power curve on some rifles.

If you fill really low you'll get even less shots and you'll have less power.

More pressure doesn't always equal more power, and often it doesn't.

So generally with most guns people advise a sweet spot compromise between shot count and power curve. That might be why 200 bar is suggested.
    Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    The safe working pressure, often PW, is stated on each cylinder. 200cc is the volume yours will store. The RM8 manual recommends 232 bar maximum fill pressure.
    This will give more shots per fill than 200 bar before needing refill at recommend 70 bar. Sorry if talking down but seems you have confused volume with pressure.
    Filling to 200 bar will apply less stress to the cylinder but store fewer shots. Haven't got an RM8 to check cylinder rating so you need to check yours.
    I looking have a look tomorrow and get too a u

id fill to 200 bar

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Anything with a cylinder I always do 190 bar, Buddy bottle type I always do 200 bar. I just prefer to stay away from the maximum limit.
    I thought it was just me.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

If its at a club, I fill to 180 .... not by choice but because everyone is happy to fill their guns but cant be arsed to go get the bugger filled when its empty.

My rifle is a 250 bar and thats what I would fill it to.

Do you really think that a 200 bar bottle is gonna do less damage to you than a 250 or a 180.

Bear in mind a tractor tyre kills people and thats a few PSI.

These units are tested to well above these limits. And the safe working pressure is as safe as the quality of the equipment being tested.

If your bothered, then you can always submit your guns bottle or cylinder for hydro or sonic testing.

AFAIAA, not many PCP shooters submit the rifle pressure vessel for testing.

The testing regime for divers bottles is well known but the guns bottles are a bit of a void re filling.

The more modern rifles are now being engineered to run much higher bar pressure.

180 or 250 bar is gonna remove dental plaque if he fails.....

I dont see how its really gonna make a shit sandwich difference to you.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I thought it was just me.
    Most of my mates go 250 with the buddy bottle, I just can't, The thought of something going wrong is frightening, I dropped a 2ltr bottle of Pepsi once in 1986, A little hole appeared in the cap, It was empty by the time I ran about 300 yepards to get it, It took of like a tornado, If that had hit someone in the face I believe the speed it travelled it may well have killed them, I'm not keen on high pressure, I dont think on time people realise how much pressure is in these guns,

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    Most of my mates go 250 with the buddy bottle, I just can't, The thought of something going wrong is frightening, I dropped a 2ltr bottle of Pepsi once in 1986, A little hole appeared in the cap, It was empty by the time I ran about 300 yepards to get it, It took of like a tornado, If that had hit someone in the face I believe the speed it travelled it may well have killed them, I'm not keen on high pressure, I dont think on time people realise how much pressure is in these guns,
    I personally believe the greatest danger to our sport is from high pressure air and its dangers that some people dont appreciate.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I personally believe the greatest danger to our sport is from high pressure air and its dangers that some people dont appreciate.
    Seeing the result of someone removing a whip from tank to gun without using the bleed tap was bad enough, Seeing the home made quick fill adapters on arse end of buddy bottles is frightening enough for me aswell, And I ride a motorcycle everyday,

Like this clown.

https://youtu.be/9uqfO3FI_BA?t=186

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    the walther is regged so no power curve to worry about.

you are fine to fill it to the 232 recommended.

equally, no issue filling it less, you just get fewer shots, but reg presure is around 90 bar, so you still get plenty of shot with 200 bar in a 200 cc bottle. i fill mine to 200 as i hardly use it, and that lasts me more than enough...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.