Thread: FT scope valuation Tasco / Leupold

FT scope valuation Tasco / Leupold

Looking through the loft for my Tasco custom shop (boxed with christmas tree ret and large sidewheel)

I came across a Leupold 6.5-20 x 40 that has been boosted by Premier Reticles (via Nick Jenkinson) to 14-35 (I think from memory) with 50 ft adaptor in butler creek as was de -riguer in those days. (no box)

What are these both these scopes worth please ?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by BSFNUT View Post
    Looking through the loft for my Tasco custom shop (boxed with christmas tree ret and large sidewheel)

I came across a Leupold 6.5-20 x 40 that has been boosted by Premier Reticles (via Nick Jenkinson) to 14-35 (I think from memory) with 50 ft adaptor in butler creek as was de -riguer in those days. (no box)

What are these both these scopes worth please ?

TIA
    Can’t help that much, but I paid about £200 4-6 years ago for a really nice condition (near-BNIB) gloss Leup 6.5-20x40 that has an extra horizontal cross-hair in it and came in a Link Arms/PR box saying it was a 14.5-35 PR jobbie with a No5 ret. Perhaps at some point the PR boosting was removed?

The problem is that I don’t think many people now are looking for these older classic 90s FT scopes. I’m not sure if the added features actually add much value, though they ought to and may well in a decade or two if/when collecting 90s PCP FT rigs has established the same backing that collecting 80s custom springer rigs has.

Same goes for “lesser” Leupolds. Almost everyone, whether powder-burners or air rifle, now seem to want 30mm tubes, SF, IR, “sniper” turrets, mil-spec somewhere in the description and maybe some pic rail on top for a thermal imager or laser target designator or something tacticool. Even if shooting bunnies at 30 metres.

Which means, in the right place at the right time, old Leups are bloody good value. I’ve paid as little as £60-80 for fully functional and cosmetically OK Leups in really unfashionable formats like 4x28, 4x33 and even 6x40.

I recognise that’s not great news for a seller.

Oddly, whenever I mention that I own the 6.5-20x40 above, or that I also own a near-BNIB factory-standard matte 6.5-20x40, neither of which I’ve yet got round to mounting on a rifle, I always get a PM or two offering to buy. Still not for sale, chaps.

Were I you, I’d stick it up for £350-400 and see what bites you get.

Has the custom shop got a dragon reticule?, I think Graham Bluck was the person behind these custom rets. Some, I think used to go grainy. If the reticule plane is clear I'd guess the tasco would be worth somewhere around 150 quid, maybe 200.

The Leupold...if it's in good condition I'd estimate that it could be wroth around 300 to 350 pounds.
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

Scopes

As per Simona on valuation. If by any chance the leupold needs a service and is sent back to leupold then they return it to a factory 6.5-20 due them having a little falling out with premier reticule a few years ago. Mach 1.5

I have one similar I guess and paid £400 for it late last year. Maybe I paid over the odds, but I was not going to get another one fast. I seem to remember when I did some research they had went for over £500 on maybe someone can check historical sales? Anyway I have fitted it to my Ripley XL25 and it looks the mutts nuts...

Quote Originally Posted by simona View Post
    Has the custom shop got a dragon reticule?, I think Graham Bluck was the person behind these custom rets. Some, I think used to go grainy. If the reticule plane is clear I'd guess the tasco would be worth somewhere around 150 quid, maybe 200.
    Dragon reticles didn't go grainy, the early ones on film were grainy from the start, there was also a small issue with a few of them shrivelling up if the scope got too warm.

The later glass etched examples were better in all fairness but not as good as a properly done factory glass etched reticle.

The Leopold will no doubt be nice but as mentioned above if it needs any servicing Leupold will return it to factory spec.

In light of the fact that if the Tasco goes wrong it becomes a paperweight, I wouldn't pay more than £200 provided it is in very good condition.

The Leupold I would go to £300 tops on it again if VGC with the knowledge that if it does have an issue at least you can retrieve a working 6.5-20 out of it getting it serviced by Leupold.

I am not sure whether Premier Reticles still exists, but after the death of Dick Thomas I understand they no longer modified scopes nor did repeairs.
    Last edited by rockdrill; 02-12-2020 at 06:05 AM.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

"If by any chance the Leupold needs a service and is sent back to Leupold then they return it to a factory 6.5-20"

Sorry but that is wrong. I have been in touch with Leupold Custom Shop who do the conversions - ie. new reticles installs.

They point blank refuse to have anything to do with "Premier Reticle" converted scopes any more.

They wont even entertain removing the booster. They also have limited spares for the older 25mm / 1" tubes.

I offered to pay Full price for a new reticle to be installed in my 18-40x40 EFR in 1st Focal Plane - not interested.

And when I mentioned my, Premier Reticle Converted Leupold & Stevens - L&S Ultra 20x M1A which was the forerunner to the Mk4 - that was when they really lost it, demanding the Serial Number and how I got an Export License to get it out of the USA.

Didn't go well.

So if you are going to buy one then bear it in mind - if it breaks you may have problems getting it sorted.

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zero View Post
    "If by any chance the Leupold needs a service and is sent back to Leupold then they return it to a factory 6.5-20"

Sorry but that is wrong. I have been in touch with Leupold Custom Shop who do the conversions - ie. new reticles installs.

They point blank refuse to have anything to do with "Premier Reticle" converted scopes any more.

They wont even entertain removing the booster. They also have limited spares for the older 25mm / 1" tubes.

I offered to pay Full price for a new reticle to be installed in my 18-40x40 EFR in 1st Focal Plane - not interested.

And when I mentioned my, Premier Reticle Converted Leupold & Stevens - L&S Ultra 20x M1A which was the forerunner to the Mk4 - that was when they really lost it, demanding the Serial Number and how I got an Export License to get it out of the USA.

Didn't go well.

So if you are going to buy one then bear it in mind - if it breaks you may have problems getting it sorted.

Mark.
    That’s worrying. Though I can sort of see why they might not work on modified items.

I also had an exchange with the U.K. importer a couple of years ago about fixing a 3-9x32, and they were having ITAR problems sending them back and forth to the US. Don’t know if that’s now been resolved.

Leupold were one of the first to provide a pretty bullet proof warranty. On the whole they have delivered some great products over the years. Sure its only as good as the last one, but I'm a fan. Where there is competition there is trade politics, but ha ho.

I do like a good wind up. Don't really blame Leupold rejecting highly customised out of factory scopes. Or for that matter some off the planet things their custom shops are asked for.

When it comes to ITAR rules its a mess. US trade sht bricks over it, as they can't keep track of it. Too often it all depends on some US custom's officer, and some States don't care much. And then there is Canada.
    I'm sure there is a serious side, but thats not stopped the enthusiast trade outlet or individual giving it a go. Freedom!

A UK ID card, and flying stuff back on a C130 usually worked getting PX stuff back.
    Captain Zero you should have replied you bought it from a PX. Given it in "The Sandpit"; given at Shot Show, given it at IWA, or just said you didn't have clearance to give them that information.
    They sell scopes, their scopes are found worldwide. Most finds its way onto evilbay.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    ...or just said you didn't have clearance to give them that information.
    A man with my own inate ability to escalate any situation purely for entertainment - I like it
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I do like a good wind up, a good joke, but some places have no sense of humour. I've yet to have endured a full rubber glove body search. A laugh on the other cheek, or is that between the cheeks?

Its pretty brave of scope manufacturers to have no questioned asked lifetime warranties. There is a cost which is reflected in the price but always nice to have. I do think there is a gentleman's agreement there somewhere. Have a scope for a load of years then its a bit harsh to play the get a new one because I can card.

A custom scope of an era should stay with the rifle, as thats the history that gives it all value.

Leupold

Had my leupold sent back last November for a service. Came back in 6 weeks. Not a problem so I dare say things have changed. When GMK imported Leup's they were sent to Germany for a service as I had 3 sent back from there. Mach 1.5