Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does someone recognise this scope?

Does someone recognise this scope?

Hi,

I'm trying to replicate this Titan (at the top in the first photo).

I think it looks the part!

Does someone recognise the scope?

I would love to find the short and stubby Titan silencer too.

Cheers, Louis

It looks German. Schmidt & Bender or Pecar would be my guess.

There’s no zoom ring so that type of scope will be fixed on very low mag, probably around 2.5x but possibly as low as 1.5x. They’re primarily used for big game hunting.

Cheers
    Greg

I would go along with Schmidt & Bender -- if I remember rightly they made a 2.5 X 20 at one time which, although relatively expensive, was very popular.

Thumbs up

Hi Louis

I have a steel bodied Weaver 2.5x1 that is a similar type of thing but being steel, It doesn't have the curved ocular bell as the one in the pics which will be aluminium, Have you checked fleabay for ones similar to the pics>

John 👍
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Thank you Greg, Allan and John!

You must be right, Schmidt & Bender. Nice.

I don't think this is exactly the same model, but very similar. This one is 1.25-4x20

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Louis

I have a steel bodied Weaver 2.5x1 that is a similar type of thing but being steel, It doesn't have the curved ocular bell as the one in the pics which will be aluminium, Have you checked fleabay for ones similar to the pics>

John 👍
    That looks very nice. The old Weavers are excellent. I have a few B4's which look great on sixties Crosmans.
    I have looked on fleabay, but I must check for Schmidt & Bender now. Cheers

I can't believe a Schmidt & Bender would be fitted on an air rifle in a magazine advert as shown above. Something perhaps an owner may retro fit.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I can't believe a Schmidt & Bender would be fitted on an air rifle in a magazine advert as shown above. Something perhaps an owner may retro fit.

Baz
    I know that John Bowkett, who designed the gun, likes good, simple optics. Wouldn't surprise me if it was his idea?

I found something probably vastly inferior, but similar looking, on fleabay. Ordered it from China today. We'll see!

Last edited by jirushi; 10-12-2020 at 07:51 PM.

I think years ago Jim Tyler used to have a Schmitt and Bender 2.5x22 on one of his guns, maybe on his HW50
    with the John Bowkett stock, which looks very similar to the one on the Titan. Regards Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    I think years ago Jim Tyler used to have a Schmitt and Bender 2.5x22 on one of his guns, maybe on his HW50
    with the John Bowkett stock, which looks very similar to the one on the Titan. Regards Max
    A JB stock on a HW50? That sounds sweet

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post

I found something probably vastly inferior, but similar looking, on fleabay. Ordered it from China today. We'll see!

That’s a knock-off Leupold VX3. I don’t mean that in a derogatory way, I actually have one on a mk1 BSA Lightning. I’ve not managed to break it yet! It’s only recoil that would kill one so it should have an easy life on a PCP.

When it arrives you might be lucky enough to have the little Leupold logo on the side. They have to remove it from the photos for copyright infringement!

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    That’s a knock-off Leupold VX3. I don’t mean that in a derogatory way, I actually have one on a mk1 BSA Lightning. I’ve not managed to break it yet! It’s only recoil that would kill one so it should have an easy life on a PCP.

When it arrives you might be lucky enough to have the little Leupold logo on the side. They have to remove it from the photos for copyright infringement!

Cheers
    Greg
    Hello Greg,
    Cool!
    How is the glass on this Chinese clone?
    I find that many SMK scopes for instance, are surprisingly clear.
    Must have to do with low magnification as well.
    Another benefit of low mag and small objective, in my experience, is less issues with parallax and blurryness.
    Not sure if this is true, but with my cheapo x20 scopes, I see the crosshair and target quite clearly at different distances, whereas with x40, things become blurry.
    Might also have to do with crosshairs; fine ones have more blurriness potential than thick ones? Hmmm, must do some testing.

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    Hello Greg,
    Cool!
    How is the glass on this Chinese clone?
    I have to say it’s surprisingly good. I have a genuine VX-3 1.5-5x20 on a Sako .375 and when you do a side by side comparison it’s obvious how different they are, but that doesn’t stop it being a decent little scope in its own right.

I’m not an advocate of Chinese counterfeiting. You, like myself bought one knowing full well it wasn’t the real thing. I’ve seen a lot of those passed off as genuine items with the buyer getting ripped off!

When it arrives let us know what you think.

Cheers
    Greg

If I saw a rifle advertised by manufacturers in a magazine with a Schmidt & Bender scope fitted at a low total price as shown above, I would snap it up. I would sell the scope and fit a cheaper one. My Drulov Eagle was fitted with a Kahles scope but I took it off when I sold as it is worth more than the rifle.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    JB used a Schmitt and Bender 2.5X for many years. He told me that it originally belonged to the late Eddie Barber. He probably popped it on to the Titan MCO10 to give it a bit of class for the publicity shot?