Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement Re. Sales threads

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight

Announcement Re. Sales threads

Over the last few days, there has been a rash of members breaking sales rules, particularly offering to buy off the back of valuation threads and items not being priced.

If you intend to do any buying or selling on the forum, please take the time to read the rules. As the rules stand, bans are specified for members breaking them, from here on in I will be applying these bans.

Thank you and have a lovely Christmas.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Are you suffering from attention deficit syndrome as I keep seeing comments about your power craze on various other forums!!!

You can simply message the offenders rather than threaten people with bans as before long you will be on a forum with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornishmolecat View Post
    Are you suffering from attention deficit syndrome as I keep seeing comments about your power craze on various other forums!!!

You can simply message the offenders rather than threaten people with bans as before long you will be on a forum with yourself.
    It's against the forum rules and that is what is being said.

Don't offer to buy, or try to sell off the back of a valuation thread

Hi. Am posting this to clarify things. When a valuation thread is posted, it must be treated as that, and nothing more. Once an owner of an item has a sound valuation figure, if they then wish to sell, they must start a fresh sales thread in either the main sales section, or if a collectable, in the collectors section, or with my blessing (if it is a collectable), in both . Turning a valuation thread into a sales thread will result in a two week holiday.

Similarly anyone posting on a valuation thread, or sending a p-m to an o-p that they would like to buy, or swap, with an item in question, irrespective of their motivation, is also unfortunately going to get themselves a two week holiday from the BBS. Asking an owner to let you know when they offer their item for sale, too, will imo constitute offering to buy off the back of a valuation thread, so please don't do it . Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I'm sure the the other forums have similar rules

Why should he waste his time messaging offenders? There's rules that explain the consequences of breaking them, this post is going above and beyond reminding people to stick to them in my opinion. (This post was in response to cornishmolecat's)

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    I have seen a number of sales threads that end abruptly with "now sold" or similar. I often wonder if the item has been sold to a BBS member as there is know way of telling. I think it should have to be self evident on every sales thread as to which member an item was sold to.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Cornish who?

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    I have seen a number of sales threads that end abruptly with "now sold" or similar. I often wonder if the item has been sold to a BBS member as there is know way of telling. I think it should have to be self evident on every sales thread as to which member an item was sold to.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    Hi Barrel.

As BBS Admin are happy for members to advertise items for sale on here and elsewhere, a sales thread ending abruptly as you describe could indicate the item has sold somewhere else, alternatively there are members who like to keep their purchasing activity private and buy via the PM system.

I'm happy for both of these scenarios to continue and wouldn't want to hinder members sales by adding new rules --- if someone wants to sell, let them do so as unrestricted and as simply as possible.

One thing I don't like in sales is idle chit chat --- lets keep it strictly business which keeps things fair for all vendors.

All the best Mick

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Thanks for the reply Mick it's appreciated.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

That’s a bold statement from a new member with only a few posts.

Quote Originally Posted by charub View Post
    It was a tad too bold I'm afraid.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Dont forget in future that gobbing off to the mods also gets you the word BANNED under your user name as well, Lol. Thats if you even have a future on bbs.. Col.

Quote Originally Posted by colin g View Post
    Dont forget in future that gobbing off to the mods also gets you the word BANNED under your user name as well, Lol. Thats if you even have a future on bbs.. Col.
    In this particular instance, there were several factors.

Short length of time on here.

Lack of contributions

And a dickhead statement, I've been sorting threads all week without banning anyone. So have other mods. Gets to the point where you might think the message isn't getting through.

I thought my statement was polite.

His ban is temporary, but it can change.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    Thanks for the reply Mick it's appreciated.

Kindest regards

Barrel

No problem at all, Barrel.

As long as sales keep running smoothly and folks aren't confused by the sales section rules, I'm a happy bunny.

At the end of the day, the less rules we have, the less time Admin have to spend enforcing them, in the main I'm more than happy with the way forum members tend to police themselves in sales.

By rights, sales section adverts should only run for two weeks according to the rules, I tend to turn a blind eye to this and allow folks one month.
    If an item hasn't sold after a month I'd advise the vendor to have a look at his pricing or try advertising on another platform.

There are just the small issues that Dave points out that need addressing, hence his timely reminder.

All the best Mick

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I think the mods on here do a great job, and we only see the tip of the iceberg so to speak, like ducks their dainty little feet are going like the clappers under the surface to keep the forum looking calm

I must admit I was a bit taken aback by the post from Cornishmolecat, that is a guy who I'll wager has never worked as part of an admin team, so I hope he takes the behaviour modification treatment in the spirit in which it's meant as if Dave was as power crazed as he thinks then his membership would now be in a black site never to the the light of day again

So keep up the good work guys, a gently nudge is fine when someone makes a mistake, but everyone can read, so the basics should be a given

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by charub View Post
    And a death-wish, it would appear.
    Nice one, Dave.