Thread: Could FPS of a pellet be actually measured in 1920?

Could FPS of a pellet be actually measured in 1920?

I just bought a BSA brochure and correspondence from the BSA dealer in the US that is dated 1920. They say in the correspondence that the BSA #1 in .177 had power of 800 FPS? Maybe a bit of marketing but not sure I have seen FPS quoted in print that was dated that early?
    Last edited by 45flint; 30-11-2020 at 02:26 AM.

They could determine approximately velocity (as far as I am aware) by use of ballistic sledges or ballistic pendulums. As to whether or not electronic means of determining velocity were available, I don't know. I'd guess that work was going on in that direction at least, but as to whether or no any viable system that gave fairly accurate results was available then remains a guess to me without a bit of research via "Google" and its friends.
    Also, as regards non electronic means, I'm led to believe that some systems used a series of spaced paper cards on a carefully set up range and measured drop between the cards and worked out velocity using Newtons Laws.

Vic Thompson.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    not electronically, but the spinning paper disc device mentioned here would do the job, or the broken thread screen version.. so yes, I think 40 years later they definitely could.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_chronograph

also here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdeen_chronograph
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Even in the 1970's BSA were using 'pine boards of a controlled thickness' to test power - Mercury and Scorpion pistols pictured in AG Digest

edbear2 Guest
    Book for sale in USA item number 292909017990 about the 1872 Le Boulenge device, claimed accuracy over shot distance was 1/40,000 of a second ....

ATB, Ed

early chrono'

Hi, I remember about 50 odd years ago!] my uncle Stan built a machine, it was a rotating electric motor driven shaft which he attached 2 cardboard discs at one foot apart. He had worked out the RPM some how? & by some mathamaticle equation ? he could work out the FPS when a pellet was shot through the 2 rotating discs. I have never seen one since, regards Al.

Read somewhere about microphones next to paper targets recording the hits. That would do it in 1920's

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    As is reading my post #3 mate
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Well I felt sure that the answer would be "certainly" but could only think of the ballistic pendulum. It turned out to be a more interesting question than I had thought. Ingenious solutions in a pre-electronics age.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by cringe View Post
    Hi, I remember about 50 odd years ago!] my uncle Stan built a machine, it was a rotating electric motor driven shaft which he attached 2 cardboard discs at one foot apart. He had worked out the RPM some how? & by some mathamaticle equation ? he could work out the FPS when a pellet was shot through the 2 rotating discs. I have never seen one since, regards Al.
    I dream of building something like that, its simplicity is just very appealing.
    But there are too many other projects on the list...