Leupold were one of the first to provide a pretty bullet proof warranty. On the whole they have delivered some great products over the years. Sure its only as good as the last one, but I'm a fan. Where there is competition there is trade politics, but ha ho.

I do like a good wind up. Don't really blame Leupold rejecting highly customised out of factory scopes. Or for that matter some off the planet things their custom shops are asked for.

When it comes to ITAR rules its a mess. US trade sht bricks over it, as they can't keep track of it. Too often it all depends on some US custom's officer, and some States don't care much. And then there is Canada.
I'm sure there is a serious side, but thats not stopped the enthusiast trade outlet or individual giving it a go. Freedom!

A UK ID card, and flying stuff back on a C130 usually worked getting PX stuff back.
Captain Zero you should have replied you bought it from a PX. Given it in "The Sandpit"; given at Shot Show, given it at IWA, or just said you didn't have clearance to give them that information.
They sell scopes, their scopes are found worldwide. Most finds its way onto evilbay.