Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does someone recognise this scope?

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    JB used a Schmitt and Bender 2.5X for many years. He told me that it originally belonged to the late Eddie Barber. He probably popped it on to the Titan MCO10 to give it a bit of class for the publicity shot?
    My instinct was right then

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    A JB stock on a HW50? That sounds sweet
    I think it was a one off custom made from elm. He's probably still got it.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    I have to say it’s surprisingly good. I have a genuine VX-3 1.5-5x20 on a Sako .375 and when you do a side by side comparison it’s obvious how different they are, but that doesn’t stop it being a decent little scope in its own right.

I’m not an advocate of Chinese counterfeiting. You, like myself bought one knowing full well it wasn’t the real thing. I’ve seen a lot of those passed off as genuine items with the buyer getting ripped off!

When it arrives let us know what you think.

Cheers
    Greg
    Hi Greg,
    That sounds promising. I will post my thoughts about the scope when it arrives; probably in one or two months, if I'm lucky, with all the post delays!

I found the Schmidt & Bender. A German fleabay seller has it for auction, now at 270 GBP. Above my budget, but it must be a good scope. The reticle looks nice too - very simple and great for moving targets; I guess this was designed for driven wild boar and deer.

The scope sold for 510 GBP. Woops. They must be very nice. But the Chinese jobby will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    That’s a knock-off Leupold VX3. I don’t mean that in a derogatory way, I actually have one on a mk1 BSA Lightning. I’ve not managed to break it yet! It’s only recoil that would kill one so it should have an easy life on a PCP.

When it arrives you might be lucky enough to have the little Leupold logo on the side. They have to remove it from the photos for copyright infringement!

Cheers
    Greg
    Hi Greg,
    The "Leupold" arrived today.
    I am pleased with it, but I haven't tested it in the field yet.
    Cheers, Louis

Hi mate do you have a link to the scope , is it a genuine or a chinese knock off thanks

The gold ring goes very well with the brass on the action 👍
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

That looks great on the Falcon. 20mm low mag scopes are brilliant. I have a few, simmons WTC, Simmons Pro diamond, Simmons WTC (New version) and a Nikko Gold crown. I've never been able to part with them, they've been trusty optics for lightweight set ups.

Cheers gents.
    Mind you, it is a Titan. LOL
    The scope is a Chinese copy. It didn't show the Leupold name in the ad.
    Not sure if the link will show, but otherwise search for
    "1.5-5X20 Rifle Scope Duplex Reticle Illuminate Mil dot Hunting Sight W/Cap"

https://www./itm/1-5-5X20-Rifle-Scop...72.m2749.l2649

Scope

Remember reading in the airgun world, around 1977 Fred grimwade used a schmit 1.5_4x20 on a weihrauch hw35 he was testing at the time. I thought the scope looked good but soon forgot about it when found out the price ! ( Still at school) !

Hi Greg,
    The "Leupold" arrived today.
    I am pleased with it, but I haven't tested it in the field yet.
    Cheers, Louis
    That looks well Louis, really suits the rifle.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by XDRIVER View Post
    Remember reading in the airgun world, around 1977 Fred grimwade used a schmit 1.5_4x20 on a weihrauch hw35 he was testing at the time. I thought the scope looked good but soon forgot about it when found out the price ! ( Still at school) !
    There was a rumour that "Fred Grimwade" was in fact Eddie Barber. Can anyone verify that?

Sorry yes a Titan!

Have you researched the history of Titan? Did it become Falcon and then finally Air arms?

They are well made PCPs and the Falcon light hunter with the thumb hole stock must be up there with the prettiest rifles.

Cheers gents.
    Mind you, it is a Titan. LOL
    The scope is a Chinese copy. It didn't show the Leupold name in the ad.
    Not sure if the link will show, but otherwise search for
    "1.5-5X20 Rifle Scope Duplex Reticle Illuminate Mil dot Hunting Sight W/Cap"

https://www./itm/1-5-5X20-Rifle-Scop...72.m2749.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    There was a rumour that "Fred Grimwade" was in fact Eddie Barber. Can anyone verify that?
    Yes, Eddie Barber wrote under many nom de plumes in AGW.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Titan

Not in my interest being a target shooter, but I do browse the collectors forum as also being an old fart, and spotted the Titan name and the logo and recognised it!

I shot air pistol competitively in the 80's with a FWB 65, so a few years ago was interested when a club member had a Chinese copy of a FWB 65 so I bought it out of interest! Yes, it was marketed as a Titan, and the the logo is the same, same Titan. With the pistol I also bought a copy of "Airgun World" dated March 1989, that had a test of the Titan copy FWB 65.

I had it restored and its so close a copy that genuine FWB parts fitted! Its cased in an original case, and is now part of my collection of Match air pistols, all but that one that I bought new, and shot in competition over 40 years.

That copy was made by Huanquiu in China, and Titan was listed in 1989 as :-

Titan Developments Ltd
    West Midlands Freeport
    Birmingham Airport B26 3QD
    Tel: 021-782 2117

Titans were listed for sale by several advertisers in that copy of Airgun World, and you guys would be green with envy at the many adverts for custom stocks (1989 prices!) for the guns you guys now see as Classics, then just plinkers!

Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?