Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opinions on an air pistol i have bought

opinions on an air pistol i have bought

Hi all i bought a few bits from pellpax a Remington express .177 (asked to be changed to a .22) and a gamo p-900 pistol .177 i have only received half of my order up to now its been a few months but said they are waiting for stock?

Any ways my question is regarding the power of the air pistol it does not penetrate a tin can or a plastic bottle also if you fire it at wood instead of sticking into the wood it sends it right back at you? Is this normal for an air pistol and is it down to the power been 3.1ft/lbs?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    3.1 ft/lb is fine for an air pistol, but I thought the P-900 was lower than that. Have you chrono'd it?

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    3.1 ft/lb is fine for an air pistol, but I thought the P-900 was lower than that. Have you chrono'd it?
    No it just says its that on the box, im new to air rifles i bought them for me and my sons to play with in the back garden but it seems more dangerous it would of been ok if the pellet pearced the tin or plastic bottle or even if it stuck into wood it would of been a lot more safer at the minute the only way i can see them using it is to put a balloon in the middle of the garden so the pellet will penetrate the ground and not go where ever it wants. I would of at least thought it would of stuck into soft wood but there is no chance it just bounces the pellet back at you? thats why i rang them to see if they could change the air rifle to a .22 as im hoping i will not have any trouble with that but at the minute the air pistol seems useless?

Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    STOP. STOP and STOP shooting at wood before you loose an eye ! Wood rebounds airgun pellets like elastic.
    any recommendations for using it would be great as at the minute i dont think it is safe whether its my fault (shooting at the wrong material) or the power of the pistol i also find its not that accurate im a welder and i have made a load of metal targets to use but didn't attempt to use it on them because of the rebound when shooting the wood i though it would be worse on metal?

so the things i have shoot at is:

wood = sent the bullet back at me
    hard plastic bottle = put a mark on it but didnt penetrate it
    bean tin = again marked it but no penetration and unsure if the if the pellet ricochet
    balloon pegged into the grass = pop and i am assuming penetration into the ground.

The kids have had a go shooting at the ground but i would like to shoot at some sort of target without the risk of ricochet i just thought the problem was the air pistol was not powerfull enough?

3.1 would pass through a can and the others behind it, with it being a new gun id just get it replaced by the supplier as its obviously underpowered, and then hunt some cans and enjoy yourself, a concrete slab works as a good backstop aswell, the pellets tend to splatter rather than bounce back, keeps your eyes and windows abit safer 👍 hope you get it sorted
    Chris

a concrete slab works as a good backstop aswell, the pellets tend to splatter rather than bounce back
    Paper target or strong mints blue tack’d on the slab make good targets, you can also get chalk ones too

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    A cardboard box stuffed with rags is ideal for pistols

https://youtu.be/MTzzYQYy6b4

here a video first shot hits the glass the two other shots are at the plastic lenor bottle from a 8ft distance

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    A cardboard box stuffed with rags is ideal for pistols
    https://youtu.be/MTzzYQYy6b4

here a video first shot hits the glass the two other shots are at the plastic lenor bottle from a 8ft distance

its does shoot the beer can but will not shoot the glass or the plastic bottle?
    Last edited by Gary88; 29-11-2020 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    STOP. STOP and STOP shooting at wood before you loose an eye ! Wood rebounds airgun pellets like elastic.
    God Bless with this piece of advice

Invest in some lightweight proper shooting glasses and insist on anyone shooting or watching wears them 👍

At any clubs or shoots I have attended it's mandatory to wear eye protection. Doing so at home will prevent a visit to A&E or your GP.

Steel plate is fine to shoot at with lead pellets, even at 3ftlbs they will flatten and drop.

Enjoy your time with the kids

yes i will get some glasses sorted does it sound about right that the pistol will not penetrate a plastic bottle or could this pistol be underpowered i have no other experience with pistols so i am unsure on what the power should be like? Also its not that accurate but i am putting that down to the pellets as i have looked and certain pellets do not seat correctly if that makes sense so i am assuming this would be causing the pellet to fly off a certain way as some of the pellets shot dead straight?

i have been in touch with pellpax and i should have the air rifle this weekend so hopefully the rifle is a lot safer using metal targets and me and the kids can use the pistol just for shooting balloons in the middle of the garden it does that pretty good mind i am using extra large balloons

I learnt as a teenager that you need either very soft or very hard things to stop pellets safely, from my extensive experimentation. Thankfully without injury. Hard things like concrete slabs or steel plate let the pellet flatten and drop away. Soft things like boxes of rags catch them. Wood is very bad as you've found, as it's resilient. Springy; you can make bows out of it.

The easiest pellet trap is a big cardboard box full of rags: old t-shirts, towels, sheets whatever. Just tape a new front on once the original starts falling apart. Pellets can eventually chew through the middle so keep checking and rearrange the rags occasionally or stuff more in.

Pistols aren't necessarily "more miss than hit" but they are harder to shoot accurately, and cheap ones are more likely to be less accurate in the first place.

The Gamo website give a velocity of 105m/s (345 fps) for the P900, which equates to between 1.8 and 2.2 ft.lbs with the typical range of plinking pellets. That would penetrate a coke can but not a bean tin so it sounds about right.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    I learnt as a teenager that you need either very soft or very hard things to stop pellets safely, from my extensive experimentation. Thankfully without injury. Hard things like concrete slabs or steel plate let the pellet flatten and drop away. Soft things like boxes of rags catch them. Wood is very bad as you've found, as it's resilient. Springy; you can make bows out of it.

The easiest pellet trap is a big cardboard box full of rags: old t-shirts, towels, sheets whatever. Just tape a new front on once the original starts falling apart. Pellets can eventually chew through the middle so keep checking and rearrange the rags occasionally or stuff more in.

Pistols aren't necessarily "more miss than hit" but they are harder to shoot accurately, and cheap ones are more likely to be less accurate in the first place.

The Gamo website give a velocity of 105m/s (345 fps) for the P900, which equates to between 1.8 and 2.2 ft.lbs with the typical range of plinking pellets. That would penetrate a coke can but not a bean tin so it sounds about right.
    This.

I have spent decades shooting at targets mounted on big cardboard boxes stuffed full with other bits of cardboard, paper, spam mailings, catalogues, phone directories (do they still exist?), old socks with holes in them, worn-out t-shirts, etc. Almost anything soft, basically. And backed with either a lump of hardwood (old chopping board?) or metal (baking tray?). Ideally placed in front of something else resistant like a brick wall or a tree stump, preferably a decaying one.

And never a shot-through or a ricochet.