Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving to Scotland / Licensing...

Quote Originally Posted by BarnsleyBob View Post
    Hi Steve, hope you're keeping well? No more job cars for me, I retired from all that stuff in September. Looking forward to a lot less stress!
    Hi Paul

We are all good thanks...

You and the family will be in a right area for having a great lifestyle. To bring children up in that environment during their early years will give them a love of nature that will never leave them... and a freedom to roam safely that is rare in many places these days.

Stay safe... Stay Healthy...

Cheers Steve

The Air Weapon certificate is a doddle to apply for, even when you are shooting in your garden.

The bigger issue you face is arriving here with air rifles WITHOUT a certificate. In such a case, you are holding illegal firearms and liable to find yourself in trouble. It will be a good idea to find a gun shop on the island, capable of storing them for you pending release of the certificate.

I'm down in Argyll and the local police thought it a really big deal at the time.

Oh, welcome to Scotland btw.

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Quote Originally Posted by gwendog View Post
    The Air Weapon certificate is a doddle to apply for, even when you are shooting in your garden.

The bigger issue you face is arriving here with air rifles WITHOUT a certificate. In such a case, you are holding illegal firearms and liable to find yourself in trouble. It will be a good idea to find a gun shop on the island, capable of storing them for you pending release of the certificate.

I'm down in Argyll and the local police thought it a really big deal at the time.

Oh, welcome to Scotland btw.
    Thanks gwendog, we're looking forward to the move!

I phoned licensing the other day and the lass said that the application takes around 13 weeks, but it sounds straightforward to be honest. She also said that a visitor certificate IS an option initially.

My main concern is that the place we're renting is usually a holiday let (rentals are hard to find in Orkney) so the 'safe storage' might be an issue for me; I have trigger locks but no lockable cupboard. I may well just leave them at my dads place in Yorkshire until we buy a house later next year, as we've a trip planned for August so could (hopefully) be in a position to pick em up then.

All the best.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Safe storage is any reasonable measure to keep the guns out of the hands of unauthorised users. Inside a cupboard/wardrobe with trigger locks on should be fine. They never asked where I kept mine, and they knew they weren't in my gun cabinets as they'd already looked inside to see my other guns.

Quote Originally Posted by distantcamera View Post
    Safe storage is any reasonable measure to keep the guns out of the hands of unauthorised users. Inside a cupboard/wardrobe with trigger locks on should be fine. They never asked where I kept mine, and they knew they weren't in my gun cabinets as they'd already looked inside to see my other guns.
    That sounds more sensible, thanks.

I'm curious though... how do you crash a Sinclair ZX81?
    First 'computer' I ever had was one of them.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by BarnsleyBob View Post
    That sounds more sensible, thanks.

I'm curious though... how do you crash a Sinclair ZX81?
    First 'computer' I ever had was one of them.

Sniggered at that. My wife managed to pass me TWICE on a single lap at Knockhill. Will never be allowed to forget it (Harley 1200 vs Honda RC45)

Sniggered at that. My wife managed to pass me TWICE on a single lap at Knockhill. Will never be allowed to forget it (Harley 1200 vs Honda RC45)
    Please tell me she was on the Honda and you were on the Hog?

I've an old VFR in my garage (not rich enough for an RC30 or 45) and absolutely love the v4!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

She was on the Honda, I was on a Buell piece of s**t. In my defence, she was useful on track, even asked to try out for Yamaha at Donnington. Said no as she felt her priority was our 13yo daughter.

You should look for an RC35, the RVF400. Stunning machines, real world useable, and unbelievable quality.

She was on the Honda, I was on a Buell piece of s**t. In my defence, she was useful on track, even asked to try out for Yamaha at Donnington. Said no as she felt her priority was our 13yo daughter.

You should look for an RC35, the RVF400. Stunning machines, real world useable, and unbelievable quality.
    I love those little 400's but I'm not sure my creaky old joints would be happy riding one. I've a Tiger 900 as well as the VFR, plus an older CBR600 that I'm now trying to sell before we move, more because I won't have space up there for 3, at least at first.

You're right about build quality though, the late 80's & 90's Honda sports & sport tourers were a different class.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

One of my acquaintances in the village still has two 750 vfrs in his garage. He works overseas & I doubt they don't have any more than 3000 miles each on them. Unfortunately he won't sell.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    One of my acquaintances in the village still has two 750 vfrs in his garage. He works overseas & I doubt they don't have any more than 3000 miles each on them. Unfortunately he won't sell.
    Blimey thats barely run in for a VFR! Mine's a 95 model with 66k on the clock but still smooth as. The 94-97 were the last of the 750's before they went to 800cc. After that they went v-tech and back to chain driven cams. A backward move from big H, in my humble opinion...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd