Thread: Accuracy of the CZ VZ35

Accuracy of the CZ VZ35

Was very lucky to secure an example of this rifle that was just about mint condition. Had to do a bit of research to really understand how the rifle was actually designed. The Blue Book of Airguns says it’s a 4.4mm round ball, it’s successor the CZ Vz47 is a 4.46 round ball. But research looking at the patents and a great Czech website, you find it’s was made for a 4.45mm round ball. Given the German rifles tended to take the 4.4mm round ball these are the easiest to obtain. But as you can imagine with a round ball size is very crucial to engaging the rifling. The Diablo purists may argue but the round ball is actually a very accurate round. And unfortunately round ball ammo can be very inconsistent compared to standard pellets. Well to the rescue came H&N which made very high quality consistent 4.45 round ball. Yes unfortunately I use the past tense. No longer in production. I secured a lifetime supply from a vendor with old stock so I’m good. With these rounds the CZ VZ35 is almost a target rifle. The two things you have to contend with are very small V sights and a trigger that has a hard pull. But you can be extremely accurate. Given its build quality these I think may be the most accurate multi shot prewar rifle? Need to have a shoot off with a Haenel Rotary? But even if that happens the VZ35 bolt action kills it on form? Lol
    Last edited by 45flint; 28-11-2020 at 01:28 PM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    one of the few guns I'm looking for.. once this lockdown is done with...

It'll compliment my Bona and Haenel 49a, all of which have the same diet and military trainer looks
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hi Steve,

The Czechs make 4.40, 4.45 and 4.50 lead ball shot.

The Waffencentre in Gotha used to supply them or I have obtained supplies from traders on t'bay.

https://photos.google.com/search/bal...biiEkNJLhiwNPd

The 4.45 come in a similar tin to the one in the attached photo other than they are called No 10.

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Steve,

The Czechs make 4.40, 4.45 and 4.50 lead ball shot.

The Waffencentre in Gotha used to supply them or I have obtained supplies from traders on t'bay.

https://photos.google.com/search/bal...biiEkNJLhiwNPd

The 4.45 come in a similar tin to the one in the attached photo other than they are called No 10.

Kind regards,

John
    Hi John, I was aware the Czech’s made the round but in a review on Utube they commented that the Czech balls were not very uniform or well made. The H&N quality is just superb.
    Thanks for the #10 transition, need to try for myself.

I guess part of my quest here is to see in my own mind why someone would go to the expense prewar to transform a military training rifle into a superb custom stocked “target” rifle? After much lubrication to restore compression and the right ammo I can see that it really was capable of very good performance for its day. Many test of this type of rifle are preformed with poor or mismatched ammo just to get it to work.
    Last edited by 45flint; 29-11-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Hi John, I was aware the Czech’s made the round but in a review on Utube they commented that the Czech balls were not very uniform or well made. The H&N quality is just superb.
    Thanks for the #10 transition, need to try for myself.

I guess part of my quest here is to see in my own mind why someone would go to the expense prewar to transform a military training rifle into a superb custom stocked “target” rifle? After much lubrication to restore compression and the right ammo I can see that it really was capable of very good performance for its day. Many test of this type of rifle are preformed with poor or mismatched ammo just to get it to work.
    The Czech ball look uniform enough at first glance but admittedly they do not perform as well as Gamo rounds or H&N ball in airguns I have tested. At least they feed though and enable some of these unusual airguns to be used on the range.

I was wondering if it was just me as the Czechs have an excellent reputation for making quality ammo but your comments suggest these rounds in particular are not as good as they could be.

Kind regards,

John

This is the Utube that discusses the CZ lead ball ammo. He has the Vz47 so he is looking for 4.46mm. As he shows the pellet tins it looks like CZ #9 is 4.40 and CZ #10 is 4.46. His discussion is worth listening to as to quality. So I guess I’m not sure CZ does make a 4.45? (Link above didn’t work?) The pellet discussion is at 11.15 on the UTube. I did buy some H&N 4.40 and they do work in the VZ35 but not as accurately and I didn’t try multiple hopper feeding. Gamo’ s as I remember were problematic as some produced lead shavings as pressed into the barrel.

https://youtu.be/0Px4YHTbvMk
    Last edited by 45flint; 29-11-2020 at 03:47 PM.