Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Scotland / Licensing...

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....

Moving to Scotland / Licensing...

I'm soon to be moving to Orkney, which obviously comes under the Scottish licensing laws for airguns.

I was just wondering if anyone else has done similar (moving from England) and if you obtained a visitor permit first or straight to full certificate. I previously held FAC here but gave it up in 2018 so just have legal limit airguns now. We will be renting initially so not sure if that will affect things, but I have found a club in Orkney which will cover the 'good reason' part.

I will be phoning Inverness licensing later but would still be interested to hear if anyone else has done this and how smoothly (or not) it went.

Cheers
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by BarnsleyBob View Post
    I'm soon to be moving to Orkney, which obviously comes under the Scottish licensing laws for airguns.

I was just wondering if anyone else has done similar (moving from England) and if you obtained a visitor permit first or straight to full certificate. I previously held FAC here but gave it up in 2018 so just have legal limit airguns now. We will be renting initially so not sure if that will affect things, but I have found a club in Orkney which will cover the 'good reason' part.

I will be phoning Inverness licensing later but would still be interested to hear if anyone else has done this and how smoothly (or not) it went.

Cheers
    Blackrider will be able to give advice as he moved up to Perth.

Plnking in the garden is also a good reason to own one too

Target Shooting: Air weapon users may undertake target shooting, whether formal or informal, on private land provided that this can be done safely and without danger to the public. The applicant should specify the land over which they intend to or have permission to shoot regularly, providing the full address of that land (though this does not restrict their ability to shoot elsewhere where permission is also given). The land need not be owned or rented by the applicant, nor need they have regular or automatic access to it. Farmers and landowners may, for example, allow air weapon owners to shoot on their land, on a formal or informal basis.

Whether the shooting takes place on open land, such as a farm or in woodland, or in a residential garden it is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that appropriate measures are in place to protect people and animals from harm. The applicant should therefore, at Part B of application form AWL1, provide sufficient detail about the arrangements in place to provide assurance to the Chief Constable that shooting may be undertaken safely. This may, for example, include details of precautions taken such as the erection of backstops or other measures to prevent or contain ricochets or missed shots.

"Plinking" is a term often used by those who use air weapons and refers to informal target shooting undertaken at standard or non-standard targets, such as cans and bottles, often in built-up areas. As above, where shooting is undertaken in a confined space, such as a domestic garden, it is incumbent on the shooter to consider if this can be done safely, and to provide evidence of this in support of their application. Shooting in areas to which the public have unrestricted access, such as communal gardens or similar areas is not acceptable.

It should be emphasised that land is not intrinsically "safe" or "unsafe" and any person using an air weapon should exercise discretion in deciding whether to shoot in particular circumstances. However, in considering whether a person has "good reason" to use an air weapon for target shooting, the police will wish to be satisfied that the applicant has considered and taken appropriate precautions to ensure the safety of others. While the police may, in a number of cases, wish to seek further information from the applicant, it is expected that most cases will be determined on the basis of a properly evidenced application. It is expected that a home or land visit will be deemed necessary only in a very small number of cases.

Many applicants may state that their reason for applying for a certificate is to target shoot at an air weapon club (whether or not this is an approved club under the terms of the Air Weapons and Licensing (Scotland) Act 2015). The applicant should normally provide evidence of membership of such a club.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/gu...land/pages/20/

Thanks bighit. I've read quite a bit but think I need it from the horses mouth regarding which cert to apply for initially. Need to call Inverness licensing back tomorrow as they only take calls between 0900-1200. 👍
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Don't see how a visitor's permit would be appropriate - you are not visiting.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Thanks bighit. I've read quite a bit but think I need it from the horses mouth regarding which cert to apply for initially. Need to call Inverness licensing back tomorrow as they only take calls between 0900-1200. ��
    If you follow that link it will give all the options to own them.

This is the conditions page https://www.gov.scot/publications/gu...land/pages/21/

I only have the general condition on mine as I use it for vermin control.

You can call any firearms office you like for a query as they should all be using the same legislation .

They may all have the same office times at present though.

My local is Aberdeen and they have been great with queries I have .

I email them more than call though.

Depending on the timescale of your move, applying before you move may be a good idea. Some English and Welsh shooters have applied for a full license rather than a visitor one as they come over the borders for shooting competitions .

If you apply now and get it then once you move it will just be a address change .

The firearms office will advise better.
    Last edited by bighit; 01-12-2020 at 01:36 PM.

Yes you can email firearms licencing at Inverness, they're pretty good at replying, if necessary pm me and I can put you right through to the desk phone of one of the team.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Don't see how a visitor's permit would be appropriate - you are not visiting.

Absolutely it might not be appropriate and, amazingly enough, I'm aware I'm not just visiting...

The visitors certificate does cover 'up to' 12 months though (this is something to be requested/clarified on application) so I just wondered if it might be an option given we are not actually living there yet, just to cover taking my airguns there legally as a temporary measure.

Cheers
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Yes you can email firearms licencing at Inverness, they're pretty good at replying, if necessary pm me and I can put you right through to the desk phone of one of the team.
    Thank you very much! Really appreciate your offer, I'll be phoning at 9 tomorrow but will email if they can't answer and PM you if I get no joy in a few days
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

PS If moving to Ork-nee, take a thermal semmit with you.

PPS one of my young friends ('Drew Mann) is a local bobby in Lerwick but I think he covers most of the island.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.

PS If moving to Ork-nee, take a thermal semmit with you.

PPS one of my young friends ('Drew Mann) is a local bobby in Lerwick but I think he covers most of the island.
    Haha! We're moving there at the best time of year too- middle of January

I only saw one police car the whole time we were there last, and a quick read of the 'crime page' in the Orcadian paper was an eye opener having done the Job down here in England for the past 17 years. I'm guessing your mate in Shetland will have similar low crime levels, it's certainly one aspect that's made the move attractive to us.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do

I only saw one police car the whole time we were there last, and a quick read of the 'crime page' in the Orcadian paper was an eye opener having done the Job down here in England for the past 17 years. I'm guessing your mate in Shetland will have similar low crime levels, it's certainly one aspect that's made the move attractive to us.
    Middle of January is much the same as middle of June up here mate, sure you will get used to it.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Enjoy the Skull Cracker local brew...and look out for the Berserker from Lewis.

I'm sure you will be enjoying the OVD and the Trawler as well in time.

What's the job car going to be?

You and your family will be in a fantastic place to have a great life.

I've loved all my extended tours of the islands...even Tiree

Cheers Steve

My mates first job in Lerwick was dealing with an escaped cow roaming the streets. The other cops were unsure how to handle it but my mate had been brought up on a dairy farm. Right man for the job!

My mates first job in Lerwick was dealing with an escaped cow roaming the streets. The other cops were unsure how to handle it but my mate had been brought up on a dairy farm. Right man for the job!
    Haha! That's cracking, and similar to some here in Norfolk. Sheep, horses, ducks... the scariest was a Highland bull that didn't want to go back in his field, my mate dove back in the car head first as I bunged it in reverse up the road, blue lights going with the bull running at the car. Talk about 'Hot Fuzz' moment
    Last edited by Hellequin; 01-12-2020 at 08:28 PM.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by Weasle View Post
    Enjoy the Skull Cracker local brew...and look out for the Berserker from Lewis.

I'm sure you will be enjoying the OVD and the Trawler as well in time.

What's the job car going to be?

You and your family will be in a fantastic place to have a great life.

I've loved all my extended tours of the islands...even Tiree

Cheers Steve
    Hi Steve, hope you're keeping well? No more job cars for me, I retired from all that stuff in September. Looking forward to a lot less stress!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd