Thread: Best o-ring piston seal lube for springer ??

Best o-ring piston seal lube for springer ??

What do you think ???

I think it' s actually silicone oil, but you have to be careful to stop it getting into metal to metal joints, where it definitely doesn't do any good.
    I used to use it a lot back in the heady days of the 1970's. A couple of drops down the transfer port used to work well in my old Airsporter.
    Nowadays I avoid it like the plague. I try to get the piston tube polished/burnished with a layer of moly disulphide and add the merest hint of Abbey SM50, which may or may not have silicone in it, I''ve never been able to be sure on that.
    Keep the metal to metal joints lubed with 3in1, Ballistol - whatever, something that says "Gun" on the tin is probably best.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    SM50 ... silicone oil with moly cut into it. Available from the sponsor, give it a dang good shake before applying a smidgeon.

https://www.jsramsbottom.com/abbey-g...sm50-30ml.html

In my earlier BSA airgunning days, as above, I'd use a small drop of SM50 smeared over the ring. These days, on fitting the seal, I'd rub a tiny amount of moly grease around the seal. Helps with fitting as well as being a long term lube.
    Last edited by TonyL; 30-11-2020 at 09:58 AM.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    SM50 ... silicone oil with moly cut into it. Available from the sponsor, give it a dang good shake before applying a smidgeon.

https://www.jsramsbottom.com/abbey-g...sm50-30ml.html
    I'm a bit reluctant to use that product, why does it not have the negative effects of other silicone greases/oils?

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    I'm a bit reluctant to use that product, why does it not have the negative effects of other silicone greases/oils?
    Know what you mean, evert, but apparently it's okay due to the moly content. If one preferred a "wetter" alternative to the moly grease method I now use, but were perturbed re the use of anything silicone based, mixing a tiny amount of moly paste or moly powder with some 30wt non-detergent motor oil would also be good in my book.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!