Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airgun Fill pressure

I will repeat, if a bottle fails at 180 bar..... how much better off do you think you are than 200 bar or 232 bar.

Your logic is "good kit well maintained".

It is really going to make absolutely FA difference ifvyou happen ti be holding it should it fail.

More people have accidentally shot themselves ... or others... with air rifles than have been injured by bottle failures.

IJ is wrong on that score.

I have an extremly healthy respect for high pressure air. As it should be but being sensible is the key thing.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I personally believe the greatest danger to our sport is from high pressure air and its dangers that some people dont appreciate.
    I'd be somewhat harsher & say the greatest danger is from people who clearly don't have a clue what they're doing with high pressure compressed air

It's bad enough when people cant work out it won't fill, because they don't understand that their cylinder pressure drops with each fill & they've run out of usable air

But seriously, to seemingly confuse Cubic Capacity with Safe Working Pressure

Never mind morons who fill above the SWP.

I've had to clean up the mess when someone tried a short cut with HP gas, he ended up missing 7 fingers & half an arm.
    Last edited by angrybear; 29-11-2020 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hftmelton View Post
    I looking have a look tomorrow and get too a u
    Have you been on the happy juice?

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I'd be somewhat harsher & say the greatest danger is from people who clearly don't have a clue what they're doing with high pressure compressed air

I was being polite. Yes, I know, totally out of character.

Only recently I was in my gun shop when a S400 was brought in. His son had over filled it to approx 240 BAR. The end of the cylinder was just starting to flare.
    I have also heard of a S300 being connected to full 300 BAR bottle, the bottle cracked open and the owner went into the kitchen to make a brew! BOOM. The end of the rifles air cylinder blew out. Luckily no one was in the room.
    One of our club members, an ex heavy plant engineer so he knew what he was doing, was filling a new HW100 cylinder when he got to 120BAR it split from top to bottom. Luckily he wasn't injured.
    Its only a matter of time unfortunately before someone is seriously injured or killed then the Health & Safety brigade will jump on the anti gun band wagon.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I was being polite. Yes, I know, totally out of character.

Only recently I was in my gun shop when a S400 was brought in. His son had over filled it to approx 240 BAR. The end of the cylinder was just starting to flare.
    I have also heard of a S300 being connected to full 300 BAR bottle, the bottle cracked open and the owner went into the kitchen to make a brew! BOOM. The end of the rifles air cylinder blew out. Luckily no one was in the room.
    One of our club members, an ex heavy plant engineer so he knew what he was doing, was filling a new HW100 cylinder when he got to 120BAR it split from top to bottom. Luckily he wasn't injured.
    Its only a matter of time unfortunately before someone is seriously injured or killed then the Health & Safety brigade will jump on the anti gun band wagon.
    The cylinder shouldn't have flared because the test pressure for 200 bar is 300 bar. So either it failed or more pressure was put into it.

You can gain quite a few bar with temperature changes.

I think lack of reading glasses leads to airguns being overfilled

Good idea to put a big red line/tape at 180 if you have reached an age where you need reading specs.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    ' Is that what it's for?'
    Classic

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    ' Is that what it's for?'
    Classic
    Most of his videos are like that.

Lots of dangerous stuff in his videos despite his catch phrase " safety is number one priority". Safety is the last thing you see in his videos.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    The cylinder shouldn't have flared because the test pressure for 200 bar is 300 bar. So either it failed or more pressure was put into it.
    I was under the impression and Ive been told by the shop owner, who has seen this on numerous occasions and changed a few flared cylinders which have been damaged by over filling. I understand it to be a fail safe system to stop a total failure.

Ive never done it myself or seen it done but it seems other have. http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....damage-the-gun Post # 4,5,12 ....
    Last edited by I. J.; 30-11-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    I think lack of reading glasses leads to airguns being overfilled

Good idea to put a big red line/tape at 180 if you have reached an age where you need reading specs.
    Or wear your specs when filling. I also never look directly square onto the gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post

More people have accidentally shot themselves ... or others... with air rifles than have been injured by bottle failures.

IJ is wrong on that score.
    Of course I realise that there has been far more people injured by unsafe gun handling. What my concern is lack of respect for very high pressure air by some. It may only take an idiot to be miss using his 300 BAR bottle by over filling etc. while the family is in the same room or a severe accident in transportation which causes severe injury or even death.

Lots of tales from paintball about hpa accidents, generally 0.8 litre or 1.1 litre bottles filling to 300 bar and to make things worse they are screwed into the bottom of the pistol grip and people dive and slide across the grass with them in one hand, they actually started designing the pistol grip portion of the guns deliberately weak so they would shear before the bottle valve. The other cause of accidents is oil getting into the cylinders and the whole thing dieselling and exploding whilst filling with the bottle in people's hands, scary stuff, I always refused to fill other people's bottles for them and the first fill of a new one is always nerve wracking.

I was under the impression and Ive been told by the shop owner, who has seen this on numerous occasions and changed a few flared cylinders which have been damaged by over filling. I understand it to be a fail safe system to stop a total failure.

Ive never done it myself or seen it done but it seems other have. http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....damage-the-gun Post # 4,5,12 ....
    It’s strange because that’s the test pressure. Not the fail pressure. Ie if tested it shouldn’t fail if you see what I mean. I don’t doubt it happened just wondering how.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    It’s strange because that’s the test pressure. Not the fail pressure. Ie if tested it shouldn’t fail if you see what I mean. I don’t doubt it happened just wondering how.
    Possibly just an extra safety device because the airgun manufacturers will have seen it all. I bet they have lost count of the number of times people send their guns back that have been overfilled. With a 'weak spot', the end filler block popping out before the cylinder ruptures completely, it could save the remainder of the gun and maybe someones life.

Exjacket Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hftmelton View Post
    Hi , might be a silly question , but I got a rotex rm8 varmint uc , it has a 200 cc bottle and its recommended to fill 232 bars, how is this possible, ive been filling to 200, where should i fill it to.
    One is the cubic capacity of the bottle and the other is the safe working pressure. They are normally test to a higher working pressure then given a safe working pressure. Mine is an FX Dreamline 200cc cylinder but I can fill to 230 bar. I only ever fill to 210, but that’s just me. Even tough it is reged I prefer to fill lower as shoot count is not my primary concern. Consistent shot string is better for me personally.