Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soft spring for a HW35

I have just made a short video in my garage. I think a little of the twang maybe lost through the quality of the audio but you can still hear the twang.

http://imgur.com/a/U0WyVye

I had to upload the video again as there was no sound first time.
    If I managed to find something to insert into the tp, even with adhesive wouldn't it work loose?
    Last edited by gtfreight; 04-12-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    If I managed to find something to insert into the tp, even with adhesive wouldn't it work loose?
    not sith something decent - loctite 680 or even superglue. I've done guns over 10 years ago that show no sign of the TP inserts moving - and the 35 has an even longer port, so much more surface area for the glue.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    not sith something decent - loctite 680 or even superglue. I've done guns over 10 years ago that show no sign of the TP inserts moving - and the 35 has an even longer port, so much more surface area for the glue.
    Thanks Jon. I have had a look on the auction site and found this. Do you think it will be suitable even though it will be 3mm?

Last edited by gtfreight; 04-12-2020 at 12:48 PM.

yes, it's fine. 3mm (as the port is so long) will be fine too. I use a 1" flat ended dowel to make sure it's not proud. Give the comp tube end of the port a very subtle radius (just take the sharp edges off). the port can be 1mm short to be safe but ideally no more. ideally it should be a sliding fit - it's it's too loose, mangle the outside a little to give it some grip / friction. try and degrease the current port bore with a bit of string and some degreaser, it will make the glue way stronger.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks for your help Jon. I'll order the tubing and when I've fitted it I'll give you an update.

yes, it's fine. 3mm (as the port is so long) will be fine too. I use a 1" flat ended dowel to make sure it's not proud. Give the comp tube end of the port a very subtle radius (just take the sharp edges off). the port can be 1mm short to be safe but ideally no more. ideally it should be a sliding fit - it's it's too loose, mangle the outside a little to give it some grip / friction. try and degrease the current port bore with a bit of string and some degreaser, it will make the glue way stronger.
    I machine them as a slight taper so that half their length pushes easily into the port, but the last half gradually becomes a press fit. Jon.

After the Loctite has cured I run a drill back through in case the port has shrunk.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I machine them as a slight taper so that half their length pushes easily into the port, but the last half gradually becomes a press fit. Jon.

After the Loctite has cured I run a drill back through in case the port has shrunk.

All the best Mick
    I do much the same mate, and i add a small countersink to the port in the cylinder for the taper / flare to get into.... But I'm thinking Gary probably doesn't have a lathe

I do much the same mate, and i add a small countersink to the port in the cylinder for the taper / flare to get into.... But I'm thinking Gary probably doesn't have a lathe
    I don't even have a decent drill.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 04-12-2020 at 06:57 PM.

All done now. Deejayuu (Jules) sent me a couple of sleeves (foc) and I fitted one this afternoon. The twang was still there and the gun was giving similar figures to when the leather piston was in so I put the other spring which has about 30mm more preload than the current one back in and it's back to where I like it.
    Emma may not be too pleased though because when the tp was 4mm there was no preload until trigger block was screwed in which made it nearly as easy as a HW30 to cock but tough titty Emma, it's mine.
    If a .177 barrel comes up cheap enough I'd like to see how it performs in that calibre but that's a job for another day.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 12-12-2020 at 04:52 PM.